Moparts

What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ?

Posted By: DodgeCharger

What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 03:12 PM

Still trying to get my car to work on drag radials.
I dead hooked for the first time once yesterday for a couple feet then it unloaded and felt like wheel hop until it hooked back up and pulled the front end again. It was violent. This never happened before and I don't want it to happen again.
A fellow racer came over and pushed down on the rear of my car it springs back quicker than it goes down. He said that for drag radials to work the rear needs to come up slow when you push it down.
So now I'm looking for rear shocks to control this. I want something good but I don't want to spend a thousand dollars if its not necessary.
One of the older fellaws on here nailed it a few weeks ago in a post where he said the Rancho 9000 shocks don't work with drag radials.
What shocks are you guys using or what do you recomend?
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 03:28 PM

if you have lots of money, santuffs, penshe. konis are still very good shocks. lots of fast cars with the afco and QA1 also. I use on one car the penskes, and the mid 8 second car uses the konis.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 03:46 PM

I don't have deep pockets like you but I would go $600 or so for a set of good shocks
Posted By: a493demon

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 04:19 PM

afco's work good on my car.
I am not running radials.
but they work good.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 05:10 PM

Quote:

I don't have deep pockets like you but I would go $600 or so for a set of good shocks

in that price range I guess strange or afco would be your best bet. have you actually checked the price on santhuffs?

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 05:25 PM

Which are the most user friendly as far as adjustments? I prefer just two knobs and not having to remove the shock to adjust.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 05:33 PM

I have the strange but I am sure afco are similar. should be about the same to adjust.
Posted By: MrSixpack

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 06:29 PM

Afco
Posted By: rebel

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 06:36 PM

Strange
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 06:38 PM

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-P...483367/10002/-1

dont know who makes them for jegs...but just put a set on a 71 Duster with ladder bars...
Posted By: sshemi

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 08:24 PM

Looks like QA1
Posted By: moparniac

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/03/13 08:31 PM

Best double adjustable most I bet would say santhufs but are about twice as expensive. I have afco DAs on my radials. OP said $600 budget get on the YB I paid less than $600 that for mine.
Posted By: BJS racing

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 02:32 PM

IMO Afco is probably about the best shock for the money. If you have any kind of question about your shocks or want the actual shock dyno sheet for them you can call and they will be more than happy to send them to you. If you do your homework or talk with someone they can actually build you a set with different valving in them. I am going to be using them when I get that far along with the build I am getting ready to start. I have a great relationship with those guys just because of the way they treat their customers and how they keep looking for ways to improve what they have. Strange really doesn't seem to want to move forward. They are good with what they have.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 03:16 PM

I have afco da on mine. Just went 1.35 60ft on 275/60/15 radials on motor. The afcos out of the box didn't work for me. I sent them to Mark Menser motorsports and he revalved them for me. He is a dealer for strange, afco, Penske, koni and a few more brands. Call him and he will set up a custom shock for your car. Mark (910)624-1119
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 03:58 PM

Dont know how much HP you have ? But for 600 beans you cant go wrong with the Afco's. If you have a high HP car I would save my money and buy Penski or Santuff's. There is a reason they cost more
Posted By: mokid

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 07:07 PM

KONI

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 07:53 PM

Where are the knobs located to adjust the AFCO shocks? From the pictures it looks like one is at the top of the shock? In my car that would be a pain to adjust.
I'm looking for a shock that is easy to adjust two knobs at the bottom of the shock.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 08:02 PM

You want Strange !
I have strange and santuff, I don't think you need the higher priced units at your ET
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 08:20 PM

Quote:

I'm looking for a shock that is easy to adjust two knobs at the bottom of the shock.

This is not going to happen on a "quality" double adjustable shock. To make a car with power work on radials, requires a GOOD shock, both front and rear. The best shock in the world on the back won't matter if the front of the car doesn't work.

Most Strange, QA-1 and other shocks in that price range, will NOT have radial friendly valving and neither will "off the shelf" Afcos, Konis or Penskes

Monte

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 08:24 PM

Quote:

You want Strange !
I have strange and santuff, I don't think you need the higher priced units at your ET

The problem is the drag radials. They are bouncing up off the track and unloading. The car should run 9.70's if I can get it sorted out. With slicks I'm sure I would be there. On Saturday I loaded the fuel tank with fuel for ballast to stop the rear from unloading but in a car that already weighs 3900 lbs I don't want to carry an extra 80 lbs of unnecessary fuel.
I would rather spend a little extra up front for a shock that will work than go cheap and end up having to upgrade later.
Posted By: BJS racing

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 08:32 PM

Quote:

The best shock in the world on the back won't matter if the front of the car doesn't work.

