Moparts

Oil restriction question

Posted By: 340B5

Oil restriction question - 09/10/13 04:05 PM

How much in terms of HP and quicker rpm does restricting oil drainback in the lifter galley gain?
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Oil restriction question - 09/11/13 09:02 PM

Trying to figure out why you'd do this - to reduce windage? Would be neat if there's a way to direct the oil from the drain back holes and shield it from being affected by the crank vortex, but in general I'd think you would not want to restrict oil in the lifter galley. Whatever you can do to get it back downstairs to the bottom of the pan the quickest way possible would be what you want. What's the theory on restricting it?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Oil restriction question - 09/12/13 12:35 AM

There is some power to be gained there but it isn't a ton. Probably single digits.
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Oil restriction question - 09/12/13 12:39 AM

Quote:

There is some power to be gained there but it isn't a ton. Probably single digits.

....and with the thought of FRYING the valve springs ?... no thanks ..
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Oil restriction question - 09/12/13 02:59 AM

Quote:

That's what I thought. I'd just as soon be happy knowing all the parts are getting oil. Maybee if the engine turned 9000rpm, carefull restriction might be worthwile.

Sixpack; yeah it's for windage.

MrFiberglass; I like lots of oil cooling the valvesprings too.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Oil restriction question - 09/12/13 03:09 AM

Quote:

Trying to figure out why you'd do this - to reduce windage? Would be neat if there's a way to direct the oil from the drain back holes and shield it from being affected by the crank vortex, but in general I'd think you would not want to restrict oil in the lifter galley. Whatever you can do to get it back downstairs to the bottom of the pan the quickest way possible would be what you want. What's the theory on restricting it?

Look at the BES engine masters late Hemi. It has tubes running down from the valley area into the pan. Very ingenius.
Doug
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Oil restriction question - 09/12/13 01:09 PM

My W2 engine had this. The head work was already done. They were done by Wayne County and were full of epoxy around the pushrods and all with external drainbacks. The lifter galley was blocked with only the drainbacks at the front and rear.

Leon
© 2024 Moparts Forums