Moparts

Cowl Hoods for A-bodies

Posted By: mshred

Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/15/13 07:16 PM

Want something to replace my current AAR bolt on for my scamp. Would like to stick with a bolt on hood, but want one that is light like the AAR (have heard some bolt on's are as heavy as stock). I may consider a pin on, although this is a street car and im worried that if I have to pull off a pin on it might fly away on a windy day lol.

That said, post up what brand and size please! I really am liking the 5" US body Source and VFN hoods, and I know glasstek makes some too, just not sure how the different heights look. I am looking for taller than 4". Also, thought I would throw in there im looking for fibreglass front and rear bumpers- is there any company in particular who makes better quality ones than the others for a decent price?

Here is the car currently with the AAR hood.

Attached picture 7852919-DSC00578.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/15/13 07:55 PM

I like it. Oh I'm sorry, there's no picture.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/15/13 08:20 PM

Quote:

yea im not sure why its not working...I tried twice to upload it...here is another one

Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/15/13 08:48 PM

Feed it from the FRONT. matt
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/15/13 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yea im not sure why its not working...I tried twice to upload it...here is another one

I never used to like cowl hoods on Mopars but I do now. 4 or 5 inch max and as far back toward the windshield as possible. My Duster may have one on it for next year so i will be watching this post too.
Posted By: superbee500

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 12:06 AM

VFN built this for me, its a 5" bolt on
its light and very good quality

Kevin

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Kevin

Did you have to trim the back at all once you got it, or was it pretty much a bolt-on deal? Also, do you remember even vaguely what the price was? I did some calcs based on the price on their site and it seems like BIG money...although I know you pay for quality.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 12:45 AM

I too have been contemplating switching to a bolt on cowl for my '69. U.S. Body source is not an option, poor quality from my past experience

Attached picture 7853344-image.jpg

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 12:47 AM

Quote:

I too have been contemplating switching to a bolt on cowl for my '69. U.S. Body source is not an option, poor quality from my past experience

Yea I did some searching and it seems like their rep isn't the greatest...might explain the more affordable price.

Gotta love how all the mopar hoods from VFN and Glasstek are custom priced with a flat hood that has the scoop molded to it...whereas the chevy and ford stuff has cowl or whatever hoods already one piece for half the price...sheesh
Posted By: ValiantRich

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 01:00 AM

AAR makes a 4 1/2" cowl hood for your car for $500. I have used their products before and the quality is great. I just ordered a hood with 6" cowl for my 69 Valiant from Glastek. Cost is $750 because they make a flat hood and then install the cowl. I will post pics after it is installed.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 01:02 AM

Quote:

AAR makes a 4 1/2" cowl hood for your car for $500. I have used their products before and the quality is great. I just ordered a hood with 6" cowl for my 69 Valiant from Glastek. Cost is $750 because they make a flat hood and then install the cowl. I will post pics after it is installed.

The hood I currently have pictured above is the AAR hood and im looking to move away from it (will be for sale once I get something else). Was that $750 you paid for a bolt on or pin on hood? How was the quality and finish of it when you received it before installing it?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 01:37 AM

They aren't just for A-bodys...
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 02:26 AM

.....I think my Nova looks just fine!

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 04:12 AM

Quote:

Anymore pics of that J-body? Brand? size? Looks good!

The whole point of this thread is to see what company everyone likes and what size it is. I don't want to buy a hood that I haven't seen.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Anymore pics of that J-body? Brand? size? Looks good!

The whole point of this thread is to see what company everyone likes and what size it is. I don't want to buy a hood that I haven't seen.

I agree nice looking car. how tall is the cowl scoop? i think i am going to need one at least 7 inches tall for my tunnelram. I am building a 73 duster with a 72 front end on it. just hope a 7 inch is not going to be tool tall or look funny??
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 04:43 AM

AAR hood on my car great quality no cowl though, thinkin bout one for the new Duster
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 04:48 AM

I like them when they come real close to the windshield, otherwise they look funky to me. Kinda like the 69 Camaro cowl made by AMD.. The opening is at the very back of the hood about 6-8 inches off the windshield
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 05:13 AM

This is the cowlhood I ended up with and I'm posting it because its 6" and goes all the way to the windshield... which means its a lift off and not hinged..

I got it from Glasstek about 2 years ago and at the time, it cost me $510 + $200 to ship to California..

Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 12:57 PM

Quote:

This is the cowlhood I ended up with and I'm posting it because its 6" and goes all the way to the windshield... which means its a lift off and not hinged..

I got it from Glasstek about 2 years ago and at the time, it cost me $510 + $200 to ship to California..

that looks nice... How did it effect performance
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 01:10 PM

Aar is good,but does and will not make anything that you dont see on there website.Glasstek i had 2 experiences w bad and good.I bought a bolt on cowl for the cuda 4"..it will fit,but def needed body work to do so.My lift off 4" installed cowl fit perfect.They make what you want there which is nice,and there prompt also.The cowl i use works well w the airpan i made and et's were on point.
Posted By: dUmB!

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 01:22 PM

200$ shipping on a hood box ior crate is flat out wrong .... other than shipping out of North American .....
Posted By: racerx

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

One of the problems i'm having with the front facing hoods is the air that gets under the hood seems to lift to the point that it puts stress on the fastens and loosen them I also have been thinking of going to a cowl hood.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

One of the problems i'm having with the front facing hoods is the air that gets under the hood seems to lift to the point that it puts stress on the fastens and loosen them I also have been thinking of going to a cowl hood.

my cowl lifts from the back, not quite as bad as a forward scoop but it does try and lift. I should have pinned it close to the opening.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

my cowl lifts from the back, not quite as bad as a forward scoop but it does try and lift. I should have pinned it close to the opening.

Thaxs for that bit of info.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 03:59 PM

I should have put the pins here... Or maybe fabbed something under the middle of the cowl, and I don't even have the cowl vent blocked off. I'm sure if that was blocked even more air would flow under it.

Attached picture 7854052-6207514-hood.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

One of the problems of the stock type scoops is that
its not up in the air flow... either raise it up or
move it forward on the hood... as to the cowl type..
look at the way the rain goes off the windshield to
see if its in the positive or negative air flow...
that will tell you which way the air is flowing
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 04:34 PM

Quote:

that looks nice... How did it effect performance

Cant really tell ya anything about performance as we have a new motor also.. I can tell ya that at 130-ish the hood stays flat... at 150, I get the hood starting to bow exactly at the spots Mr Yuck pointed out with arrows in his pic..

We need to add a couple of dzuz there..

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Aar is good,but does and will not make anything that you dont see on there website.Glasstek i had 2 experiences w bad and good.I bought a bolt on cowl for the cuda 4"..it will fit,but def needed body work to do so.My lift off 4" installed cowl fit perfect.They make what you want there which is nice,and there prompt also.The cowl i use works well w the airpan i made and et's were on point.

Andy, which hood is on the cuda now that its been painted? It looks good in the pictures that I remember seeing of it

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is why I want to stay with the cowl to be honest...Im not going fast enough to rip the hood off, but when I do go that fast, I dont want to find out all about it.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 10:28 PM

Quote:

I should have put the pins here... Or maybe fabbed something under the middle of the cowl, and I don't even have the cowl vent blocked off. I'm sure if that was blocked even more air would flow under it.

How do you find having a pin on hood for a street car? Im thinking of going that route since they are lighter, but im not sure if it will be a hassle everytime I need to work on the engine...or worse yet, where to put the hood (and then hope it doesn't fly away)
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 10:38 PM

here is ours, we do drive it on the street. Pin on is not that bad

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Andy, which hood is on the cuda now that its been painted? It looks good in the pictures that I remember seeing of it

It has a glasstek cowl w the chevy line.I'f u order tell them the installed height and mine is 4" which to me is not to big and gives a nice clearence w the 9.60 deck height.I used zeus fasteners and it DOES NOT move at all on the top end.I'll ask brett or brad to post a pic of it.The pic makes it look like its dull,but in real life you need sun glasses
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 11:27 PM

For fishy340

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/16/13 11:45 PM

thanks Brett for posting pics for me,and yes the button on the leftside of the bumper is to record the pass.I get asked that question often.
Posted By: KOS

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How do you find having a pin on hood for a street car? Im thinking of going that route since they are lighter, but im not sure if it will be a hassle everytime I need to work on the engine...or worse yet, where to put the hood (and then hope it doesn't fly away)

it is a hassle gonna be a 2 man job.......went from a six pac hood which i could lift easily by the scoop myself to a 6"glasstek which looks awsome but no way in hell can lift it by myself without damaging something....had to do it once when nobody was around to help what a pain.on top of that slowed my car down solid tenth if not worse.now i use the sixpak hood at the track and the cowl to cruise on the street because its the only way i can fit a air breather on.fwiw id run a sixpak....

