Moparts

xr1 block nightmare

Posted By: WHITEDART

xr1 block nightmare - 11/01/13 11:57 PM

these have been sold for more than 3 years. and i have not herd of any times slips or dyno numbers does one run yet. wonder how many were sold
Posted By: Dave W

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/02/13 12:04 AM

I bought an XR2 and no where close to being done yet.
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/02/13 12:11 AM

if you don't get yours going, maybe we never will!
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/02/13 02:04 AM

What stockpile of parts do you have for your build Dave. You've gone through so many parts for sale over the past years that I've lost track of your present project.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/02/13 03:34 AM

Quote:

What stockpile of parts do you have for your build Dave. You've gone through so many parts for sale over the past years that I've lost track of your present project.

lol... I've bought and sold so many parts over the last few years that it's nuts! After my last go around with trying to sell my R5P7 engine, I've decided to put it into my 68' Valiant. As far as the XR2 build goes, I would love to complete it. I need to finish my lowered/patina Lil Red Express first. If not, my wife will kill me! LMAO

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/02/13 03:39 AM

Check this Cuda out, very cool....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGheRc61wvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Jq0hsdJJo
Posted By: Leon441

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/02/13 08:20 AM

I bought a r5p7 358 and ran it for most of the summer. Previous owner had trouble due to some wrong rocker arms. I had a mishap in the shop that ended up bad.

Found a deal on a 440 EEI R5P7 and never looked back.

Leon

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/02/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

I bought a r5p7 358 and ran it for most of the summer. Previous owner had trouble due to some wrong rocker arms. I had a mishap in the shop that ended up bad.

Found a deal on a 440 EEI R5P7 and never looked back.

Leon

I've been following your thread and it motivated me to keep my R5.
Posted By: scottb

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 02:12 AM

That block sounds like the whole project should be scraped and who ever bought one should ask for a complete refund what a piece of junk and that's saying it nicely
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 07:13 AM

what a shame I seriously thought about one
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 02:36 PM

What a shame that someone brings this dead horse to the top ...once again.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 03:00 PM

Quote:

What a shame that someone brings this dead horse to the top ...once again.

I guess it's a dead horse because they haven't corrected the issue and helped out the people who bought them?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 03:08 PM

The whole idea was a great one IMO. Just too bad the problems are going to kill it. I have no idea what a company like Indy does to prevent these things. Maybe they build the first few and fix the mistakes before so many know about it. And they still have issues. When you start something like this you need to have one up and running to prove your product. That step did not make it through.

The other side of this is you are not seeing as many P7 parts for sale on Ebay. Ritter has barns full of the stuff. And the prices are now higher. He has a major corner on the market.

Leon
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 04:59 PM

When you start something like this you need to have one up and running to prove your product. That step did not make it through.

This is why I wonder why guys were buying and getting so involved $$$ wise. Best of luck to the victims.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 06:07 PM

Wonder what ever happened to the build that was supposed to take place this fall? Haven't seen any post. If anyone one remember's, i had 1 of these blocks that didn't quite work out. I really would like to see this block work out.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 06:11 PM

Quote:

Wonder what ever happened to the build that was supposed to take place this fall? Haven't seen any post. If anyone one remember's, i had 1 of these blocks that didn't quite work out. I really would like to see this block work out.

what happened to yours?

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 06:17 PM

Returned it & got a refund.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 06:51 PM

good for you, at least they stepped up and done that.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 09:00 PM

I heard most of the stuff Ritter has for sale was early P7 stuff I could be wrong and last time I ckd EEI still had like 75 complete motors for sale and Arringtons sold all there stuff to someone down south if you keep looking there are deals out there on those R5P7 motors

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/03/13 09:27 PM

We came dangerously close to purchasing one of the Ritter blocks, but were swayed/begged not to. It was really hard ordering a Mopar block after our Stage VI and then W5 cylinder head heartaches. Two more good ideas that were executed poorly. Luckily our R3 block has tested great and the build is moving forward. I hope that someday the XR deal moves forward. The small block community could use it.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/04/13 06:32 AM

This is a shame....

We bought alot of very nice W8 stuff from Kent Ritter, he was very fair with us and it made nice power for a 15* truck deal.