Monte

And there has never been a word more true spoken! Monte is exactly right!
Posted By: dizuster

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Most Strange, QA-1 and other shocks in that price range, will NOT have radial friendly valving and neither will "off the shelf" Afcos, Konis or Penskes

Monte

Will/can any of these companies re-valve for a radial with a new shock purchase?

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The best shock in the world on the back won't matter if the front of the car doesn't work.

Monte

Can you explain what you mean by the front of the car working? I have 5 inches of travel and the front is loose. I have 90/10 Caltrac shocks which replaced QA1 single adjustables. The Caltracs work better but now my problem appears to be in the rear unloading.The Rancho 9000 shocks have almost no compression damping only resistance on separation.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Will/can any of these companies re-valve for a radial with a new shock purchase?

See post by me above where it talks about that! Here I reposted it for you below

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 09:17 PM

Quote:

I have afco da on mine. Just went 1.35 60ft on 275/60/15 radials on motor. The afcos out of the box didn't work for me. I sent them to Mark Menser motorsports and he revalved them for me. He is a dealer for strange, afco, Penske, koni and a few more brands. Call him and he will set up a custom shock for your car. Mark (910)624-1119

Posted By: dirty magnum

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 09:19 PM

Quote:

strange for that kind of money
Posted By: dizuster

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 09:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I actually just got off the phone with AFCO. They would re-valve them brand new for little/no cost, but assured me at my power level that the eliminator valving would work ok. They said if it were a nitrous car instead of turbo, they would put the "Big Gun" valving in it, but that they thought I'd be ok as is.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is not going to happen on a "quality" double adjustable shock. To make a car with power work on radials, requires a GOOD shock, both front and rear. The best shock in the world on the back won't matter if the front of the car doesn't work.

Monte

I think he tunes cars for a living that go way faster then what we have. I would have to agree with him on radials and shocks.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I actually just got off the phone with AFCO. They would re-valve them brand new for little/no cost, but assured me at my power level that the eliminator valving would work ok. They said if it were a nitrous car instead of turbo, they would put the "Big Gun" valving in it, but that they thought I'd be ok as is.

Had the big gun valving in mine. Didn't work. I am a nitrous car though.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/04/13 11:40 PM

I tried calling Mark today but got the answering machine.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 12:57 AM

He will call back, he can custom valve a set of strange shocks which I think would be cheaper then afcos . I have a bud that has gone. 4.60s in the eighth on the strange shocks done by mark.
Posted By: Dyno1

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 05:34 AM

Quote:

dont know who makes them for jegs...but just put a set on a 71 Duster with ladder bars...

they look like QA1's

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 05:41 AM

call Randy at Fastshocks, he is a dealer for Afco, JRI and Penske. He can order the shocks with the correct valving and rebuild. 612-306-5387 This is a good time of year to inspect your shocks for leaking or for a revalve and fluid change.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 06:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Can you explain what you mean by the front of the car working? I have 5 inches of travel and the front is loose. I have 90/10 Caltrac shocks which replaced QA1 single adjustables. The Caltracs work better but now my problem appears to be in the rear unloading.The Rancho 9000 shocks have almost no compression damping only resistance on separation.

This post could be a big part of your issue. Drag radials MUST dead hook to work. You can't black track them and get wheel speed up like you do a slick. A radial is hooked or not, end of story. So if you have a lot of front travel as well as it being loose, there is a possibility the car is just pounding the tire early, because the front has too much pitch rotation, too fast. Once the car tops out the suspension(which I am sure it does quickly) the car is DONE transferring any weight at that point and it simply unloads the rear suspension and spins the tire. No way a 9 sec car needs a 90/10 shock to transfer the weight

Those Rancho shocks are just a truck shock modified to go on these cars. They are in no way shape or form a properly valved "race" shock in my opinion. You MUST and I repeat MUST be able to control the rate and distance of front end rise, along with controlling the housing. Sloppy loose and pounding the tire early is NEVER going to work on a drag radial

Monte
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 11:45 AM

The front end also needs a progressive stop for travel limit.
The factory travel limiters are designed this way. Using any form of travel limiter that stops the travel suddenly will transfer that sudden move to the back of the car, unloading it like Monte said.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

