Moparts

TCS full metal jacket

Posted By: 572stealth

TCS full metal jacket - 10/04/13 11:09 AM

Has anyone else experienced 2nd gear slippage? I have a customer with 2 cars, both have 727's and both are flaring up to the rev limiter when they shift to 2nd. Both have Griner transbrakes and we never had this problem with alum drums, we thought going to a steel drum the parts would last longer. At first I had a red lined solid band and noticed black heat rings around the drum and bands so I just tried a Kevlar solid band and the slippage is worse, help! ps trans fluid is type F.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: TCS full metal jacket - 10/04/13 09:44 PM

double check adjustment. Hook up a guage & check line pressure.
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: TCS full metal jacket - 10/04/13 10:05 PM

Just a rookie thought here. My 727 book says the kevlar band is too harsh on the drum & can cause the drum to glaze over. They don't recommend it on any shifting drum. Could the drum &/or band be glazed thus causing the slip?

Of course, I read that after I installed one in my trans. Very interested in what you find is the issue. If it's the band then mine may come back apart as well.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: TCS full metal jacket - 10/04/13 10:28 PM

Quote:

Just a rookie thought here. My 727 book says the kevlar band is too harsh on the drum & can cause the drum to glaze over. They don't recommend it on any shifting drum. Could the drum &/or band be glazed thus causing the slip?

Of course, I read that after I installed one in my trans. Very interested in what you find is the issue. If it's the band then mine may come back apart as well.

What he said , Kevlar is no good for the front band, it's fine on the rear because it is not trying to stop a moving drum.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: TCS full metal jacket - 10/05/13 12:10 AM

and I ran a tcs steel drum and a red lined band and never had any shifting issues
© 2024 Moparts Forums