Moparts

Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget?

Posted By: theraif

Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 10:14 AM

what is that like 4 races

""""The Westcott family, and especially Charlie Jr., have been the dominant players in the SS/AH class for almost two decades and he just about owns the annual Indy Hemi Challenge. Although he didn’t win this year, he had a “For Sale” sign on his Cuda and he told a DRO reporter that he was trying to put together a program to go NHRA Pro Stock racing on a budget.

He has already started working on a 500-inch Ford Hemi Pro Stock engine and is working hard to get the rest of the components for a Pro Stock effort. [09/03/13]"""""""
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 10:53 AM

boy he is in for a shock, budget and pro stock shouldn't be in the same sentence. be lucky to qualify.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 11:08 AM

P/S won't be a whole lot pricier than a top tier AH car.

Charlie's budget is probably a lot bigger than most peoples.

Interesting that he is going Ford. I bet that stuff can be bought a lot cheaper than Mopar since Ford pulled the plug.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 02:31 PM

The valve spring budget is more than they spend on thier AH cars all year. Cagnassi says the per race budget for a top tier team is 100,000. They pay 40,000 w/ stickers. This is why it is dying out. W/O sponsors it can't be done.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 02:33 PM

Dont ever count out Charlie Wescott for anything!
The guy out works just about everyone. He may not have the budget of the others, but he will get the most out of anything he touches. I hope he does move forward and try it.

He and his Dad have experience in Comp, so it wont be a giant surprise to him I dont think, and I wouldnt be surprised if he gets a few associate sponsorships at least. I hope he goes for it. He would also add a little old school excitement to the current blend of drivers.
Posted By: lowflyingdart

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 05:28 PM

I wonder if he will paint a Bowtie on the roof of his Ford like he did on the Cuda?
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 05:33 PM

He'll probably put a Saub emblem or something on it.... ...you know the story behind that right?
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 05:44 PM

How about a Toyota emblem! ...but upside down, of course.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 05:58 PM

If you change the color of the valve covers..it becomes a Mopar99 Hemi....
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 06:28 PM

In Pro Stock, he can machine into the valve cover bolt hole
Posted By: Duner

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 07:40 PM

Since the Fords have had a tough time making the fields WITH factory help - how good of a chance will an independent have at making the field with a Ford? Seems like they are taking an uphill road from the start.... but then again, I don't claim to know ANYTHING about Pro-Stock other than what they show on TV. Somebody clue me in!
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/04/13 10:40 PM

Quote:

The valve spring budget is more than they spend on thier AH cars all year. Cagnassi says the per race budget for a top tier team is 100,000. They pay 40,000 w/ stickers. This is why it is dying out. W/O sponsors it can't be done.

That's because of Gag-nassi's ego and payroll. Hired help everywhere from the driver to the crew chief, plane tickets/car rentals all around and how many hospitality trailers???

Morgan has said repeatedly that he gets no help from Ford other than they "make the blocks and heads and let us copy the body panels." So I can't imagine Ford's pulling out of the Pro (really just F/C) classes has anything to do with it.

I for one, would LOVE to see a "budget" P/S car get out there and qualify out of a toter home and stacker trailer! I'd be his/her biggest fan..regardless of who it is!

I'd bet you could buy a P/S chassis barely used for the same as a pre-owned AH roller. Are the motor parts REALLY more expensive...especially when you're as capable at building stuff like the Wescott's are?? The dyno costs are the same no matter what air pump is on it, right?? Trans costs are probably the same. Clutches will be more expensive. You can't tell me that the valve springs costs are more in P/S car. Both engines see 10K RRM and most are all using PAC springs already...

Part for part, hour for hour on the dyno, test run to test run are equal cost I'd bet.

Now, if you want to chase the top 10 countdown and run all 23 NHRA races, that's a WHOLE nother conversation...
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 02:06 AM

I have heard those numbers form others. PS cars eat valve springs. They are over 1" lift and spin over 11,000 rpm. The cam profiles are extremely violent. You have to have a crew. Two guys can't make a 45 minute turn around. Track testing will consume an easy 100,000 a year. Costs about a grand a run. Morgan recently said his whole budget is about what Anderson/Line spend on valve springs. I've known people that have gone from Comp to PS. On paper it did not seem that far apart but the reality was a different smoke.
Posted By: BOSSHEMI

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 02:44 AM

I have often wondered why Warren Johnson hasn't put Charlie in his car. Hardwork and dedication will win out. If Charlie has his mind set on it, he will be successful in NHRA Pro Stock. His SS/AH car is serviced like a Pro Stocker between rounds already.
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 03:30 AM

I have no idea if it'll happen or how it will turn out.

I do know if he tries it I'll be rooting for them.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 03:37 AM

pro stock on a budget in a ford sounds funny to me
Posted By: Headhunter22

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 04:32 AM

Thank god someone still has initiative...
Posted By: 300by500

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 05:36 AM

Know how to make a small fortune racing?

Start with a large fortune.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 06:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I for one, would LOVE to see a "budget" P/S car get out there and qualify out of a toter home and stacker trailer! I'd be his/her biggest fan..regardless of who it is!

You obviously have not seen Matt Harfords rig. He jumped frm Comp to PS thi syear. Still using the small trailer and truck he has had for years. He IS qualifying at most events and is a great guy to boot. Plus he runs a MOPAR...Root for the little guy

Mark Wolfe would be another example of someone who tried to transition from Comp to PS. In fact he woudl run division stuff in the same car he used in Pro Stock. But he did have the nice rig and multiple cars and this year hung up his PS operation. He was one of the Mustangs.

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 06:41 AM

I took a pic at Indy of the Karamasines crew in their Top Fuel "hauler" as they sorted through rods, looking for good ones.

Here's to the Davids who take on the Goliaths!

Attached picture 7840255-20130831_105217.jpg

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 06:43 AM

I took a few pics at Indy of the Karamasines crew in their Top Fuel "hauler" as they sorted through rods, looking for good ones. Too big to post here, but here's to the Davids who take on the Goliaths!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 07:37 AM

The amount of time, money, and work it takes to be at the top of AH is probably not much different than what it will take to have a car that will qualify in P/S.

The AH cars have been termed Pro Stockers in a '68 body. Not quite accurate, but not that far off.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Westcott family Pro Stock racing on a budget? - 09/05/13 05:36 PM

If anyone can do it is Wescott.

He maintains not one, buttwo AH cars for comp.. Have you ever seen him in the pits? The guy is a mad man.. I can see the Ford thing as well. He has been doing Henson's mustangs motors and R&D for awhile now.

I hope he does do it and succeeds!!

Casey
© 2024 Moparts Forums