Moparts

What to use to fix hole in intake runner?

Posted By: DaveRS23

What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/20/08 01:49 AM

I ground a hole in my intake port. (I know, dumb stunt) Anyway, will JB Weld fix it? Or is there something better available at my local auto parts store that will fix it? If there is nothing readily available locally that will do, what will I have to get? Oh, it's an aluminum head.
Thanks!
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/20/08 02:05 AM

get It welded!any epoxy is only a temporary fix!!

Attached picture 4889892-_WI_0326.jpg

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/20/08 02:08 AM

Not what I wanted to hear, but okay. Thanks.
Posted By: Get-X

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/20/08 02:10 AM

Have somebody tig weld it shut. That's the beauty of using aluminum, you can fix them
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/20/08 03:10 AM

Quote:

get It welded!any epoxy is only a temporary fix!!

Don't feel bad about grinding though the port, my Eddy head that I ground through 3 times, twice after having it welded needed a good tig welder to fix it properly the fourth time it was welded. Check your repair real closely to make sure that the repair covers all of the hole and any subsequent cracks that result fom the welding, I didn't look close enough after the third reapir and fought a oil consumption problem for one complete year I'm still learning how many different ways you can mess up a HP motor
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/20/08 03:12 AM

Iron...Splash Zone.

Aluminum...Weld that (I know, I know...Can't say Ditch on Moparts).
Posted By: 383man

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/21/08 12:35 AM

I had my sons Eddy head runner welded were we put a small hole in it but it was very hard to get at so we used this metal epoxy from Manley and put it over the weld. Ron
Posted By: rebel

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/21/08 12:50 AM

weld it to be sure. another racer i know used some epoxy on a set of B1TS heads. the epoxy fell out & allowed the water to hydraulic the cylinder which in turn threw a leg outta bed. new mega block was trash & the head was severely cracked & distorted. the price to weld is waaaaay less than the price to replace all that gear. weld it!
not saying this is going to happen to you but the B1 boy didn't think this would happen to him. how lucky do you feel?

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/21/08 02:31 AM

Thanks for the replys. I'm relieved that I am not the only one who has done this. I was being real careful, BUT I was trying to get the last little bit out and............. Anyway, there is a shop here in town that said they can weld it up. I'll drop it off Monday. Thanks again.
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/21/08 03:27 PM

If you broke through to the head bolt area in the intake ports, they make sleeve kits for this. Or, just put silicone under the washer and on the threads. This will stop the oil too.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What to use to fix hole in intake runner? - 12/21/08 03:44 PM

I have to tube my one W-5 head, trying to get more
out of it I got thin in one of the bolt area's, so
I need to get a tube in there. I didnt see it at first
and was feeling the port and I thought I felt a bump
at that point and for some reason I pushed on that
spot and it blew thru... glad I found it then
© 2024 Moparts Forums