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:18 AM

The $750 that I referred to in my previous post is for a lift off hood by Glasstek. It should be arriving in a day or two. They offer cowls that come close to the windshield or end at the hood line. Also available with or without a rib going down the center. My previous hood had 10 dzus fastners holding it on and it flew off the car at the finish line at 152 mph in the semi final two weeks ago at Maple Grove. I was not allowed to run the final round without a hood. I am hoping for better results with the cowl hood.

Attached picture 7854715-attachment.JPG
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:25 AM

here's a pict of the one's I had made. 4" lift off only. $350.00 is what I paid.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:35 AM

Quote:

Nice! Looks good! What company made that hood? And are those just regular hood pins at the 4 corners holding it on?

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:35 AM

Quote:

here's a pict of the one's I had made. 4" lift off only. $350.00 is what I paid.

Where did you have this one made? Looks good!

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It has a glasstek cowl w the chevy line.I'f u order tell them the installed height and mine is 4" which to me is not to big and gives a nice clearence w the 9.60 deck height.I used zeus fasteners and it DOES NOT move at all on the top end.I'll ask brett or brad to post a pic of it.The pic makes it look like its dull,but in real life you need sun glasses

The pictures look wicked Andy! You did a good job with it! Thanks for the info too! I tried to call them and VFN today but no answer at either, so ill have to try again.

Just curious, are you running the factory bumpers or glass ones? If glass, that chrome finish looks really nice and im curious to know what was used.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

it is a hassle gonna be a 2 man job.......went from a six pac hood which i could lift easily by the scoop myself to a 6"glasstek which looks awsome but no way in hell can lift it by myself without damaging something....had to do it once when nobody was around to help what a pain.on top of that slowed my car down solid tenth if not worse.now i use the sixpak hood at the track and the cowl to cruise on the street because its the only way i can fit a air breather on.fwiw id run a sixpak....

Yea to be honest im still up in the air of whether I want to be a bolt on or pin on...Im thinking the bolt on is just more practical for what I do, but we'll see. Do you have any pics of your car with the 6" cowl from glasstek? was the fit and finish nice? how about your 6 pak scoop- who made it?

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:42 AM

Quote:

The $750 that I referred to in my previous post is for a lift off hood by Glasstek. It should be arriving in a day or two. They offer cowls that come close to the windshield or end at the hood line. Also available with or without a rib going down the center. My previous hood had 10 dzus fastners holding it on and it flew off the car at the finish line at 152 mph in the semi final two weeks ago at Maple Grove. I was not allowed to run the final round without a hood. I am hoping for better results with the cowl hood.

What are you going to use to secure the hood this time around?

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 12:46 AM

Thanks bud the only fiberglass on the car is the hood,yes there oe bumpers and actually never re chromed.The 9" rear was powder coated by my bud Vinny action powder coating.I love the cowl from glasstek...it is very strong and if you look at the supporting fiberglass underneathe you'll love it.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 01:05 AM

I don't think there will be as much pressure under the cowl as there was with the forward scoop so I will probably mount it in a similar way as it was before.
Posted By: KOS

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea to be honest im still up in the air of whether I want to be a bolt on or pin on...Im thinking the bolt on is just more practical for what I do, but we'll see. Do you have any pics of your car with the 6" cowl from glasstek? was the fit and finish nice? how about your 6 pak scoop- who made it?

i bought the hood in 2 pieces from glasstek... it was an extended cowl which i got my buddy to trim to 1.5-2"off the windsheid then fit it to the hood for the max cowl effect.it has teh line goin down the center of the hood(like the look) even made it so it was sealed to the carb first time around and couldnt believe how much it slowed the car down a solid tenth in the 60ft!!!! took the hood off sixpak on and et came right back.then we cut the inside of the hood out figuring we would try it open without it sealed to the carb like i run the sixpak and still down on et.it would mph the same but et suffered.on top of it all with teh sixpak hood the carb actually touches the top of the sixpak at the rear so there is 0 hood clearance which cant be good for hp but still runs faster than the cowl.the cowl hood is killer looking very nice piece from glasstek paid good $ for it but wouldnt do it again to slow down.i can email you pix for some reason i have a hard time posting em on here.p.s. the sixpak hood was made locally cant remember the guys name but hes gone.looks like a factory 70dart hood with a factory sixpak scoop.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 01:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice! Looks good! What company made that hood? And are those just regular hood pins at the 4 corners holding it on?

