Moparts

Stuck valve spring retainers

Posted By: tywebb2

Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 04:20 AM

I am trying to install new valve springs with the heads on the engine. I am using compressed air and one of the jaws type spring compressors with the knob on top to turn to compress the spring.

Problem is when I have the spring compressed the retainer and locks don't break free from the valve stem. I have tried tapping the top of the spring compressor with a dead blow hammer but that only worked to break free a couple of them. Do you guys have any other ideas for me? I really don't want to pull the heads.

By the way, these are BB eddy heads that are very clean so it isn't like things are shellac'd up.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 04:30 AM

I use a dead blow or plastic hammer on the retainer edge before I even try to compress the springs. Just keep tapping the retainer until it makes a different noise ( valve doesn't jump off the seat ). Then you will have no problem with the spring compressor.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 04:43 AM

Quote:

I use a dead blow or plastic hammer on the retainer edge before I even try to compress the springs. Just keep tapping the retainer until it makes a different noise ( valve doesn't jump off the seat ). Then you will have no problem with the spring compressor.

THIS................... You`ll definately hear the noise whe they free up.

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 04:58 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a try in the morning.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 12:55 PM

rubber shot filled mallet is how I've always done it.

try spraying the retainer/locks with WD40, PB blaster, etc.?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 01:07 PM

Sometimes that compressor wont fully release the keepers.You might also have to turn it and the spring some.Ive had some that i had to push it sideways to release the keepers.That and try spraying them with some brake cleaner.They might have gunk built up on them.Rocky
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 03:07 PM

PB Blaster.

Bigger hammer.

Posted By: 383man

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 03:27 PM

If you have problems with your spring tool you can borrow mine as it works real nice and lets you use both hands to take the keepers out and put them back in. Ron
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/26/13 06:32 PM

Be careful when tapping the retainers sides with the dead blow hammer, I have had a keeper take a hike when I was in a hurry Don't wail on it

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/27/13 03:51 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get them switched out this morning relatively easily. I put a little brake cleaner on the locks to soak overnight and then used a punch and deadblow hammer to tap the locks at 12, 6, 3, and 9 o'clock. By the time I made it around I heard the sound change as you mentioned and it was smooth sailing from there.

Thanks for the offer to borrow your spring compressor Ron but I was able to manage with the one I had.

Hopefully I can get everything else back together tomorrow and see if these springs do the trick.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/27/13 07:37 PM

Just take the appropiate size deepwell socket and a brass hammer and give each spring a wack to free up the locks.I would be cautious hitting the retainer on the edge you might screw something up or loose an eye. Hitting it square all around is the best and easest.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/28/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

Just take the appropiate size deepwell socket and a brass hammer and give each spring a wack to free up the locks.I would be cautious hitting the retainer on the edge you might screw something up or loose an eye. Hitting it square all around is the best and easest.

Do not hit the retainers on the sides. Do as Bob says and use a deepwell socket. I use a impact socket, as its a bit heavier and wont bounce as much. You also most likely have some sort of valvetrain problem that is causing the locks to be so stuck ( quite possibly micro welding)in the first place. Just be careful as to not hit SO hard, that you release the retainer and locks all at once, and have them go flying either on the floor or into the engine somewhere.
Posted By: B3RE

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/28/13 01:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You also most likely have some sort of valvetrain problem

Been saying this all along in his other thread.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Stuck valve spring retainers - 10/28/13 02:35 AM

I've always used a deep well socket and whatever hammer available,cover the retainer with a doubled over shop rag to contain any keepers in case they decide to come out. I also use the rope method.

© 2024 Moparts Forums