This post could be a big part of your issue. Drag radials MUST dead hook to work. You can't black track them and get wheel speed up like you do a slick. A radial is hooked or not, end of story. So if you have a lot of front travel as well as it being loose, there is a possibility the car is just pounding the tire early, because the front has too much pitch rotation, too fast. Once the car tops out the suspension(which I am sure it does quickly) the car is DONE transferring any weight at that point and it simply unloads the rear suspension and spins the tire. No way a 9 sec car needs a 90/10 shock to transfer the weight

Those Rancho shocks are just a truck shock modified to go on these cars. They are in no way shape or form a properly valved "race" shock in my opinion. You MUST and I repeat MUST be able to control the rate and distance of front end rise, along with controlling the housing. Sloppy loose and pounding the tire early is NEVER going to work on a drag radial

Monte

Everything I am trying was recommended to me by people that have their set ups working. Caltrac recommends minimum of 5 inch travel. Front end as loose as possible no binding.
I have no way of adjusting the rebound on my current rear shocks but from every indication the car hooks then is turning the tire slightly through my 60ft.
Monty did you see the video I posted last week off my launch? Maybe you can tell from that what is going on?
Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQGNFsRvNo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUsk47AoA-3A5hfOX5rFIUXw

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

The factory travel limiters are designed this way. Using any form of travel limiter that stops the travel suddenly will transfer that sudden move to the back of the car, unloading it like Monte said.

What are you using for a progressive stop?
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

I agree 100%! I was used to "slicks" set up and had the front of my truck as loose as could be. I had a chassis guy look my truck over, scale it, adjust the rear shocks (dbl Adj AFCO) and he told me my front end was too loose so he tightend it quite a bit. Hooks pretty well now!

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 07:55 PM

Not sure why you think it is turning the tires for 60ft. Highly unlikely on drag radials. Like I said earlier, they are hooked or not and generally they slip at all, they spin hard.

Watching the video, the car looks way too loose in the front to me. It stretches the front end completely out real early and then sets the front end right back down, which will unload the rear

Monte

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 08:06 PM

Quote:

Not sure why you think it is turning the tires for 60ft. Highly unlikely on drag radials. Like I said earlier, they are hooked or not and generally they slip at all, they spin hard.

Watching the video, the car looks way too loose in the front to me. It stretches the front end completely out real early and then sets the front end right back down, which will unload the rear

Monte

My 60ft times are way off and I have a racepak system. It shows the drive shaft rpm. The car is hooking at the hit of the throttle but then is spinning more than it should.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 08:10 PM

I'll put my adjustable front shocks back on and slow down the transfer.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 10:51 PM

Looking back at this post you initially said "...He said that for drag radials to work the rear needs to come up slow when you push it down."

That is 100% correct for drag radials. I got my AFCO's and had the valving reworked for drag radials. I believe I paid almost $700 shipped getting them from Mark Menscer. They work like a champ! I went 1.42 a few Fridays ago and believe I have some mid 1.3's with a little more boost and a boost controller.

1967DartGT said: " I sent them to Mark Menser motorsports and he revalved them for me. He is a dealer for strange, afco, Penske, koni and a few more brands. Call him and he will set up a custom shock for your car. Mark (910)624-1119 "

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

My 60ft times are way off and I have a racepak system. It shows the drive shaft rpm. The car is hooking at the hit of the throttle but then is spinning more than it should.

Put up a screen shot of a graph where you think it is spinning

Monte
Posted By: BradH

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/05/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

... radial friendly valving...

Monte - I've done a lot of motorcycle damper tuning over the years (changing high & low speed compression & rebound valve stacks on motocross bikes) and am curious how you would describe how radial-type settings would differ from bias-ply.

Thanks,
Brad

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

Hi Monte,
I don't know how to post a racepak file.
But I can describe what it looks like. I was told it was spinning when the drive shaft rpm flat lines the goes up then flat lines again. It almost looks like stair steps.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 12:43 AM

Quote:

Looking back at this post you initially said "...He said that for drag radials to work the rear needs to come up slow when you push it down."

That is 100% correct for drag radials. I got my AFCO's and had the valving reworked for drag radials. I believe I paid almost $700 shipped getting them from Mark Menscer. They work like a champ! I went 1.42 a few Fridays ago and believe I have some mid 1.3's with a little more boost and a boost controller.