Glasstech, there are 5 pins 3 in the front and 2 in the back.. its been 145mph with no issues. oh its a 5"
I can lift the hood myself, I just lift the front and then grab the back of it and lift it right off.
Posted By: superbee500

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

Did you have to trim the back at all once you got it, or was it pretty much a bolt-on deal? Also, do you remember even vaguely what the price was? I did some calcs based on the price on their site and it seems like BIG money...although I know you pay for quality.

The Hood was bolt on no trimming at all.
The Hood was about 800.00 with shipping.
Just like anything else you get what you pay for.

Kevin
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/17/13 02:41 AM

Believe it's a VFN hood. top comes back over the cowl just a little. There are also two pins that slide into the cowl so you can actually "tip" the hood up and prop it with a rod. Also helps keep the back of the hood down. I can't remember if it's the same hood that had our Dart Sport hood scoop on it. It was in my dads hands when the cowl change came about.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/18/13 04:11 AM

BUMP for any others running a cowl hood on their a-bodies!
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/19/13 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Where did you have this one made? Looks good!

I took them my hood and a scoop and had them make the mold. if interested, they're ordered thru me and they will quote on shipping.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/19/13 01:27 AM

Quote:

I've had several street cars with pin-on hoods, the only good thing is that it is really nice to have the hood out of the way when I work on the engine since I'm 6'2" tall.
Everything else about them sucks, if you're by yourself it really needs to be a hood you can manage alone, and safely set it on top of the car. And at car shows and cruises you better have a few small tethers or straps because it always semms to be windy when you're at a show with a lift-off hood. My 69 Dart had a hinged glass 6pak hood, the Duster I'm building now will have a stock hinged hood. By the way, lift off trunk lids are even worse to deal with, especially if you're hood is already on top of the car.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/19/13 05:29 AM

changing to a cowl was the best thing i ever did, faster e.t & mph.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/21/13 05:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've had several street cars with pin-on hoods, the only good thing is that it is really nice to have the hood out of the way when I work on the engine since I'm 6'2" tall.
Everything else about them sucks, if you're by yourself it really needs to be a hood you can manage alone, and safely set it on top of the car. And at car shows and cruises you better have a few small tethers or straps because it always semms to be windy when you're at a show with a lift-off hood. My 69 Dart had a hinged glass 6pak hood, the Duster I'm building now will have a stock hinged hood. By the way, lift off trunk lids are even worse to deal with, especially if you're hood is already on top of the car.

Yea, I have pretty much decided to keep it a bolt on hood for now. You make a lot of good points, and since I mostly work on this car by myself in my driveway, I figure a bolt on is a better way to go for the convenience, even if it gives up a few pounds.

As for the hood, im now having second thoughts...Not a fan of the cowl I have right now, but also not a fan of paying close to $900 to have a cowl made that I actually like. Im starting to like the idea of a bolt on 6 pack hood with a taller 6 pack scoop and feeding some fresh air down the cars throat....
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/21/13 06:06 AM

Not a A-body... but this is a 4" cowl I had made.. it
was a pin on but I glassed in mount points for the hinges...
I can even pull the engine and trans as a assembly without
puling the hood.... I'm gonna repaint the car so I
want to see if I can make some sliders to get the opening
closer to the windshield for a better flow point...
plus I need to seal it to the carb

Attached picture 7860240-DSC00234.JPG
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/21/13 12:45 PM

Cowls look good on Darts

Attached picture 7860319-image.jpg
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/21/13 01:41 PM

I have a AAR bolt on 6 pack hood that I made a pin on... I moved pins in some also . It's sturdy and don't lift up and don't think the wind will blow off my vinyl top. Take it off and on no problems... I saw at mopar Carlisle a cowl I was looking at and I think the place was called stinger fiberglass. I was looking at a thin pin on 4" that someone had cancelled on. Quality looked nice.
Posted By: kingdust

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/22/13 02:21 AM

mine is a harwood 8" outlaw scoop. the hood is a us body source that had a areostyle scoop. my broyher is a body man and we reinforced the hood underneath than cut the scoop out and molded in the cowl and repainted it. you would never know that it had another scoop on it. heres a pic before an after.

Attached picture 7860997-atcoseasonopener10.0.jpg

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/22/13 02:29 AM

with the cowl, I have close up pictures but the files are to large to load.

Attached picture 7861010-IMG_7071.jpg

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/22/13 02:36 AM

KingDust, any difference in ET and MPH? Nice looking Duster.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/22/13 02:43 AM

The hood on my Dart was an AAR bolt-on, I loved it. I believe the scoop was 3 inches tall. I really don't like the looks of the 5" 6pak scoops but I guess sometimes they are a necessity.

Attached picture 7861025-100_4340.jpg

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/22/13 05:50 PM

I put a different motor in the car that's why I had to change the scoop. The class I was running at the time wouldn't allow a forward facing scoop that was higher than 5 inches from the base of the Hood. So that's the only reason I used the cowl. Otherwise I would have put on a prostock style Hood like the one valiant rich has! If your in the left lane ifs hard to see the lower bulbs. I put the 6 inch cowl on and that goes closer to the windshield but it was hitting the carburetor. Your car looks exactly like the dart my friend sold. It was tubbed with a B1 motor in it.
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/23/13 01:59 AM

Quote:

thanks Brett for posting pics for me,and yes the button on the leftside of the bumper is to record the pass.I get asked that question often.

Fishy whos wing do you run on the rear?

BTW mine is a pin on light weight from fiberglass trends in anaheim ca. Actually the whole nose is from them..

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 09/23/13 02:08 AM

Ed Quay and super nice people over there.It will take a few hrs to put on and comes with all the hardware,just tell em how many struts you want.I got it in like 2 days and it is a quality piece.I took Al w the cudas advice and it went on perfect.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 10/13/13 12:30 AM

Here is a pic of my Valiant with the Glastek 6" cowl hood. It is held on with 10 dzus fastners and seems to be fine. Uncle Anthony cut the hood to be 1" from the windshield and the car seemed to lose MPH. I cut 2" off the hood and mph went back to normal. GM made the new COPO Camaros with 5" from the cowl hood to the windshield. Glastek recommended at least 4". I have recieved mostly good comments on the flat black paint but I havent decided if it should be painted white or have some design on it. Any opinions?

Attached picture 7885446-Valiant@MapleGrove2013.jpg

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 10/13/13 12:41 AM

rich,i seen your car at uncle Anthony's 2 weeks ago. hood looks really good.paint the hood white and maybe air brush something on the cowl later on. tony said you went a 60 something with the new hood?.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 10/13/13 12:42 AM

Quote:

KingDust, any difference in ET and MPH? Nice looking Duster.

thanks.

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 10/13/13 12:47 AM

In good air 3 weeks ago at Atco it went 8.67 after I cut 2" off the hood. In bad air at the Maple Grove National Event last week it ran 8.82. Seems the same as with the old front facing scoop.
Posted By: gtsdon

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 10/13/13 01:09 AM

I'm also thinking about a fiberglass bolt on hood. How much trouble is it to remove the hinge springs and replace them with lightweight springs? Can this be done through the wheel well splash shield area or do you have to remove the fenders? Also, anyone know how much weight savings there is between a GTS hood fiberglass bolt on Cowl Hood? Thanks...

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 10/14/13 12:55 AM

Quote:

I'm also thinking about a fiberglass bolt on hood. How much trouble is it to remove the hinge springs and replace them with lightweight springs? Can this be done through the wheel well splash shield area or do you have to remove the fenders? Also, anyone know how much weight savings there is between a GTS hood fiberglass bolt on Cowl Hood? Thanks...

I took my doors off and was able to do it without removing the fenders...towels and care are your friend in this situation lol...Oh, and I didn't buy the springs either...they came from the wrecker, iirc off either a Jeep Grand Cherokee around 1999 year or a 1998 and earlier GMC 1500 truck...I know for a fact it was one of those
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Cowl Hoods for A-bodies - 10/14/13 01:28 AM

Consider buying a second set of hinges. I was unable to re install a spring on a "A" body hinge that someone un-sprung, only got 1/2 turn wind and couldn't wind it any farther. I was thinking of replacing my stock 340 Hood with a glass hood and another set of hinges without the springs altogether and just use a prop rod. As for removing and re-installing them without removing the fenders I would think it VERY difficult.
Good Luck.
ricky
© 2024 Moparts Forums