Moparts

A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for!

Posted By: BJS racing

A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 03:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8oIZ8m0Vdg&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: Crizila

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 03:37 PM

Time for some wheelie bars.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 03:49 PM

Quote:

Time for some wheelie bars.

Going to start with putting some weight up front. We are slowly putting more power to it and this was the first time its really done anything weird. And well guess its saying it needs a little something. We are only running like 6lbs. of boost right now and its still rich.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 04:02 PM

Beautiful ride! Should be awesome when you get it sorted out. Just hope you don't bend it first.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 04:34 PM

it doesn't help to turn the steering wheel with the front tires off the ground I would put some sort of wheelie bars on that thing even with weight added before you wipe out the front end coming down

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

it doesn't help to turn the steering wheel with the front tires off the ground

Really? I was wondering why it wasn't coming back around for me!

Dennis would rather us not put a wheelie bar on it but if it comes down to having to do it we will. I should be able to put some weight on it and I am going to put a manual over ride for the shifter so I can knock it into high gear if it happens again.
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 04:55 PM

Is that due to too much traction from the right wheel? Around 50 sec. it looks like the left tire isn't in the same sort of groove as the right. Could just be camera trickery though.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Is that due to too much traction from the right wheel? Around 50 sec. it looks like the left tire isn't in the same sort of groove as the right. Could just be camera trickery though.

We aren't sure. I even asked the crew if it was in the groove and everyone said it was. The car hasn't done that to me at all except for that pass. Of course the next pass it stood up on me. We have been slowly adding more power. One of the only things we can figure is that the burn out wasn't very good at all on the first pass.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:36 PM

If you watch the slow mo, it leaves, and then gently brings them up as it goes left. It does not do it right from the hit...You will need to adjust the chassis for that. Also, put the bars on it...

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:38 PM

There is absolutely no adjustment that can be made on the chassis. You can adjust the toe on the front and that be all there is.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

There is absolutely no adjustment that can be made on the chassis. You can adjust the toe on the front and that be all there is.

If the left turn thing becomes a pattern, you could try switching tires side to side or adjusting tire pressure. Assume it otherwise goes straight down the track?
Posted By: slippery440

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:50 PM

Not smart enough to give any advice. But that looks like alot of fun to drive. Good luck
Posted By: BobR

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

Have you scaled the car?

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:54 PM

we haven't changed anything on the car. The only thing changed from the beginning of this car to now is we went from 10 psi to 8 psi between these two passes and it has always gone straight. Same tires and same stupid driver!
Posted By: BobR

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 05:56 PM

Check the left axle.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 06:01 PM

Quote:

Check the left axle.

Thought of that. 40 spline floater axle with 10 passes on it. Then it went straight on the next pass. I am sure we will pretty well pull every thing apart this winter and redo a couple of things.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

Well, that is an issue. I have seen a couple of different chassis set-ups, but is there no way to aim the rear, or change the chassis flex with a lengthening or shortening of a mid chassis bar? Somthing caused it to drive left...I like the tires thought...VC breather leak then? A picture of this non-adjustable chassis might help...

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, that is an issue. I have seen a couple of different chassis set-ups, but is there no way to aim the rear, or change the chassis flex with a lengthening or shortening of a mid chassis bar? Somthing caused it to drive left...I like the tires thought...VC breather leak then? A picture of this non-adjustable chassis might help...

I don't have may pics of the car right now. Dennis the founder of Painless owns the car and I am driving it. This is actually a 15-20 year old new chassis that was hanging in a guys shop that he never did anything with. Its a Neil & Parks chassis? I don't remember exactly who but someone like that. It was built as a top fuel fed car back then.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have may pics of the car right now. Dennis the founder of Painless owns the car and I am driving it. This is actually a 15-20 year old new chassis that was hanging in a guys shop that he never did anything with. Its a Neil & Parks chassis? I don't remember exactly who but someone like that. It was built as a top fuel fed car back then.

I can tell you, that much Hp pointed in the wrong direction off the launch is just scary. If you know you didn't get somthing slippery under that tire or had your air pressure way off,look for loose/ bent bolts, bent axle, somthing...It picked the tires up after it launched and steered left. I have tinkered with four links and had a similar situation, we bent all the brackets on it. Use a 6" scale and start looking at it...

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 09:40 PM

it did look like it was aimed a little to the left but was hard to tell form that angle.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 09:45 PM

Quote:

it did look like it was aimed a little to the left but was hard to tell form that angle.

