Moparts

Header tether rule update..

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 07:24 AM

For thos who have not heard the NHRA has ammended it's tehter rule for 2014. Here is the latest version of the rule. Basically if you dont want to run one of the NHRA approved tethers from the two approved vendors you can simply have a 1/2" stitch weld to each primary tube. I am sure there will be more changes as it gets closer to next year.

Here is the link
http://www.nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=56756&zoneid=132
Posted By: dvw

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 11:23 AM

I have no problem with saftey. This fix is not rocket science. But I quote "The NHRA Technical Department will not accept Tethering System requests from individual racers, as this will inundate our resources and create an impossible situation to regulate in the field." For a group that only checks seat belt dates at tech, no wonder a statement like this is made. I personally will not weld my headers or pay $200 for an "approved system" .Whats wrong with a cable from the trans to to a bracket under the O2 bung? $5 worth of material.
Doug
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 01:25 PM

This isn't really much help for cars that have headers that need to come out tube by tube. I wonder if they would accept it if one tube was welded to the collector and the rest were slip fit?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 04:33 PM

i bet unless you are at a national event no one ever looks.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 04:42 PM

A header collector came out from a nitrous car at the yellobullet nationals. Luckily he didn't drive over it, just fell on the ground at 60'. I just think they should require bolts inplace of springs.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 09:28 PM

I have welded on tabs & collectors are bolted together, wonder if i'll still need a tether?

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 09:42 PM

Yes tabs and bolts as of 2014 will NOT be legal. You will either need one of the two excessively priced NHRA approved tether systems or as amended a one inch stich weld on ALL the primary tubes. Results of racers NOT doing maintenance on their cars and causing injury to others.

I have tabs, bolts and mufflers and still have to conform to the new rule.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 09:52 PM

Lest see, by the time I get my ride back out. Have no idea when that will be

I'll need
New belts (6 passes)
New helmet (hardly worn, like new)
New jacket (never been washed)
Diaper
Header restraints

What else am I missing?????
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 10:01 PM

What's the ruling if the car has pipes and mufflers on it?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

I'll need
New belts (6 passes)
Diaper
Header restraints

A buttload of cash!!
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 10:19 PM

I was planning the stitch weld deal but then again I have 2 sets of headers for different motor combo's that are nicely coated so probably will eventually bite the bullet and order an approved kit, just hope this does not turn out like the window net deal of a year or two back or the ........ well you get the idea.

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll need
New belts (6 passes)
Diaper
Header restraints

A buttload of cash!!

And a jar of that special petroleum jelly

I'm all for being safe and the safety of everyone else. If they are going to check for tethers on my headers, why can't they just look to make sure my tabs are bolted properly?

Maybe they should have sealed lug nuts

Once they are torqued you can not remove them without the express written permission of the NHRA

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

The way the rule still currently reads is if you have a slip on collector you have to either stitch weld or purchase the approved tethers. Since I have mufflers that was why I asked and that was the answer I was given last week.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 10:37 PM

good lord, 4 tabs nut/bolts should have been fine. a couple of the NHRA's buddys get to make some money now.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 10:42 PM

Is this just NHRA or did IHRA mandate this too?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/17/13 11:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The way the rule still currently reads is if you have a slip on collector you have to either stitch weld or purchase the approved tethers. Since I have mufflers that was why I asked and that was the answer I was given last week.

yea cause we all know welds on headers never crack

nhra...gotta love em

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/18/13 12:05 AM

I guess if u have a full exhaust where it would be impossible for the collector to come off u still need a tether. Boy, u would need lots of tethering to hold the whole exhaust system on.

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/18/13 12:30 AM

Quote:

Is this just NHRA or did IHRA mandate this too?

THIS is on my mind also
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/18/13 01:38 AM

can any one say even more kick backs.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/18/13 01:41 AM

I have been depressed for over 2 years that I had to sell my ride BUT the more crap that comes out like this the better I feel about it.
When I do get to go back to racing it will most likely be on a bike very little safety stuff there to worry about.
no belt issue no net no ect ect.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/18/13 02:13 AM

Thanks for sharing the info Al
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/18/13 02:38 AM

I can see welds cracking over time in some applications from vibrations along with hot and cold spells in the system more than a bolt and lock nut failing.
A good 5-point bolt and nut can be better than a metal weak weld from contamination or not enough penetration.
Greasing the palms of those sipping fine brandy under palm trees. Go figure.
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 01:01 PM

This reminds me of all the BS we went through with the window nets. Maybe let the dust settle over the winter and see if NHRA pulls their heads out and make a common sense ruling. I know it's doubtful, but one can hope... right?
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 01:47 PM

I have an A Body that has 8 different pieces to put my headers on. I wonder if I will need to tether all of them lolol.

This is realy getting out of control... Next thing they want you to do is tether the drive shaft...
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

I have an A Body that has 8 different pieces to put my headers on. I wonder if I will need to tether all of them lolol.

This is realy getting out of control... Next thing they want you to do is tether the drive shaft...

I was just thinking about headers built this way and people changing their current headers to utilize slip tubes a few inches away from a welded collector. The way the rules read, you could weld the ends of the primaries to the collectors and have slip joints a few inches away from there with tabs and bolts. I hope headers companies are considering redesigning some of their current systems to utilize something like that.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 06:12 PM

Alguire and I have debated this a couple times now.. My opinion still stands.. I've used common sense when putting together my collectors/headers/muffler and will make a stink about it when I get told by tech to make a change to them.. until then, I'm not going to worry about it..

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 09:01 PM

I will be asking again this next weekend at the Salt Lake divisional if my stuff still needs the tethers. My guess is the answer will be yes//Oh yeah I got caught up in the whole window net deal as well. Since they had not amended the rule before the Phoenix divisional, first race of the year I was forced to buy a new net. So there went $150..Imagine will get hosed in this deal too since I doubt they will have clarity before Pomona again.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was just thinking about headers built this way and people changing their current headers to utilize slip tubes a few inches away from a welded collector. The way the rules read, you could weld the ends of the primaries to the collectors and have slip joints a few inches away from there with tabs and bolts. I hope headers companies are considering redesigning some of their current systems to utilize something like that.

Weather you have a short piece welded to the primary
and then have a bolt on extension its all considered
collector...... my way of thinking... DONT GO TO ANY
NHRA RACES... let them see what happens over 1 year..
they WILL be crying the blues... this is getting WAY
out of hand... I havent seen it in the IHRA rules
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 09:34 PM

Quote:

And a jar of that special NHRA approved petroleum jelly

Fixed
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 09:42 PM

I have seen collector extensions come off, but never saw the actual collector it's self come off,,if it was bolted properly with tabs etc.
If welding is not acceptable at the collector, why is welding OK at the flange area at the head?? Maybe NHRA should tell the header manufactures to tether them there too. I have bolt on header extensions on my TTI headers. I will put tapered loc nuts on them with loc-tite, lock washers and drill the bolt for a cotter pin. Suppose that will pass??

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/19/13 10:51 PM

Well i have 2 single pipes & 2 welded to 1 flange, if i weld my collectors on, i will never get my headers out of the car. They are custom built. I guess i'll have to cut welds everytime i have to take them off. That's bullsh-t. Maybe i won't go to the races anymore.
Posted By: SportF

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/20/13 12:11 AM

I find this whole rule stupid. Its ok if the collector falls off, just make sure you catch it. How about don't let it fall off in the first place. Lock wire your bolts, lock wire your tabs, use a cotter key to secure nuts, something, just don't let it fall off in the first place. I don't think anybody is debating the danger, so inspect, not for a tether, but for a sure method of securing in the first place, eh?
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Header tether rule update.. - 09/20/13 01:32 AM

Quote:

I find this whole rule stupid. Its ok if the collector falls off, just make sure you catch it. How about don't let it fall off in the first place. Lock wire your bolts, lock wire your tabs, use a cotter key to secure nuts, something, just don't let it fall off in the first place. I don't think anybody is debating the danger, so inspect, not for a tether, but for a sure method of securing in the first place, eh?

Bingo -

However that makes too much sense ------

Russ
© 2024 Moparts Forums