Moparts

Thinking of the darkside....

Posted By: Eric

Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 02:17 AM

Ok....I'll start by saying I LOVE MY ARROW...it's a blast to drive and I have won my fair share of rounds with it. That being said...who here has made the step from a door car to a rail?...and what were the results?....Rest easy it would still be Mopar powered.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 02:25 AM

I'd love too! Especially if it was an FED.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 03:05 AM

My thoughts......
Race what you enjoy racing the most. At the end of the day you are still gonna have to go to your day job to pay the bills
In other words, keep the door car, it has tons more character
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 03:19 AM

scared me i thought you were gonna run a big rock chevy...yea they're better but any bonehead can press the easy button
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 04:09 AM

Don't do it will can you try it out before you switch? Some people love them others don't I've know a few that tried them and didn't like it.

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 04:19 AM

Quote:

scared me i thought you were gonna run a big rock chevy...yea they're better but any bonehead can press the easy button

Hey....don't call me a bonehead when I'm thinking about buying your car.. ...actually I'm trying to figure out how to keep the Arrow and buy your car..
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 04:42 AM

Quote:

Don't do it will can you try it out before you switch? Some people love them others don't I've know a few that tried them and didn't like it.

Try it first!

http://dougfoley.com/

http://www.frankhawley.com/

http://royhillsdragracingschool.com/
Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 09:02 AM

After 18yrs of waiting for the right time, I finally got me a dragster. Hope to make my first pass in it next week.

Good Luck

Attached picture 7898609-Dragster.JPG
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 10:51 AM

Eric,

I have yet to drive one, but I have been interested in the Alterds more than the other pipe racks.

Couple things to consider, even outside of will the cage fit me, etc...Re-sale value, suspended vs. rigid, overall length, Front brakes, etc....I have been wanting to try an Altered, but after watching some of those, they can be more than a handful. Obviously, a rail will be much more stable. I agree with the rest, try one, then decide.

For me to consider one, it would have to be suspended, have front brakes and a regular wheel. Its a tall order, hence I stay with a door car. Heck most people don't take a second look at the a the dragsters or Altereds, so I guess its all in the eye's of the beholder and what your goals are.
Posted By: wafflebatter

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 03:07 PM

Do it! That way I can drive it and see if I like it too!

Attached picture 7898810-1186866_10200740362535614_266926506_n.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 03:33 PM

I drove an altered for a local guy for 2 years while I was building my car. What I liked about it was the visibility. You can see the front wheels. What I didn't like was getting a face shield covered with coolant, gasoline or oil. You are out in the weather, when it's cold outside it's a lot colder at 140 mph. Also when it's hot and sunny outside it's a lot hotter sitting in the lanes. I also didn't really care for the wind buffeting my helmet at speed.

I'll stick with my door car.
Posted By: Bob_Spelic

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 03:51 PM

Eric, As you know I switched.

Dragsters have no “personality”. My 66 Charger did. No one will come up to you and say how much they love your dragster or how they had one of those when they were young. I enjoyed that side of racing the charger. With that being said, I really do like racing a dragster. Maintenance on the dragster is a lot easier and one of the reasons I switched. As I got older crawling around the car got increasingly more difficult. With the dragster, everything is out in the open and easy to access. For me, the reduction in weight was almost 1700 (3650 to 1950) pounds so the wear and tear on the parts was considerably less. I race alone, so I do find that loading and unloading the dragster is a little more work than the car. I honestly don’t know why that is, but it does take me longer!

I had major issues with engines and transmissions this year, but I did buy a “new” 2004 dragster. Here are a few things that I think are important to racing a dragster with a mopar engine. Of course buying a dragster already fitted up with a mopar engine and glide, eliminates some of the items you will have to deal with!

1. Frame rails have got to be at least 20 inches between the inside edges of the pipe where the motor sits to easily clear the oil pump and starter. Tighter can be made to work, but 20 inches would be my recommendation.
2. An oil accumulator is a good thing to have because with a dragster pan and even with good trap doors, at 170 MPH stops at PRP, the oil does uncover the pickup at times
3. Stopping at PRP with a hardtail with no front suspension at 170 is going to be difficult. It is too easy to get the chassis into a bounce and they are hard to recover from. I have been there. You travel and race at many tracks, I would think you would want some suspension. People say good things about adding a front suspension to a hardtail. Cost is under $2000.
4. I prefer to run no alternator and a 16 volt system. While not a big deal, if you are used to running an alternator, you may find it challenging to have to charge all the time between rounds, or find it difficult to fit in the alternator between the frame rails.
5. Plumbing in the radiator becomes somewhat expensive because most of the dragster radiators have AN fittings, and only the more expensive water pump housings are AN capable. The old reliable 1 ¼ hose clamp setups and radiators can be made to work, but they require a lot of fitting up.
6. You’ll need a shorty gear set for the glide and a shorty cover.
7. Avoid the “lay down” dragster seating. You race 8.90 stuff and seeing the finish line is a must. The lay down visibility is not great for seeing the stripe and the opponent.

Bob

Attached picture 7898893-unertakeratPRP.jpg
Posted By: BJS racing

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 03:52 PM

Eric,

I have driven door cars, 23 left hand roadsters and this. I love them all.

Attached picture 7898896-IMG_6001smaller.jpg
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Ok....I'll start by saying I LOVE MY ARROW...it's a blast to drive and I have won my fair share of rounds with it. That being said...who here has made the step from a door car to a rail?...and what were the results?....Rest easy it would still be Mopar powered.

if you ever get in a dragster you will never want to go back.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 04:26 PM

I think the bracket racer in you will love the visibility, ease of maintenence and how cheap it is to go fast.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

I think the bracket racer in you will love the visibility, ease of maintenence and how cheap it is to go fast.

how cheap it is

Thats it ----- now we know he's gonna get a stick

Russ

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

how cheap it is

Russ

Hey I want you to know I just changed the sparkplugs in the Arrow.....new ones even
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/24/13 11:52 PM

Dang Eric, I just sold my RED with a Best Machine stroker in it for cheap. The RED was fun at first then it got boring. It was deadly consistent, easy to drive and easy to work on. All I had to do was point it down the track, let go of the button and hang on. The most exciting part of driving the RED was stopping it on these short tracks down here. A door car is more of a challenge to drive and way more fun. I wish I had kept the Cuda Chassis car.
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 01:10 AM

Split the difference and go with a roadster.

Easy to work on and light weight but not a pain to load and unload.

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 01:47 AM

Quote:

Split the difference and go with a roadster.

Easy to work on and light weight but not a pain to load and unload.

Love yours ....and it's a possibility
Posted By: RBDuster

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 03:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

if you ever get in a dragster you will never want to go back.

I have raced FED, rear end dragsters, altered's and door cars. I can say that I prefer my door car. It has personality and I am very comfortable in it.
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 03:57 AM

Quote:

My thoughts......
Race what you enjoy racing the most. At the end of the day you are still gonna have to go to your day job to pay the bills
In other words, keep the door car, it has tons more character

I agree, as a spectator, I would want to walk up and check out the Arrow and probably strike up a conversation, with a rail I don't much care for looking at them. Not that there is anything wrong with them but I can't really get into a conversation about a chassis with a motor. To me this sport is more of a lifestyle even though I don't race much, I still love to go and talk to people about their cars, the more character something has the more I like it. How often do you pull up beside another Arrow in the lanes?

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 04:24 AM

Is kinda cool huh...

Attached picture 7899878-arrowrichmond2.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 04:33 AM

I would say 90% of the time when I race a dragster I don't even know who's dragster it is that I am racing. Door cars have a face and usually a name associated with it. If it came down to owning a dragster or quitting I would probably quit racing or build a car just to play around with on test n tune days.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 05:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

how cheap it is

Russ

Hey I want you to know I just changed the sparkplugs in the Arrow.....new ones even

Yeah, from a yard sale down the street.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 05:33 AM

Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 06:40 AM

My , do what makes you happy today. heard too many people say "I wish I had done _______". If you decide you want another door car, there is one out there that will fit the bill.

Personally, I like putting pipe-racks on the trailer!

Now, one of my friends at work has a 4 link RED on RJ that has a current 6.0 tag on it. It currently has a 582 BBC in it, but it used to have a 500" mopar in it prior to him getting it. I think he is wanting to sell it rolling. Beep
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 01:29 PM

Different strokes for different folks. Get a hard tail on the cheap to see if you like it. You can always add suspension to it later if you decide to stick with it. If you discover it's not your cup of tea, then you can sell it cheap. Your biggest hurdle to overcome, would be to keep the Arrow so you have something to fall back on if the dragster doesn't work out. Good luck on your decision... it's a tough one!
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 02:00 PM

Posted By: tboomer

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 02:48 PM

Eric....Here is my You have a proven winner! No doubt about that! Remember when you sold "Sticky Business"? How long did you regret that? Another consideration,,,Is your trailer long enough for a piperack? Wasn't it you this summer who was too cheap to try a Dominator on your BGR engine? If I were you I would drive and make the best of your current car!!
Posted By: wafflebatter

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 03:19 PM

I'll split it with you, whoever wins more with it gets to keep it!

Attached picture 7900193-1186866_10200740362535614_266926506_n.jpg
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 05:29 PM

my door car driving has been very limited. 30 years ago the challenger i had ran low 11s. about 15 years ago i made a pass in a 10.50s camaro i had done some work on.

about a month ago i made a pass in a friends daytona and went 7.87 @ 173. now if i had made more runs in it maybe i would like it better but at this point having only really raced bikes and dragsters i prefer them over a door car i just feel more comfortable and like the vision.

for all the people that like to hate on dragsters because they have no personality while that may be true to a point you're more likely to find a mopar powered car in the lanes than a mopar powered dragster. heck just running a mopar to begin with makes you an oddball, when i started running a dragster there weren't a lot of them around and certainly none were mopar powered.

i don't race to impress other people or to look good my goal is to win when i stage

having said that pound for pound there is no better machine to do that with. dragsters are lighter, safer, more consistent, easier to work on, probably easier on parts and yes CHEAPER

i'm not bashing on door cars i like them but personally my history has been with dragsters and bikes, actually of any of the machines i've operated i prefer bikes and wish i had never gotten out of them.

to me racing isn't a fashion statement, it's hard to look bad when you're going rounds
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/25/13 06:03 PM

Quote:

my door car driving has been very limited. 30 years ago the challenger i had ran low 11s. about 15 years ago i made a pass in a 10.50s camaro i had done some work on.

about a month ago i made a pass in a friends daytona and went 7.87 @ 173. now if i had made more runs in it maybe i would like it better but at this point having only really raced bikes and dragsters i prefer them over a door car i just feel more comfortable and like the vision.

for all the people that like to hate on dragsters because they have no personality while that may be true to a point you're more likely to find a mopar powered car in the lanes than a mopar powered dragster. heck just running a mopar to begin with makes you an oddball, when i started running a dragster there weren't a lot of them around and certainly none were mopar powered.

i don't race to impress other people or to look good my goal is to win when i stage

having said that pound for pound there is no better machine to do that with. dragsters are lighter, safer, more consistent, easier to work on, probably easier on parts and yes CHEAPER

i'm not bashing on door cars i like them but personally my history has been with dragsters and bikes, actually of any of the machines i've operated i prefer bikes and wish i had never gotten out of them.

to me racing isn't a fashion statement, it's hard to look bad when you're going rounds

I agree that going rounds in important,but Debby said you got to look good doing it.
My pipe rack in in the corner of the shop.We're using it for a cloths rack,it's covered in blankets,fender covers and shop rags.
Posted By: 3404

Re: Thinking of the darkside.... - 10/28/13 01:15 PM

This was my first year in a dragster and I liked it. Cant say I like it any more than my Duster but it is much easier to do maintenance, easier to see, So much nicer having the room in the trailer, etc. I would say a fast door car is more exciting to race

© 2024 Moparts Forums