Well the blower was right in front of me so it should have been straight!
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 09:45 PM

Is it my view, or was it slightly to the right of the groove? Maybe you were in the right hand groove but out of the left? Watching it leave in real time it looked like it was out of the right hand groove a tad, watching in slo mo from a sightly different angle looks like you were your left hand burn out marks...Being in the right hand groove but out of the left may have made it hook left. But hey, never drove one, and the rear end width looks like it might be tough to find the groove if primarily wider door cars are laying down the rubber.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/29/13 09:59 PM

Quote:

But hey, never drove one, and the rear end width looks like it might be tough to find the groove if primarily wider door cars are laying down the rubber.

It is tough. You are just barely in the groove when you are centered. I can't see where the back tires are and I still haven't gotten used to it enough to know where it is exactly. Thats why I rely on my crew to get me backed up in the groove and make sure I pull up and stay in it. Its getting easier but still not perfect I guess. I think you may be right in saying I was a little out of it. Because the second pass went straight, and straight up! lol.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 12:27 AM

It also seemed to me you were a little out of the groove on the first pass. I'll have to back & watch it again.

Really don't mind as I love the FED's
Maybe one day I'll end up with one
Looking forward to more vids!
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 11:42 AM

im not a fed chassis guy,but you have quick skills my friend! and the car is way cool!...looks like some good ideas above.trading tires/wheels from side to side would be my first,along with inspecting parts/measuring...good luck!!
Posted By: Dduster

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 02:56 PM

I think the burnout needs work more than anything. Get 'up' on the tires and have them smoke to get optimal equal traction at the 'hit'. More 'laps' and I think this will be fine.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 02:58 PM

Yeah that pass I don't know what the deal was with it. The second pass (he didn't record the burn out) was much better.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 03:25 PM

My dad always ran front motored stuff and had a front motored dragster that ran low 5's. Wheelie bars will be a must or eventually you will bend or break the chassis. He also always ran a open differential saying it was to make the car go straight. One other thing is that you were at the worst prepped track in DFW. Good luck with it!

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

My dad always ran front motored stuff and had a front motored dragster that ran low 5's. Wheelie bars will be a must or eventually you will bend or break the chassis. He also always ran a open differential saying it was to make the car go straight. One other thing is that you were at the worst prepped track in DFW. Good luck with it!

Jake, did your dad run weight in the front of the car? If so how much? That is what I am trying to figure out so when I build the weight bar I make it big enough but not to big you know?

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jake, did your dad run weight in the front of the car? If so how much? That is what I am trying to figure out so when I build the weight bar I make it big enough but not to big you know?

I don't think you can add enough weight to over come the front to rear weight bias, the motor and fat driver are right over the rear wheels just about

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you can add enough weight to over come the front to rear weight bias, the motor and fat driver are right over the rear wheels just about

Man your memory must really be bad. You must not remember what I look like even though I stayed at your house for almost a week. I'm not exactly fat!

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Man your memory must really be bad. You must not remember what I look like even though I stayed at your house for almost a week. I'm not exactly fat!

yea I remember, I figured with all those wheel stands you gained a lot of weight quit messing around and put some bars on that thing before you break it in half. when you get it figured out you can take them off.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/30/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes he had mounts made for a big weight bar in between the frame rails, he would also hang weight on the very front bar of the car. All that and if he or my uncle who drove it for a while forgot to put the wheelie bars down it wanted to flip over. I'll see if I can"t find a picture of the car. Might be one on my facebook page.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/31/13 02:47 PM

Well after talking to a great guy that runs Nostalgia Jr. fuel dragsters last night looks like we are going to be building a set of wheelie bars this winter. When we get to that point I will post some pics and hope my welding skills are still with me. Use the force!
Posted By: fed

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 10/31/13 11:53 PM

Whats the specs on the engin?
I thinking of a blower on my Fed.

Attached picture 7907071-Zikenhjullyft.jpg
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 11/01/13 12:14 AM

I would love to pick up an FED
Posted By: wildcargo

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 11/01/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if any one picked up on that also, line it up better,

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 11/01/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

Well after talking to a great guy that runs Nostalgia Jr. fuel dragsters last night looks like we are going to be building a set of wheelie bars this winter. When we get to that point I will post some pics and hope my welding skills are still with me. Use the force!

Good move. Nobody wants to see that beauty bent.

Re: A little sunday excitment. Not what I was hoping for! - 11/01/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

Whats the specs on the engin?
I thinking of a blower on my Fed.

I'm not sure of all the specs but I believe it is a dart little m block and RHS steel heads and right now we are only running about 5 or 6 psi on the blower trying to get everything worked out. We do have it on a fast xfi fuel injection system with 16 injectors. 26 degrees of timing at 2000 if I remember correctly. The best pass so far was 5.84 @ 105.57 and I was out of it and on the brakes at about 580ft. The oil pressure gauge went to 0 and I shut it down. We had been running about 109 in the 1/8th. So after some changes this winter we will really start trying to get it dialed in and work on getting it consistant and maybe bump the blower up after we know all the bugs are worked out. It is still pretty much a new car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums