Moparts

Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks?

Posted By: DodgeCharger

Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 03:05 PM

Still can't get my car to hook. The track was bad this weekend at Maple Grove and it showed me were my problems are with suspension.
I am running QA1 single adjustable front shocks. I thought they were ok. My car starts to pull the front tires about 3 inches then the front drops right back down. I tried lifting the nose of the car and it is stiff. But if you unhook the shocks the nose comes right up. I took the shock out of the car. If I pull them apart slow they have little resistance but if I try to pull them apart fast they are like a 50/50 stiff shock.
My question is do the Caltrac shocks work. Do they separate fast? I would run the car without shocks but I don't want to have the front end come crashing down.
I am running 325x50x15 mickey Thompson drag radials so I need maximum transfer to 60 ft. I'm not even close on a cold track.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 03:32 PM

I use them and they are good, they separate easy but dont unnerve the car down track. Although one or two people on here, said they affected their car's handling.
Mick
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 03:50 PM

They work good for me.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 04:10 PM

I have some CE 90/10 front shocks if you want to try them. But keep in mind you don't want the front to come up to quickly though...
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 04:24 PM

I use them on my Satellite. I love them. I have no handling issues. I drive them on the street also. Do you have at least 5 inches of travel in the front?? I cut down the front bumpstops to get a little more movement.

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 05:40 PM

Yes I have a little over 5 inches of travel. The front is just to stiff with the QA1 shocks.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 05:41 PM

As caltrac says great for 9.90 and slower cars. Loved them on my car before the afcos. Lots of street driving with out a problem.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 05:53 PM

Yes, they are very loose, and work well. For what its worth, my car ran the same with CE 90/10 shocks...no difference at all.
Posted By: Joe Grippo

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 07:21 PM

They work great, too great for me as they were sending my car to the moon. I switched back to the CE's set at 80/20 and have been very consistent. Nice wheels up launch, nice carry and an easy landing. I was 1.399 & 1.401 on the two runs Saturday (left lane, right lane respectively).

Good seeing you again, are you coming back this Sunday?

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 08:52 PM

It was good seeing you. How far did you go? I red lighted -.025 first round. If I get my car switched around I plan on going on Sunday. I figure if I get this thing working decent with the cold track it will only hook better in the summer. You have your car working. I wish I could get mine to work half that good. I watched your in car video on youtube. I don't know if I would want to look at the sky as long as you do every run.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/21/13 09:16 PM

Cal 90/10's work great for me and tons of street driving.
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 01:39 AM

Yes, I just took off my QA1 SA and put on an older set of caltrac 90/10s. a BIG change Wheels off on launch, 2nd & 3rd

It really needs double adjustables to settle it down. The QA1s just did not want to compress and I don't think it was settling down.
amazing how much of an effect front shocks have
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 01:52 AM

yup I have them.
time for some DA on the front for me .

Attached picture 7895841-wheelie.jpg
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 04:57 AM

They helped me... as previously said should be good for 9.90 cars or slower.And they do come up fast and hold it there.

Attached picture 7896119-wchra#2(4).jpg
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 06:25 AM

Quote:

Yes, I just took off my QA1 SA and put on an older set of caltrac 90/10s. a BIG change Wheels off on launch, 2nd & 3rd

It really needs double adjustables to settle it down. The QA1s just did not want to compress and I don't think it was settling down.
amazing how much of an effect front shocks have

Sorry to be off topic but man i love that car!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 02:06 PM

They did not work at all on my car. Lifted too easily and would unload the rear. Works great w/ a stiffer shock.

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 02:21 PM

I'm using HD pickup truck shocks out rear.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 02:27 PM

I use a calvert 90/10's as well. work good.
I chased my tail with the drag radials for a long time. couldn't get the car to 60' very well(1.52)and that was with the hoosier DR. went to hoosier QTP and 60'improved to 1.45-.47 and they last a lot longer than the DR's. I ran the M/T DR for a long time and found the hoosier worked better. DR are difficult getting the chassis set up. i'v seen some with DR have double adjustables on front and back and they pull timing on the launch. way more trouble than I wanted. switch over to the QTP and you'll be glad you did. I still street drive with mine and don't have to buy new tires every year.

