Moparts

Oil pump -replace between race motor rebuild???

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Oil pump -replace between race motor rebuild??? - 12/20/08 12:25 AM

How often do you guy's replace your oilpump?
I have had my Melling high volume pump and bronze distributor shaft in the car for 2 years and 200 passes. Should I replace them or keep running them for another two years?? The shaft still looks like new!
Thanks Mike
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Oil pump -replace between race motor rebuild??? - 12/20/08 01:43 AM

The only way to be sure is to take your pump apart and inspect it. Check for gouging in the rotor, case and end plate. Also use a feeler gauge and check the clearance between the rotor and cover. If there are a lot of scratches and nicks on the rotor replace it. Remember, oil goes through the pump before it gets filtered so it can be nasty looking.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oil pump -replace between race motor rebuild??? - 12/20/08 03:13 AM

Like every part in a race motor that gets used hard, inspect it carefully and if there is any doubt about it replace it. Keep in mind though that a proven piece that isn't broken shouldn't be fixed or replaced
Posted By: Glen440

Re: Oil pump -replace between race motor rebuild??? - 12/20/08 04:28 AM

I just inspect the oil pump rotor to see if it needs replaced. in 200 passes and no hard crap through it, it would be ok. My last motor had 500 passes and broke and I put that oil pump on its backup for the last 200. My 511 ate an oil pump pretty quick cause something went through it. didn't make it to the bearings but ate the pump.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Oil pump -replace between race motor rebuild??? - 12/20/08 04:57 AM

Whenever you freshen a motor ,Just use common sense

I have a friend, high buck operation races Super Comp and hits about 10 divisionals and 6 national events a year ..

Rolls down the road in a diesel pusher motor home with a stacker trailer ..

Only buys rods and mains every other year on a 632 Big Chief

I think thats dumb but, its his money so ..

© 2024 Moparts Forums