Moparts

Hemi Crankshaft Questions

Posted By: TrWaters

Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/15/13 08:51 PM

I have an early hemi crankshaft with a pitted rear main seal surface. Originally used a rope seal. Who would you recommend to weld and grind the seal area, and can it be done without having to regrind the rest of the crank?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/15/13 09:02 PM

Any journal can be repaired individually, I would chrome rather than weld if you can find somebody that hard chromes shafts.

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/15/13 09:36 PM

Is there such a thing as a "problem solver" small block Mopar rear seal? I could market that.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/15/13 09:38 PM

The problem solvers involve a pressed on sleeve over the damage, right? THe flange would be in the way...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/15/13 11:00 PM

When you say early hemi are you talking about a 331,354,392 C.I. Chrysler Fire Power pre 1959 Hemi or a 426 type Hemi? I think all of the early hemi Fire power Hemi had rope seals, not the later ones like introduced in the mid 1960 or when ever they first came out

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/15/13 11:31 PM

50's hemi, yes. By problem solver, I am talking an undersized I.D. seal. These originally had rope seals, but some aftermarket rubber seals are made.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/16/13 12:03 AM

How about having the pitted seal area brazed up and refinished
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/16/13 01:22 AM

Quote:

50's hemi, yes. By problem solver, I am talking an undersized I.D. seal. These originally had rope seals, but some aftermarket rubber seals are made.

What about turning it down and having a knurl put back on and using a rope seal ?

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/16/13 01:43 AM

That might be my way around this deal. I have $300 in a $300 crankshaft...that isn't worth anything the way it is. I do have several others that need attention in the seal area.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/16/13 01:56 AM

Shaftech in Ohio, The crank shop, NY.

Re: Hemi Crankshaft Questions - 10/16/13 09:39 PM

Anyone have a sb crank handy that they could measure the diameter of the rear seal journal?
© 2024 Moparts Forums