I have a set of raw W8 Zeus castings that we are considering for a serious N/A build and I would have loved to use one of these blocks.

Hopefully, this will be sorted out eventually since the MOPAR world could sure use good iron blocks, both for small and big blocks/HEMIs.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/05/13 12:42 AM

Quote:

looks like this is a major red flag not even kent ritter him self the small block [[[GOD]]] with all his resource's can get one running. i found more problem yesterday I fill like giving up...if I run a cross a R BLOCK that will fit my build I will make the change .....just a shame after spending 7000 dallors on this block it is still pucking junk
Posted By: LA360

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 09:42 AM

It is a shame, most of the complaints I have seen have come down to the machining. If they're not doing the job right, go somewhere else. Paying a little more for the blocks to be machined correctly is much better than pallets of blocks you can't sell or scrap. Machining castings isn't a cake walk, but there are plenty of people who can do it properly.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 04:06 PM

We thought it was casting issues as well as machining issues.We were told that that fall build would happen but it would be a "special" build that would be for dirt or some other type of racing.
I would like the build to be a bracket engine so that those of us that are interested can see the benifits.The guy building this engine has a class car that he can test this engine in drag racing where our interest and the largest market is rather than limit it to a lower volume type of race with a limited market.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 04:29 PM

Bob, I fully intend on doing a drag type engine but right now head choice is the issue at large. I'd like to do a medium inch W2 that could be plugged into the Duster, with a trans change, for some of the bracket races when there is are no class events going on. We know the Duster is a very efficient chassis and we have a spare trans that is not as costly to operate as the class trans. This would put one of the blocks actually out there for many to see rather than taking our word on some dyno session. We all know how doubtful Moparts members seem to be.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 05:04 PM

whats the hold up?

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 05:19 PM

Simply put. Time. I have none at the moment.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 05:26 PM

Quote:

Bob, I fully intend on doing a drag type engine but right now head choice is the issue at large. I'd like to do a medium inch W2 that could be plugged into the Duster, with a trans change, for some of the bracket races when there is are no class events going on. We know the Duster is a very efficient chassis and we have a spare trans that is not as costly to operate as the class trans. This would put one of the blocks actually out there for many to see rather than taking our word on some dyno session. We all know how doubtful Moparts members seem to be.

Holgar,that's what I want to hear We would be willing to help you with this project if your too busy.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 05:49 PM

Bob, Be reminded that this engine will not have spark plug wires in the valve covers. Still want to help?

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 05:52 PM

Obviously, it is no small task to assemble and finance a highend drag style build, but I wouldn't consider using the most important piece in the equation (the block), that hasn't been proven in that environment.

If the foundation of a project that could top $40,000 dollars is compromised for whatever reason, only a fool would roll the dice and until I see a block become available that can support a 1000+hp smallblock at 10,000rpm, forget it......

I understand there are more people building low HP/RPM engines, but a number of features of this block are directed at serious efforts. W2s in all their incarnations, W5s, Indys, Edelbrocks, etc., are generally used in low powered pieces that could easily survive with stock blocks, replacement blocks, or R3s.

Any block should be able to survive the typical 5-700hp, in the 7000rpm "bracket" range, unless it's JUNK. What this community needs is a foundation that is up to the task of 800 to 1000+hp at 8000rpm and up, that is ABLE TO BE PURCHASED WITHOUT AN EXTENDED WAIT PERIOD!!!! And not just smallblocks, but also big and Hemi blocks.

R3s have been built in that fashion, including the one in my garage, but an improved and updated deal, that is available at the drop of a dime and reasonably affordable would be a welcome addition. It's bad enough that we can't pick up the phone and order a NEW W8, or a block to make a large cubic inch P5 and if it weren't for CHEVY RACERS(!!!)who need them for THEIR heads, new 420 intakes would still be on the endangered list.

Every 15 minutes, Ford and GM racers benefit from a new cylinder head and a new block in any number of materials, in multiple deck heights, bore spacings, cam size/location, pan rail configuration and any number of other options.

Understandably, this is not economically possible in the MOPAR world, but take a look at what's going on with Pontiac racers. They now have access to a couple KILLER blocks and heads, that in many cases, are superior to whats readily available to MOPAR folks. I don't see legions of Pontiac racers in staging lanes and parking lots around the country, yet they are benefitting from quality pieces for advanced builds.

THIS....is an embarrassment!!! How we cannot get a single manufacturer to offer a single highend block, with a variety of options and a "pro-port" (raw) version of a single, modern cylinder head design (except the P5).......is ridiculous.

I give alot of credit to people like Koleno and Ritter for trying to fill the void to some extent, but the issues that arise just about every time something is released on the block & head front......has reached LAUGHABLE proportions.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 09:20 PM

Quote:

Bob, Be reminded that this engine will not have spark plug wires in the valve covers. Still want to help?

I would love to help. We have many engines without sparkplug wires in the valve covers.You build the bottom half and maybe I'll do the top half with Indy heads.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

Obviously, it is no small task to assemble and finance a highend drag style build, but I wouldn't consider using the most important piece in the equation (the block), that hasn't been proven in that environment.

If the foundation of a project that could top $40,000 dollars is compromised for whatever reason, only a fool would roll the dice and until I see a block become available that can support a 1000+hp smallblock at 10,000rpm, forget it......

I understand there are more people building low HP/RPM engines, but a number of features of this block are directed at serious efforts. W2s in all their incarnations, W5s, Indys, Edelbrocks, etc., are generally used in low powered pieces that could easily survive with stock blocks, replacement blocks, or R3s.

Any block should be able to survive the typical 5-700hp, in the 7000rpm "bracket" range, unless it's JUNK. What this community needs is a foundation that is up to the task of 800 to 1000+hp at 8000rpm and up, that is ABLE TO BE PURCHASED WITHOUT AN EXTENDED WAIT PERIOD!!!! And not just smallblocks, but also big and Hemi blocks.

R3s have been built in that fashion, including the one in my garage, but an improved and updated deal, that is available at the drop of a dime and reasonably affordable would be a welcome addition. It's bad enough that we can't pick up the phone and order a NEW W8, or a block to make a large cubic inch P5 and if it weren't for CHEVY RACERS(!!!)who need them for THEIR heads, new 420 intakes would still be on the endangered list.

Every 15 minutes, Ford and GM racers benefit from a new cylinder head and a new block in any number of materials, in multiple deck heights, bore spacings, cam size/location, pan rail configuration and any number of other options.

Understandably, this is not economically possible in the MOPAR world, but take a look at what's going on with Pontiac racers. They now have access to a couple KILLER blocks and heads, that in many cases, are superior to whats readily available to MOPAR folks. I don't see legions of Pontiac racers in staging lanes and parking lots around the country, yet they are benefitting from quality pieces for advanced builds.

THIS....is an embarrassment!!! How we cannot get a single manufacturer to offer a single highend block, with a variety of options and a "pro-port" (raw) version of a single, modern cylinder head design (except the P5).......is ridiculous.

I give alot of credit to people like Koleno and Ritter for trying to fill the void to some extent, but the issues that arise just about every time something is released on the block & head front......has reached LAUGHABLE proportions.

Good post.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/06/13 11:41 PM

WOW BOB that looks like a great dill for kent and his block .. like I said before im not trying to kill this thing just trying to warn the people....and they might not get any sport from kent.... there are major problem most.. beyond a normal build... some one like you that is respected in the mopar world would be what it takes to get this ironed out... I don't know how the people that spent there hard earned money... became the bad guy
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/07/13 12:02 AM

Are there any issues with the Ritter Racing XR Aluminum small blocks? Does anyone else have one?

I seriously want to buy one next year

thanks

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/07/13 01:05 AM

Another factor I guess is the fact these blocks were designed primarily for the P7 head, the wedge style blocks are basically a compromise.
Jim, I understand where you are coming from, the only way I see it happening is a serious racer who is cashed up and makes it happen for their own program.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/07/13 01:19 AM

Quote:

Another factor I guess is the fact these blocks were designed primarily for the P7 head, the wedge style blocks are basically a compromise.
Jim, I understand where you are coming from, the only way I see it happening is a serious racer who is cashed up and makes it happen for their own program.

Yep.....

I fear until I hit Powerball for 2-3 hundred mill and enter into joint ventures with CN, Dart, Morgan and a few other juiced in types that choose to remain nameless....we are $hyte outta luck.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/07/13 03:04 AM

I am in the same boat Jim, my ambitions are far ahead of my wallet! lol

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/07/13 03:33 AM

Quote:

I am in the same boat Jim, my ambitions are far ahead of my wallet! lol

I shoulda' been a criminal....

I wouldn't be in this predicament.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/07/13 01:20 PM

Quote:

WOW BOB that looks like a great dill for kent and his block .. like I said before im not trying to kill this thing just trying to warn the people....and they might not get any sport from kent.... there are major problem most.. beyond a normal build... some one like you that is respected in the mopar world would be what it takes to get this ironed out... I don't know how the people that spent there hard earned money... became the bad guy

I had early on discussed the issues with rickraw.He wanted to use the block but in the end had no choise but return it.I would never dismiss those who spent hard earned dollars and had issues.I think the issues could have been handled better buy the supplier.
We would like to see a affordable block for the small block racers and would be glad to help develope it into a viable program.Either working with Holgar whom we respect or if Kent wanted to donate a block we would give it our best shot to help.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/08/13 12:25 AM

Ritter has the money to make things right with this block I just don't think he wants to spend the extra money to make it work right put it off on the who ever buys one

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 11/08/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Ritter has the money to make things right with this block I just don't think he wants to spend the extra money to make it work right put it off on the who ever buys one

Sales will be minimal untill buyers feel they are getting a quality and usable product.If he wants to successfully market this block,buyers have to be confident before purchasing a unproven or untested product.We feel that if all issues can be resolved and there is a proven performance and reliability demonstrated than he will have hit a homerun and we can all benifit.I will await a response or more info from Holgar(sixpakbee)since he has an in with Kent.
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 10/10/14 06:52 PM

The Aluminum proto type is almost in complete engine form now. Kent has been good to deal with. This block has fought us every step of the way unfortunetly, but we are determined to make an engine out of it. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We have our top pro engine builder on the case. She was showing me how to degree the cam.

I can post some progress pictures later on. Thanks.

-Kenny

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 10/11/14 01:27 AM

have you checked to see if the oil pump passage lines up with the pump mine did not. what head gasket are you going to run. pressure test both oil and water passage. make sure they dont leak. this is the biggest problems. o are yourlifter boars true and straight.every block that i know of that went to a good machine found out the lifters are in the place. kent is good to work with till you need you money back. hope you get this thing running.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 10/11/14 02:30 AM

Yeah, every problem you have run into, I'm sure we have run into. We are documenting it all along with pictures. I'd personally like to see these blocks come around, and I hope that we can help the final product become a useable product for us Mopar guys. As frustrating as it has been, we just want to see these things succeed at this point. All the other hot rodders in the Brand X stuff have choices. It would be nice for Mopar guys to have choices too.

-Kenny
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 10/11/14 02:36 AM

I know Kent is a very smart guy, and sells lots of parts to folks.
What I don't get is how in any way shape or form he shouldn't get called out for maliciously selling a lousy block and taking people's money for it.... Fully aware it wasn't usable.
Shame on the guy....... Sorry, zero excuse for that in my opinion
Posted By: littleVAL

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 10/11/14 05:54 AM

so what are the problems with the block I had thought of getting one instead of an r3 block in the future. I had hoped that in time they would sort it out.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 10/11/14 06:46 AM

I can tell u all the problems I had with his block. I would type all the problems I found but it would be too much typing. It's a real stout piece, hope it gets straightened out for us mopar guys since r3's are scarce.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 02:27 AM

The Aluminum Ritter block has fired on our dyno. It is not ready to go in a car yet, as there are some things we need to change on the block (oil drain back issues) but we are getting closer. I'll update as we get through it.

-Kenny
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 03:04 AM

In all seriousness, are the issues you've tackled going to be addressed in Kent's blocks or are you kind of the last Mohican in this situation?

What's the power level you're shooting for? I wanna know the threshold of this thing?

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 05:43 AM

What head gasket are you using.I'm looking for ideas thanks.looks like to me the water passages in the deck are for p-7 head which does not work with an LA style head I'm still having a hard time getting the heads sealed upgrade

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 06:50 AM

Quote:

In all seriousness, are the issues you've tackled going to be addressed in Kent's blocks or are you kind of the last Mohican in this situation?

What's the power level you're shooting for? I wanna know the threshold of this thing?

I will stop by the shop this week and se how things look. It is a 468ci. 245CNC Indy headed deal. I think around 12:1 if I recall correctly. Sorry for the grey info, it really has been a while since Dad and I were talking about the details on this unit. It is a solid roller deal with specs around 277/284 @ .050" I think, I REALLY JUST NEED TO SIT DOWN AND MAKE A BUILD THREAD! I might find the time in the Christmas season. That should give you a sorta kinda idea of the power that is being asked from this unit. The block does look like a well built piece, just a lot of stuff that is placed bad, and not thought out very well. Thankfully we have a great machine shop that we work with, and they know how to use their equipment well to correct the problems.

As for head gaskets, I'll get you the for sure details on them. This block may be different than yours WHITEDART. I know of another iron block that is up hear and it's not useable because of a different set of problems.

I am hoping this whole deal can be sorted out to supply us Mopar dude's with a good block with availability. I got a 48 degree 9.600" siamezed R3 block about 6 months ago for a customer. I recently started as a new car salesman at a local Dodge dealer. It's our slow time so I went over to the parts guy and gave him the same part number and it comes up as discontinued. I don't know what the deal is there, I hope Mopar sorts its stuff out and starts making them again.

Thanks

-Kenny
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 08:38 AM

I finished an edelbrock headed 434 using a 59* ritter iron block early this year. Other than lack of counterweight clearance, [was clearanced by ritter for a 30 pound Winberg crank like he would use], only a few other minor issues. Engine was beat on all year with no issues. Not the most powerful engine, but not bad for eddy RPM heads. 3300 pound Dart. Car not that heavy but driver not that light. Ran 6.35 at 109 mph.

Posted By: Leigh

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 12:25 PM

That's faster than my Mopar R1 59* B1BA ancient deal. Mine averages 6.55 @ 106 in average air. Rock solid, just an under achiever.

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 03:52 PM

Quote:

I recently started as a new car salesman at a local Dodge dealer. It's our slow time so I went over to the parts guy and gave him the same part number and it comes up as discontinued. I don't know what the deal is there, I hope Mopar sorts its stuff out and starts making them again.

Thanks

-Kenny

try to order any R3 number and it comes up "NS1" which means they are not making them anymore. you can't even put an order in to show demand, it just spits it back at you. they hit this status last June.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 04:36 PM

Quote:

I finished an edelbrock headed 434 using a 59* ritter iron block early this year. Other than lack of counterweight clearance, [was clearanced by ritter for a 30 pound Winberg crank like he would use], only a few other minor issues. Engine was beat on all year with no issues. Not the most powerful engine, but not bad for eddy RPM heads. 3300 pound Dart. Car not that heavy but driver not that light. Ran 6.35 at 109 mph.

I have been to Accelaquarter one day in my life and I saw your car there, good runner for the combo. Didn't know it was a Ritter block

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 06:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I recently started as a new car salesman at a local Dodge dealer. It's our slow time so I went over to the parts guy and gave him the same part number and it comes up as discontinued. I don't know what the deal is there, I hope Mopar sorts its stuff out and starts making them again.

Thanks

-Kenny

try to order any R3 number and it comes up "NS1" which means they are not making them anymore. you can't even put an order in to show demand, it just spits it back at you. they hit this status last June.

Wow, we just got in there in time. That is a serious bummer though!

-Kenny
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: xr1 block nightmare - 12/16/14 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have been to Accelaquarter one day in my life and I saw your car there, good runner for the combo. Didn't know it was a Ritter block

Actually not my car. A good friends car. Mine is the LeBaron or white Demon depending on the day you were there. The Demon has a 418 C.I. sm block, stock block and cyl. head combo that runs very well for what it is. Also has a flat tappet cam and burns gasoline. Weighs 3050 pounds. Even with 1875 passes, it still ran low 6.2s at 109mph late this year. When engine was new and fresh it went 6.09 at 111 mph. The Lebaron is a 512 C.I. BBM, World block, Indy SR head engine with the same grind flat tappet camshaft, [Racer Brown STX-22], that's in the sm block in the Demon. It has been 5.45 at 126 mph. Weighs 2560 pounds.

© 2024 Moparts Forums