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 02:42 PM

same exact here. QTP's are good.

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

They did not work at all on my car. Lifted too easily and would unload the rear. Works great w/ a stiffer shock.

Hi Chip,
Do you have any video with these shocks? When you say they lifted to easy do you mean you were pulling the tires to high or the car wouldn't pull the tires before it spun? My car only pulls the tires quick about 2-3 inches then the front end drops.

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Chip,
Do you have any video with these shocks? When you say they lifted to easy do you mean you were pulling the tires to high or the car wouldn't pull the tires before it spun? My car only pulls the tires quick about 2-3 inches then the front end drops.

Don't think I have any video when I was dealing w/ this situation. It would initially pull the front wheels about 3 or 4" maybe then unload and smoke the rears. I tried a bunch of different things and nothing worked. Put my old front shocks back on (they are stiffer) and it went right back to hooking up. Same day, back to back test...after fighting the Calvert shocks for probably about 5 trips to the track worth of tuning.
The Calvert's were too loose and let the front end move too quickly. Should have tried my old shocks sooner, lol, but didn't think that could have been the issue. Hindsight's 20/20.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 05:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Chip,

Don't think I have any video when I was dealing w/ this situation. It would initially pull the front wheels about 3 or 4" maybe then unload and smoke the rears. I tried a bunch of different things and nothing worked. Put my old front shocks back on (they are stiffer) and it went right back to hooking up. Same day, back to back test...after fighting the Calvert shocks for probably about 5 trips to the track worth of tuning.
The Calvert's were too loose and let the front end move too quickly. Should have tried my old shocks sooner, lol, but didn't think that could have been the issue. Hindsight's 20/20.

I believe this is because you run a radial and they don't like to be shocked. They like a gradual setting. Don't drive them in to the ground to hard slow the car from coming up on the tire to quickly. I think a caltrac shock is a great shock for a 9.90 and slower slick car. To rapid movement for radials.

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 06:00 PM

Chip what front suspension do you have? I'm running stock. My car is also very nose heavy.
Posted By: SSDart

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Chip,

I believe this is because you run a radial and they don't like to be shocked. They like a gradual setting. Don't drive them in to the ground to hard slow the car from coming up on the tire to quickly. I think a caltrac shock is a great shock for a 9.90 and slower slick car. To rapid movement for radials.

I agree with you........ But do you really think the front can come up too quick? I can see the rear causing issues.

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

Chip what front suspension do you have? I'm running stock. My car is also very nose heavy.

DodgeCharger...All stock stuff other than the shocks. It has poly bushings and I spent some time freeing up the UCA bushings so they weren't bound up like most are after being rebuilt. No LCA bumbers and extensions on the shocks for travel. My car is noseheavy too...don't have the numbers in front of me, but I can get em when I get home from work this evening to tell you the front and rear weights.

67DartGT...The Calverts may work great on a different application like you said. I've never tried them on anything else. I just posted my experience b/c my car is very similar to the OP's.

SSDart...the only change I made to my car was the front shocks. A stiffer/slower extending set of front shocks made all the traction problems go away.

Attached picture 7896616-cudalaunchattherock.JPG
Posted By: SSDart

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

DodgeCharger...All stock stuff other than the shocks. It has poly bushings and I spent some time freeing up the UCA bushings so they weren't bound up like most are after being rebuilt. No LCA bumbers and extensions on the shocks for travel. My car is noseheavy too...don't have the numbers in front of me, but I can get em when I get home from work this evening to tell you the front and rear weights.

67DartGT...The Calverts may work great on a different application like you said. I've never tried them on anything else. I just posted my experience b/c my car is very similar to the OP's.

SSDart...the only change I made to my car was the front shocks. A stiffer/slower extending set of front shocks made all the traction problems go away.

Looks like the car works good........

Re: Does anyone use Caltracs 90/10 shocks? - 10/22/13 08:50 PM

I think my cars a little heavier than yours and the extra weight is on the nose. I have a steel shaker hood and a rubber bumper. The car weighs 3900 with me in it.
It appears that the front is to tight but if I try the Caltrac 90/10 s and it hooks then spins I'll know to start tightening things up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums