Moparts

Polishing Valve Cover?

Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 04:18 AM

Who would you guys recommend to polish a set of aluminum valve covers? I would like to get my fabricated covers polished.
Thanks for any and all info
Kevin
How big of a job is it to do it yourself?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 06:14 AM

I bought a cheap 3/4 Hp Harbor Frieght bench buffer , I wish that I had bought a better one now like a Baldor or Central brand bench buffer I bought some polishing compound and applied it to the wheels and followed the instructions for the compound and start buffing the sides of a set of cast M/T BB valve covers, they shine now Buy a book on polishing and think about what you want to do,take your time and look at the results Do you want the welded seams to shine If so grind and sand them down and then polish them and go from there
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 11:52 AM

It's a 5 minute job by hand per valve cover. Use any kind of metal polish or wheel polish. You don't even have to take them off. Use your hands...might break a sweat.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 11:58 AM

Polish whaaaat?

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 12:28 PM

I have mag valve covers on my hemi, they need to be polished every 3rd day. They have been polished hundreds of times.

Nice looking peice of hardware you have there!!
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 04:20 PM

I would not grind the welds smooth,if a good weld no problem,but they can be thin spots in the weld as well as pin holes!Even the best of welders,welding all day long tend to get a little slack at times,and the robot welders that a lot of the bigger companies use and even some of the smaller ones are slack all the time.

PS Even you when grinding could take just a little to much off!
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 10:24 PM

Depending on the finish, it could be a big job. Send them to me, i'll make them look like chrome.

Attached picture 7849815-000_0001.jpg
Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/12/13 11:17 PM

Quote:

Depending on the finish, it could be a big job. Send them to me, i'll make them look like chrome.

So when do you want them and that's what I want them to look like.
Kevin
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 02:45 AM

Had mine done by the local wheel fix it guy

Attached picture 7850190-IMG_5403.JPG
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 02:55 AM

Quote:

I'm polishing a set of centerline wheels that were bead blasted and painted,yuck. Actually "polishing" them is way down the list of steps to bring them back.Lot's of work if you want it done correctly.

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm polishing a set of centerline wheels that were bead blasted and painted,yuck. Actually "polishing" them is way down the list of steps to bring them back.Lot's of work if you want it done correctly.

I don't see how they can be brought back if they were bead blasted.

Polishing stuff is really easy and very rewarding. It can be done by hand or you can invest a small amount of money and buy a cotton buff to put on yout drill. Valve covers are one of the easiest things to polish imo.

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 06:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see how they can be brought back if they were bead blasted.

Polishing stuff is really easy and very rewarding. It can be done by hand or you can invest a small amount of money and buy a cotton buff to put on yout drill. Valve covers are one of the easiest things to polish imo.

Polishing an already polished surface that needs little to to brought back to acceptable(for most) is easy. That's not the case when an item has either a finish(brushed,glass beaded,pits,scratches,etc)there is a BIG difference in the process needed to refinish(not polish) a surface in other conditions. Yes, refinishing wheels that have been glass bead blasted is NOT a first timer deal and if I didn't have 20plus years refinishing metals I'd be much better off starting with a new set of wheels. I'll have 8 hours or a bit more in doing 4 wheels. The first step is not whipping out the polish,it's looking the item over to decide the best first step.

Attached picture 7850735-wheels005.jpg
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 06:18 PM

I had polished up my valve covers. Lots of work but looked awesome. That lasted less then one year. The were a major problem pain to keep nice. They are now powder coated.

That being said, I still wanted the polished look on some parts. Polished my air tube and air bonnet. I then had them powder coated clear over top. They have stayed very nice, and I would highly recommend it.

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 06:20 PM

pic 1

Attached picture 7850744-SavoyEnginesmall.jpg

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 06:23 PM

Powder Coated Valve Covers
Clear Powder Coated Air Tube/Hat

Attached picture 7850746-PolishedEngine.jpg

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 11:20 PM

Yep,any uncoated aluminum is going to require work to keep up. Your engine looks great,just don't do the exterior to match.

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/13/13 11:38 PM

LOL... no worries... outside of the car is safe.
Posted By: slax69gts

Re: Polishing Valve Cover? - 09/14/13 02:29 PM

last year i picked up for cheap a set of alu finned cal customs that were pitted. by hand and time i used 220 grit to smooth them out then finished them with green scotch brite pad and sealed with carnuba wax. since my 470 has mostly alu components i needed some color up top so i painted inside the fins street hemi orange to match the block. they look great.
© 2024 Moparts Forums