1967DartGT said: " I sent them to Mark Menser motorsports and he revalved them for me. He is a dealer for strange, afco, Penske, koni and a few more brands. Call him and he will set up a custom shock for your car. Mark (910)624-1119 "

I did call him. He said $850. Originally he said I could use stock Strange shocks based on my ET. When I told him the weight and horsepower of my car he said they won't work I need a custom valve AFCO.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

Hi Monte,
But I can describe what it looks like. I was told it was spinning when the drive shaft rpm flat lines the goes up then flat lines again. It almost looks like stair steps.

Here..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

Chris..
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

they look like QA1's

Was at QA1 display at sema show..and yes..those are the same shocks.
Posted By: mshred

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 02:53 AM

Just thought I would throw this out there...There is a company called Viking..Apparently the guy running it used to work for QA-1, and the shocks resemble them somewhat. There are a couple of threads over on the bullet talking about them, and so far there are some pretty good reviews. Best part is they are cheaper than QA-1's or Afco's and Strange.

Just an option for those looking...I did look in their online catalog and they do have mopar applications. A friend of mine who is looking to upgrade his shocks in the rear of his fox body mentioned the name to me, so I did a little digging and this is what I have come up with.

Just another option out there
Posted By: fishy340

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I did call him. He said $850. Originally he said I could use stock Strange shocks based on my ET. When I told him the weight and horsepower of my car he said they won't work I need a custom valve AFCO.

Worth every penny

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

Hi Monte,

May be tire spin, may not be. The g-meter will tell you a lot. You don't have to post a file. You could just take a picture of the graph on your computer screen and post it here

Monte

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 03:16 AM

FYI Vi-King Shocks are owned and run by Chris & Christy King, former CEO of QA1. QA1 and Vi-King are located about 1/2 mile apart in Lakeville,MN. Nice people run both companies.

Quote:

Just thought I would throw this out there...There is a company called Viking..Apparently the guy running it used to work for QA-1, and the shocks resemble them somewhat. There are a couple of threads over on the bullet talking about them, and so far there are some pretty good reviews. Best part is they are cheaper than QA-1's or Afco's and Strange.

Just an option for those looking...I did look in their online catalog and they do have mopar applications. A friend of mine who is looking to upgrade his shocks in the rear of his fox body mentioned the name to me, so I did a little digging and this is what I have come up with.

Just another option out there

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 01:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

Hi Monte,

May be tire spin, may not be. The g-meter will tell you a lot. You don't have to post a file. You could just take a picture of the graph on your computer screen and post it here

Monte

Here is a Race pak screen shot

Attached picture 7913972-MGSnip.JPG

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 01:33 PM

Hopefully you can see it I don't know how to make it larger.
Posted By: Sweigart1022

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 02:33 PM

Give me a call (610-375-6180 ask for Shane) I work at Penske Racing Shocks. Nothing we build comes off "the shelf". Everything is custom built for your application. Our double adjustable shock goes for $550 per shock. Once you have the shocks its not like we are done with you. You can call in at anytime and we can also look at your racepak data to help you tune the car. I as well am a drag race so I know the importance of shocks and can help relate.

Attached picture 7914012-7950_368426719946791_1567758681_n.jpg

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 02:43 PM

What do you 60ft and what is your ET and MPH, weight of car, converter, trans, transbrake, etc?

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

What do you 60ft and what is your ET and MPH, weight of car, converter, trans, transbrake, etc?

1.45 60ft 10.05 et 137 mph 3950 lbs 5200 stall foot brake 4.10 gear 325x50x15 ET Street Radial 28 inches tall.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 03:33 PM

Quote:

Give me a call (610-375-6180 ask for Shane) I work at Penske Racing Shocks. Nothing we build comes off "the shelf". Everything is custom built for your application. Our double adjustable shock goes for $550 per shock. Once you have the shocks its not like we are done with you. You can call in at anytime and we can also look at your racepak data to help you tune the car. I as well am a drag race so I know the importance of shocks and can help relate.

Thanks for the offer but $550 each is a little higher than I was looking to go if I can get it working for less.
Where are you located? Do you have experience with setting up shocks for drag radial cars?
I just noticed your car in your signature. I've seen you run at the track.
Posted By: onig

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 04:05 PM

I just watched the video of the car launching.
Is it normal for radial tires to wrinkle on the launch or is he running too low a pressure?

