Moparts

question about welding on rearend

Posted By: 80arrow

question about welding on rearend - 11/10/13 02:58 PM

I'm switching to coil overs on the back of my 33 this weekend and I need to weld the adjustable shock brackets to the axle tubes. It is still in the car so its not in a jig and there is no alignment bar going through the axle tubes. I was going to tack the mounts on and the weld about 1-1 1/2 inches at a time and let it cool in between. Is this the right way to do this to keep from bending the axle tubes? Also I'll try to keep the shocks vertical front to back but should I tip the tops towards the center a little? Its a ladder bar set-up. Thanks
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: question about welding on rearend - 11/10/13 03:03 PM

I tip my shocks about 10* to the front. you should be ok to weld a little at a time on the mounts. I have done it before.
is it cold up there yet?
Posted By: jcc

Re: question about welding on rearend - 11/10/13 03:07 PM

I assume, there will no weight on the car. I suspect it might work fine, worse case is to cut off ends and reweld with alignment bar. The biggest problem to me is how much effort you need to undertake to see if the housing warped after welding, and maybe just bite the bullet and do it right once. I hope we hear the success rate in this process from others.

Re: question about welding on rearend - 11/10/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

I tip my shocks about 10* to the front. you should be ok to weld a little at a time on the mounts. I have done it before.
is it cold up there yet?

Yes it is, we have a couple inches of snow up here . I'll tip them towards the front a little to then, thanks.

Re: question about welding on rearend - 11/10/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

I assume, there will no weight on the car. I suspect it might work fine, worse case is to cut off ends and reweld with alignment bar. The biggest problem to me is how much effort you need to undertake to see if the housing warped after welding, and maybe just bite the bullet and do it right once. I hope we hear the success rate in this process from others.

You are correct, there is no weight on the car. I wouldn't check it after welding, if the tires start to wear funny then I would cut the ends off and use a bar I guess. If I had a bar I would use it but I don't
Posted By: Leigh

Re: question about welding on rearend - 11/10/13 03:55 PM

I know you want to do it yourself. But, maybe call Fat Joe, and see what he would charge. He's in Brainerd.
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: question about welding on rearend - 11/10/13 06:55 PM

Check to see if the housing is warped before you put the brackets on then check it again after.

Put a mark on each tire then measure between the marks, turn the tires 180* and measure again. You will be able to tell if you warped it or not.
© 2024 Moparts Forums