Moparts

identify this converter

Posted By: rebel

identify this converter - 09/13/13 08:42 PM

i've been looking for a 10" 4-4500 converter & have had this unit offered to me. it's been in storage for a while & the brand is not known. it has 10430 & F9 stamped on it. can anybody here identify this or better still does someone have a converter like what i'm wanting for sale?
Posted By: jp15

Re: identify this converter - 09/13/13 09:04 PM

what are they asking for it???? just kidding. looks like a OOOLD motor home converter
Posted By: slippery440

Re: identify this converter - 09/13/13 09:12 PM

Looks to me like a 9" converter. Way to small to be a reg car or truck. Right now not worth much.

Re: identify this converter - 09/13/13 09:36 PM

it measures 10" across the donut & is reportedly a 4000 stall. haven't talked price yet, it was just offered to me as is. i sure wouldn't want to pay too much if i even did buy it.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: identify this converter - 09/13/13 09:41 PM

In my opinion, it appears to be in real rough shape and I wouldn't run it without first cutting it open and checking it. I know you're on the other side of the world, so not sure if there is someone local there who can do that for you.

I've seen much better looking converters turn out to be junk.

Re: identify this converter - 09/13/13 10:02 PM

yes i'd definately cut it open before using but i need to know if it's a goody or not. the owner lives by the sea which is why the outter casing is so rusty but it did have a cap over the snout to keep the crap out.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: identify this converter - 09/13/13 11:22 PM

What are they using to hold the shop door open now? hurry up and put it back.
Posted By: Duner

Re: identify this converter - 09/13/13 11:42 PM

I don't think I'd even gamble the money to have it cut open...
Then again - anybody that will cut it open for you will probably know what it's characteristics are by looking inside.

But then again, I'm kinda stingy with my labor when it comes to R&R on transmissions. Even the fluid is too pricy for me to gamble with. LOL

Good luck!
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: identify this converter - 09/14/13 04:53 AM

i think thats a "boat anchor" brand......
if thats not it than its surely a "big door,,stop"
lol
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: identify this converter - 09/14/13 05:31 AM

sounds like a B&M part number
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: identify this converter - 09/14/13 06:19 PM

Quote:

In my opinion, it appears to be in real rough shape and I wouldn't run it without first cutting it open and checking it. I know you're on the other side of the world, so not sure if there is someone local there who can do that for you.

I've seen much better looking converters turn out to be junk.

Rough shape? Looks like it was "stored" under water...........

Re: identify this converter - 09/14/13 07:28 PM

Well, if a guy spent half a day on it with a wire wheel and a glass beader - it would almost look like a "normal" old converter that somebody had laying around for 20 years... that I still wouldn't bother with. LOL
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: identify this converter - 09/14/13 08:44 PM

From an '82 Summit catalog, B & M "'67 and later A-727 Torqueflite 9" race".

Re: identify this converter - 09/14/13 09:22 PM

OK, so it was 30 years....
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: identify this converter - 09/14/13 09:31 PM

Quote:

That's a good one. Just add pop-up pistons and a FULL race cam.

Re: identify this converter - 09/15/13 12:59 AM

Quote:

only one thing, it's 10" across the donut. i thought it might have been a B&M as their numbers are kinda close. it's had very little use & it's outward appearence is rather sad but it's lived in a garage within a stone throw from the ocean for the past 20+ years. the inside might still be fine as it's been capped all this time. it's gotta be better than that Plymouth they buried in Tulsa.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: identify this converter - 09/15/13 01:16 AM

Quote:

i've been looking for a 10" 4-4500 converter & have had this unit offered to me. it's been in storage for a while & the brand is not known. it has 10430 & F9 stamped on it. can anybody here identify this or better still does someone have a converter like what i'm wanting for sale?

wow please keep looking or your next post will be 727 blue of my legs
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: identify this converter - 09/15/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

only one thing, it's 10" across the donut.

Different manufacturers have different ways of measuring a converter.
Posted By: ultimatelenny

Re: identify this converter - 09/16/13 01:43 AM

That is an old B&M converter build from a 9" Cortina core. These were also known as the 069J and 089J converters. 30 plus years ago they were the choice of most converter companies and a must have in the earlier Hemi and Wedge cars.

Re: identify this converter - 09/16/13 05:32 AM

so Lenny, do you think the insides are of a resonable quality that it's worth doing a cut & reco of it? my research has found it was running in a 9 sec altered back in the early 80's until it was wrecked. it was used for 2 years only so it had limited use. i'm just wanting it for a 10 sec streetcar that will see more friday night racing than street time.
Posted By: ultimatelenny

Re: identify this converter - 09/16/13 12:47 PM

Hopefully the inside doesn't resemble the outside, lol. I have seen many of these and if the core is in decent shape on the inside , there are a lot of upgrades that can make it a viable piece for you
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: identify this converter - 09/21/13 06:00 PM

How cool, an old "J" converter. We used to run them in the stockers and super stockers as they were nearly bullet proof. When you look down the snout, is it clean inside (no rust or anything on the metal parts)? Have you poured any old fluid out to see what it looks like? If its a steet car, what the hay.. But be aware, the J converters are alot of verter to run on the street. We have never run one other than down the 1/4 mile. I have heard they build heat quickly and not the good choice for a "driver".
© 2024 Moparts Forums