Onig
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 04:14 PM

The best shock is the best you can afford.Prices are all over the place.Talk with some of the suspension guys with experience and get recommendations for your particular application and budget.
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 04:19 PM

On your Racepak graph why does the engine rpm spike up before the car launches?

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 04:20 PM

I live in Robesonia. I race the points series at Maple Grove. I have some experience from working on my car and from a few of the guys I race against. I think I missed it somewhere in the thread but what rear suspension are you running? I understand are shocks are more expensive than most of the other brands. I would be more than happy to help you with whatever shocks you get. If your at Maple Grove on a day you see me there I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

Attached picture 7914111-latburnout.jpg

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 04:34 PM

Caltracs with mono leafs

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 04:44 PM

Trust me from experience with my own caltracs. The rear mono-leaf cal-tracs are opposite of the way a 4 link works. To hit the tire harder you want less rebound. A cal trac car to plant the tire is going into rebound first and the compression is holding the tire to the track. The travel in the front of the car is important as well. I struggled with not enough travel before. Now I pull both wheels off the ground going 1.39 60'.

Attached picture 7914128-latburnout.jpg

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 05:30 PM

My CalTrac & mono-leaf-equipped 440 Challenger was extremely sensitive to both tire pressure and front suspension travel & freedom of movement, in addition to getting the basic rear suspension preload and shock damping settings dialed in.

I had to lower my front ride height and cut down my control arm stops to get 5"+ travel from the static ride height. My QA1 R-Series shocks have extremely light rebound damping (as adjusted to the lightest of 12 settings) and a fixed firm compression damping curve.

The ET Street Radials were sensitive to 1/2 psi too little pressure allowing them to fold up, then unload: 17.0 too light, 17.5 just right. I'm also going to switch from 8" to 10" rims to help spread out the footprint of the 275/60R15s that I run.

Before getting these two things corrected, the car would first hook, then unload the rear tires a few feet out. Drove me freakin' nuts.

After correcting those, the car hooked consistently on a decent track (not "garbage prep").

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... radial friendly valving...

Monte - I've done a lot of motorcycle damper tuning over the years (changing high & low speed compression & rebound valve stacks on motocross bikes) and am curious how you would describe how radial-type settings would differ from bias-ply.

Thanks,
Brad

Anyone willing to clue me into how radial-type damping generally differs from what would be suitable for bias-ply tires?

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 05:36 PM

Quote:

Hopefully you can see it I don't know how to make it larger.

While it is small.........what I do see is nearly a picture perfect graph. There is ZERO tire spin in that graph. If it ever and I repeat EVER spins the tire, there will be a dip in the g-meter, because the car stops accelerating momentarily. That g-meter curve is smooth as glass and doesn't have a bobble in it

Monte
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 05:44 PM

If you "right click" on the graph & hit "view image" it should blow up on the screen. Does for me at least.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 06:14 PM

If I click on attachment it opens up full screen.

I'm not saying it is smoking the tires it is just turning them more than it should until it gets up to speed.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 06:35 PM

Quote:

If I click on attachment it opens up full screen.

I'm not saying it is smoking the tires it is just turning them more than it should until it gets up to speed.

Not sure what you think you see in that graph, but it is NOT spinning the tires. I have studied a RacePak graph or two.........LOL!!!

Now while you may think you see some little "stairsteps" in the shaft rpm, that is just the sample rate on the logger. This car has fairly low wheelspeed early and a two magnet shaft collar. With the sample rate high, it shows up as small steps........but.......the g-meter does NOT lie. This graph does NOT show any tire spin

Monte

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 07:34 PM

When a car leaves the line the tires always spin a little faster than the car is moving. I've seen slow motion video. I am just looking to minimize this.
On Sunday. My first pass was average for what I've run recently. So I lowered the rear shock setting and left out a pound of air. The car hooked like I never felt it hook before for a couple feet until it unloaded.Then it made some violent attempts to hook up.
When I went back to the pits I put the shocks back to where they were and the tire pressure. I didn't want to risk this violent wheel spin again so I added 10 gallons of fuel. The car ran a .02 better 60ft than usual. It was my Best 60ft ever 1.44.
The ET also improved by .06 and the mile per hour stayed the same.
Adding 60lbs of fuel should have slowed me down unless like I expected it actually made the car hook better. The adjusted altitude was about 250 higher than my first run in the morning but the car went .06 faster carrying 60 lbs more weight.
I'm going to try double adjustable shocks and see what happends. Then I am going to make the biggest change that I know the car needs a lower rear gear.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1.45 60ft 10.05 et 137 mph 3950 lbs 5200 stall foot brake 4.10 gear 325x50x15 ET Street Radial 28 inches tall.

