Moparts

New better cometic head gaskets???

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/30/13 10:16 PM

My machine shop says that Cometic is making newer better MLS head gaskets now. He is a Chevy guy. Has anyone seen or heard of them making new ones for Mopars?
Thanks mike
Posted By: Crizila

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/30/13 11:51 PM

Waiting for mine to be delivered. Don't know if they will be the better ones or the worse ones - since I won't know the difference . They did have to make them for my application - I think. On that subject, is everyone putting them in dry or using some type of sealer?
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/30/13 11:57 PM

I use Coppercoat on mine, inside and both outsides.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/31/13 01:06 AM

I installed mine per the instructions - dry and have had no issues.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/31/13 02:39 AM

I don't know how recently these "new ones" came out, but I bought mine a couple months back. I had to special order from Cometic to get the correct gaskets for my World aluminum block. (Hemi)
I was instructed to smear a little Hylomar on the gaskets around the upper water passages and lower center one. Other wise they were dry.
No problems.

Mark
Posted By: mshred

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/31/13 02:43 AM

Does the deck and the head need a special finish for the Cometic's? Or will just the head surface with a special finish suffice?
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/31/13 03:13 AM

Both
Posted By: 3404

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 10/31/13 10:50 PM

I had issues this spring with my cometics leaking water up the bottom three center sets head studs. I noticed each pair of studs were embossed in the same circle as the water jacket, . Each stud should have been embossed separately or the water jacket itself. I called them and since they are so close a rep cam out to where I had it on the Dyno and said that was a mistake on their part and they had to fix the tooling. They sent me a new set this summer but I have not opened them up yet. We took the set off that was leaking and copper coated them and they have been fine since.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 01:58 AM

Quote:

Both

50 RA or smoother

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Both

50 RA or smoother

Damn, so that means the engine would have to come out to have the decks surfaced
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 06:29 AM

mshred,
For those of us throwing stuff together with less than perfect finishes, and used heads on used blocks and such, ThIS IS WHY WE COPPER COAT em! When you take them off 4 years later with no leaks, guess where the copper coat is, yep, in the low ridges where it's supposed to be.
Posted By: RAMM

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 01:55 PM

Quote:

mshred,
For those of us throwing stuff together with less than perfect finishes, and used heads on used blocks and such, ThIS IS WHY WE COPPER COAT em! When you take them off 4 years later with no leaks, guess where the copper coat is, yep, in the low ridges where it's supposed to be.

I would agree with this. Unless you have a factory finish/or had it resurfaced by someone with a Blockmaster or broach with only one carbide touching. J.Rob
Posted By: HPMike

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 03:54 PM

Ive used dozens of these on Mopar and Brand X engines without any issue..I copper coat them (two heavy coats and install wet)..I even used aluminum matallic paint on one set as I had no copper coat and had no issues..(Ive used the paint before on steel shim gaskets)..

Its best to have nice surfaces, but even on the ones that arent dead perfect, they held up good..

YMMV

MB
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 04:01 PM

Ah the old aluminum spray paint trick. You must be old Mike. Lol

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

mshred,

Cool! I thought the copper coat was just used to help seal even when the surfaces DO have the proper finish, I wasn't sure it helped seal properly surfaces not correctly machined for them.

Thanks for the info guys!
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: New better cometic head gaskets??? - 11/01/13 09:20 PM

So are there "new" Cometic MLS gaskets for BB Mopars. I last installed mine 2 years ago but have used them several time before. I am going to install new ones but need to know if a newer version has come out???

Thanks Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums