Moparts

Collector tethers. PICTURE

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 11:47 AM

I was wondering what they would look like and finally saw a picture.

Attached picture 7857887-1175620_161877944009167_63807008_n.jpg
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 12:46 PM

This brings out the anger- the NHRA ruling that forces anyone that doesn't want to weld their collectors to pay big money. The collector tether rule could have easily been written up in a way to allow guys to fab up their own tethers. Any fail safe system, using things that can be had cheaply would have sufficed. The market would have been there for the chassis builders to make the small parts for guys with no fab skills as well. On top of that, there are castle nuts, safety wire, etc commonly available that would easily pass tech. I get the safety issue, but don't try and tell me I can't follow some simple rules and build a retention devise good enough, based on guidelines and certain requirements. The NHRA can pound sand, I WILL weld the dammned things.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 01:09 PM

200-250 bucks for that? Wow.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 01:24 PM

NHRA has to keep their buddies businesses going strong while taking it out on the racers.
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 01:38 PM

I think those clamps would FAIL after many heat and cool downs. SS clamps @250+ is a smucked NHRA pocket change bending the small time racer over the bench again.

That's why I refuse to race any NHRA events. My 1500.00 custom headers have tabs on the collector with grade 8 bolts and nylon nuts. Thats good enough .
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 01:40 PM

[quoteI think those clamps would FAIL after many heat and cool downs. SS clamps @250+ is a smucked NHRA pocket change bending the small time racer over the bench again. ]

Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 02:44 PM

Here's my
This is another example of "passive management" and here's why; there seems to be more and more race cars that are owned by people that put less than adequate effort into the maintenance of their cars,along with tracks cutting back on staff and some tracks just don't Tech like they used to, for what ever reason.
All this being said the sanctioning bodies need to control the amount of "damages" created at member tracks an events. In stead of fixing the issues, the easiest way (for them) is to create a rule. this shows action promoting safer facilities and events (make insurance companies happy) . Now if they can line their pockets at the same time, its a win win for them. Also as in this case (tethers and other safety equipment) a good portion of the cost is the insurance that the manufacturer must carry on a "Certified " product.
Im not sticking up for the Sanctioning bodies but I have never heard anyone get up in arms for tougher track tech or demand that fellow racers take better care of their equipment either.
Obviously not all equipment failures at the track are from poor maintence but I feel they are on the rise.
again just my
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

My 1500.00 custom headers have tabs on the collector with grade 8 bolts and nylon nuts. Thats good enough .

nylon....exhaust heat. you need jamb nuts, nylon hardly holds up out here in the desert let alone an exhaust heat situation. They've also stated that their concern is with the movement of the pipe is stressing the tabs over time and they are breaking. I'm not a fan, but I'm thinking a couple diesel intercooler clamps I have at work and some creative cable crimping I can "knock off" that baby good enough for the visual effect they're looking for!
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 02:56 PM

yep, bull crap rule. tech the cars better. i have two tabs on each of my collectors with 1/4" grade 8 bolts and lock washers. i've driven thousands of miles on the street as well as running at the track and they've never come loose. this is the stuff that makes me want to run my slower car. as well as changing out perfectly good harnesses every two years.

might as well tether the trans to the engine while were at it.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 06:35 PM

How do the tech guys verify its a "certified" tether vs a copy that is rather used/rusted/oil stained/repeatedly heated, etc, especially if they never measure the DS safety loop set-back distance?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 06:47 PM

Quote:

This brings out the anger- the NHRA ruling that forces anyone that doesn't want to weld their collectors to pay big money. The collector tether rule could have easily been written up in a way to allow guys to fab up their own tethers. Any fail safe system, using things that can be had cheaply would have sufficed. The market would have been there for the chassis builders to make the small parts for guys with no fab skills as well. On top of that, there are castle nuts, safety wire, etc commonly available that would easily pass tech. I get the safety issue, but don't try and tell me I can't follow some simple rules and build a retention devise good enough, based on guidelines and certain requirements. The NHRA can pound sand, I WILL weld the dammned things.

Yup agree completely, I work with Federally certified/ aerospace certified welders daily and I will design it and they will weld it, sure gonna beat 4 hose clamps and a piece of rod or what ever that is.

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 07:01 PM

http://www.toysewoody.com/collector-teth...hering-devices/

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 07:02 PM

http://www.collectortethers.com/Collector-Tethers_c2.htm

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 07:04 PM

http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/dragracing-products/dragracing-pgs/header-tethering.html?t=34740
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 07:05 PM

That's just crazy money.

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 07:09 PM

SECTON 20: GENERAL REGULATIONS, ENGINE: 1, 1.3 EXHAUST (Page 3) (2/4/2013) (7/16/2013)

All cars must be equipped with exhaust collectors, headers, or stacks installed to direct exhaust out of car body to rear of car, away from driver and fuel tank. No part of the exhaust system may be routed through the driver’s compartment. Exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition. Effective Jan. 1, 2014, removable multi-piece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with an NHRA accepted header tether to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 08:35 PM

Quote:

How do the tech guys verify its a "certified" tether vs a copy that is rather used/rusted/oil stained/repeatedly heated, etc, especially if they never measure the DS safety loop set-back distance?

Just like every other certified component, there will be an SFI tag affixed somewhere, and an expiration date is soon to follow!
Also interesting that the Tether only attaches to ONE primary tube but welding only one primary tube is not accepable
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 08:48 PM

An interesting side note. The guy the has that business is also someone who caused this rule. He lost a collector then went to NHRA with this deal and got it approved. He helps cause the problem then comes up with a cure and cashes in. Gotta love it.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 09:07 PM

pittsburg racer that rule has been amended. I posted a link in another thread to the NEW rule. There is another option for now hopefully more will change soon on the entire rule.

But here it is as it currently reads
The NHRA Technical Department has modified the 2014 Header Collector ruling

A rule amendment will be made to the 2014 rule book to allow either an NHRA accepted tethering system or a minimum ½” (half inch) stich weld located on each primary tube.

The NHRA Technical department has also received numerous requests and submittals from various manufacturers for acceptance of their tethering systems. Please continue to monitor the NHRA Accepted Product listing, which can be found on www.NHRARacer.com , for additional manufacturers as they are accepted and added to the list.

The NHRA Technical Department will not accept Tethering System requests from individual racers, as this will inundate our resources and create an impossible situation to regulate in the field. Therefore, material sent from individual racers will not be reviewed for acceptance. Only legitimate manufacturers planning to market a tethering system should submit a request.

Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/19/13 09:32 PM

Quote:

An interesting side note. The guy the has that business is also someone who caused this rule. He lost a collector then went to NHRA with this deal and got it approved. He helps cause the problem then comes up with a cure and cashes in. Gotta love it.

Bingo! So, we can all learn something from this. Do a crappy job of maintaining your car, injure someone and scream that something has to be done about it...(and by the way here is an idea how to prevent this so lets get this mandated for everyone). Now, lets put together $35 worth of parts and mark them up 600% so we can make a killing on something that really isn't needed. If they are going to look under cars for these devices why can't they just look to see if the collectors are bolted properly? If their device only attaches to one primary tube why can't only one tube be welded to the collector? Not many door cars can get the headers off if all the tubes are welded to the collectors so that "bone" that NHRA is throwing just sucks.

My collectors are barely 3" off the ground. I will just buy the clamps for the tubes and tell the tech guys they are welcome to slide underneath the car to verify they are "approved" since you can only see the band when installed.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/20/13 04:16 AM

what they said...

Quote:

The NHRA Technical Department will not accept Tethering System requests from individual racers, as this will inundate our resources and create an impossible situation to regulate in the field. Therefore, material sent from individual racers will not be reviewed for acceptance. Only legitimate manufacturers planning to market a tethering system should submit a request.

what they really meant...

Quote:

The NHRA Technical Department will not accept Tethering System requests from individual racers, as this will inundate our resources and make it impossible for us to fleece yet even more money from the sportsman racers we could really care less about even though the individual racer's tethering system may be perfectly adequate or even superior to the obnoxiously overpriced crap we are requiring

i've been losing interest in racing to begin with and a little voice in the back of my head tells me spending over $200 for 4 hose clamps and a 20" of cable is not something i'm willing to do on principal
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/20/13 04:18 AM

Quote:

I was wondering what they would look like and finally saw a picture.

hand cuffs for headers
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/20/13 05:19 AM

I don't see any marking of anyway to tell where they come from.

IE: Serial Numbers, Company Logos or SFI /NHRA approval stamp.

That being said, make your own.

No more than $50 in parts there.
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/20/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

I don't see any marking of anyway to tell where they come from.

IE: Serial Numbers, Company Logos or SFI /NHRA approval stamp.

That being said, make your own.

No more than $50 in parts there.

There is a small anodized aluminum tube on one end of the cable assembly that says "Collector Tethers" and "NHRA Approved" in very small laser etched font. Nobody will ever see this while teching the cars.

NHRA is probably going to put a "penalty" in place if your collectors fall off and they find out you didn't have these.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Collector tethers. PICTURE - 09/20/13 03:36 PM

Meh, two stainless steel tabs, a section of wire rope with eyelets, a couple D-rings, maybe a turnbuckle. Maybe $50 if you're buying from a Gucci store.

All that said, is this really an issue? Your crap falls apart, how about the victimized party beats your a** in the pits? S/F....Ken M
© 2024 Moparts Forums