Moparts

A SBC racer with a 904 trans .....

Posted By: dOc !

A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/06/13 10:43 PM

very iNtErEsTiNg .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-ELIM...=item4ac92279cf
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/06/13 11:02 PM

904's were installed behind 4 cyl Iron Duke Pontiac motors that went into Jeep mail trucks. A few Chevy Super Stock racers use 904's..and the above combo made them legal.
Posted By: RV2

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/06/13 11:04 PM

There is a local guy that runs some Chevy in whatever class and it runs a 904
Posted By: fishy340

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 12:01 AM

Thats been done for,i know personally atleast 15 yrs or so.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 12:39 AM

well you have been looking for a light car for a while, moparts want adds are full of them. when you going to buy one?
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 12:48 AM

heres a pic of the case we done some time ago,
the problem is, like most 904's, is keeping the inter band alive, these cases have the small 2 1/8" dia front servo from memory (late has like 2 3/8")

Posted By: cudadoug

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 01:06 AM

Comp has many cars with the 904 pro flite.

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 02:58 AM

Quote:

well you have been looking for a light car for a while, moparts want adds are full of them. when you going to buy one?

You talkin to me Qt?

.....and to others .... If this is the hot setup ....why do most here talk about those chebby PG's ?

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 08:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You talkin to me Qt?

.....and to others .... If this is the hot setup ....why do most here talk about those chebby PG's ?

because PG's are more consistent for bracket racers.

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 08:51 AM

.....sounds like some of those bracket racin are not doing their 60-foot homework then .....
Posted By: goldmember

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 09:01 AM

Quote:

.....sounds like some of those bracket racin are not doing their 60-foot homework then .....

LOL keep guessing.Lot's of factors and most you will not grasp.

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 09:05 AM

If that is not spot on .... Then what is it ?
Posted By: goldmember

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 09:12 AM

Correct!

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 09:18 AM

Come on mr xpert .... Show us your vast drag racing experince.

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 09:53 AM

what the heck is there to show?
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 09:56 AM

Comp/SS and brackets/super comp/gas/street: two COMPLETELY different mind sets. Comp guys are trying to optimize 60' numbers. Bracket guys could care less how quick the car is in 60'...as long as it repeats every run.

Also the set ups are 180 degrees apart. Comp cars for the most part are small cubic inches and need the low gear...

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 10:19 AM

Quote:

Show ? ......like what Doug 'splained ! ... And I "hear" him on most of what he says .... But to say that a bracket racer wants a slower car ....when he could have a quicker car if they did their homework better ... I do not buy that.

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 10:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Show ? ......like what Doug 'splained ! ... And I "hear" him on most of what he says .... But to say that a bracket racer wants a slower car ....when he could have a quicker car if they did their homework better ... I do not buy that.

how many times do we have to tell you? a bracket racer doesn't care about the extra .1 consistency is more important. thats what wins races......

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 10:35 AM

If all we were talking about was a tenth .....ok. ... but there is more than that in the diffs between the two properly-working combos....

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 11:34 AM

Quote:

If all we were talking about was a tenth .....ok. ... but there is more than that in the diffs between the two properly-working combos....

not really if both are optimized. I have done both.
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Proflite will be faster even with optimized combos and yes I have done both as well. There is also a well known SS/AM car which made the change and gains were more in the range of 0.15. This in a low 8 second ride which was well sorted out with a glide.

Re: A SBC racer with a 904 trans ..... - 09/07/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Proflite will be faster even with optimized combos and yes I have done both as well. There is also a well known SS/AM car which made the change and gains were more in the range of 0.15. This in a low 8 second ride which was well sorted out with a glide.

that sounds about right. we went in the other direction though. from a 727 to a glide. car didn't lose a whole lot. a 904 would have been a tick faster.
© 2024 Moparts Forums