Is that from a pass where it hooks up? Because I'm baffled by how you can pull the same 1.45 60-ft, end up with 11 MPH more than I do (137 vs 126), yet only cut the ET by .5 (10.0 vs 10.5).

What are your 1/8 mile times & MPH? Mine are in the 6.6s @ 101-102 when the 1/4 mile hits 10.5s @ 126(+/-).

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 08:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is that from a pass where it hooks up? Because I'm baffled by how you can pull the same 1.45 60-ft, end up with 11 MPH more than I do (137 vs 126), yet only cut the ET by .5 (10.0 vs 10.5).

What are your 1/8 mile times & MPH? Mine are in the 6.6s @ 101-102 when the 1/4 mile hits 10.5s @ 126(+/-).

Yes that is a run that is hooked up or so they say. 1/8th mile in that pass was a 6.45 @ 109 mph.

Did you see the video in this link I posted?
1.45 60ft 1/8th 6.40 @ 109.56 mph
Some of the reason for the bad 60ft is a tight converter and 4.10 gears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQGNFsRvNo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUsk47AoA-3A5hfOX5rFIUXw
Posted By: Joe Grippo

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Allen, what is your launch RPM?

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 09:11 PM

Quote:

When a car leaves the line the tires always spin a little faster than the car is moving. I've seen slow motion video. I am just looking to minimize this.

No sir, NOT true on a car with a drag radial. Like I have already said, a drag radial is hooked or its not, there is no in between. Slick cars always tend to blacktrack a little to make wheelspeed. You DON"T want to dead hook a slick. It needs to spin a little. A drag radial is a whole nother animal.

Now I am not sure if the above observation is of your car on radials, or just other cars in general.......but I can tell you, that between the video you posted of your car and the graph you posted above, the car was DEAD HOOKED on those two passes. Now what it did on others I have no idea, but in these two instances, you had ZERO tire spin.

It seems you may be trying to somewhat fix a problem you don't have. If the car knocks the tire off, obviously it spun........but if you just think it is turning the tires a little because your 60ft is not where you think it should be, you are mistaken.

I tune LOTS of drag radial cars, both extremely fast and not so much and have watched hundreds of passes and seen hundreds of graphs. One thing I can tell you, is that tuning a radial car and a slick car, takes two different mindsets. And the data and results you see will be different

Monte

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 09:14 PM

I tried different launch RPM's but it does better the higher I hold it on the brake. Unfortunately I can only hold it at about 3000 rpm. Anything more and it pushes through the brakes.
The converter should flash to 6000 for this motor but it usually flashes to 5200 rpm.

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No sir, NOT true on a car with a drag radial. Like I have already said, a drag radial is hooked or its not, there is no in between. Slick cars always tend to blacktrack a little to make wheelspeed. You DON"T want to dead hook a slick. It needs to spin a little. A drag radial is a whole nother animal.

Now I am not sure if the above observation is of your car on radials, or just other cars in general.......but I can tell you, that between the video you posted of your car and the graph you posted above, the car was DEAD HOOKED on those two passes. Now what it did on others I have no idea, but in these two instances, you had ZERO tire spin.

It seems you may be trying to somewhat fix a problem you don't have. If the car knocks the tire off, obviously it spun........but if you just think it is turning the tires a little because your 60ft is not where you think it should be, you are mistaken.

I tune LOTS of drag radial cars, both extremely fast and not so much and have watched hundreds of passes and seen hundreds of graphs. One thing I can tell you, is that tuning a radial car and a slick car, takes two different mindsets. And the data and results you see will be different

Monte

Can you explain why the car would pick up ET by adding weight if it is not spinning?

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Can you explain why the car would pick up ET by adding weight if it is not spinning?

Your shift points were higher or lower, the launch rpm was higher or lower. Your conv flashed a little higher with the added weight. There are lots of variables. Your car is not spinning off the line.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: What are the best double adjustable rear shocks ? - 11/06/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What are you using for a progressive stop?

I have a thick plastic coated steel cable looped around the chassis tube. An Eye bolt hooked to that goes through the upper A arm and uses old bayonet rubber shock bushings and retainers. Between the stiffness of the cable and the give in the rubber, it works for me. The more travel you have, the softer the stop will need to be, IMHO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums