Moparts

Meth injection..who runs it?

Posted By: Hot 340

Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:13 PM

Looking for info on meth injection. Where is methanol acquired? Cost effective? How much is used per gallon of gasoline roughly? How about suggested kits? We are going to be putting a new bullet in my brother's car soon and wondering about this option for a high comprsssion street shortblock we have laying here for it. Sorry for all the questions..I know nothing about it.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

Looking for info on meth injection. Where is methanol acquired? Cost effective? How much is used per gallon of gasoline roughly? How about suggested kits? We are going to be putting a new bullet in my brother's car soon and wondering about this option for a high comprsssion street shortblock we have laying here for it. Sorry for all the questions..I know nothing about it.

For a street build I would run E-85... if its in your
area... most of the time its way easier to get...
do you plan on driving it in cold weather

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

For a street build I would run E-85... if its in your
area... most of the time its way easier to get...
do you plan on driving it in cold weather

E85 is unfortunately out of the question right now as no pumps close by. As for cold driving, maybe some cool fall weather but no winter driving ect..

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:41 PM

E85 is unfortunately out of the question right now as no pumps close by. As for cold driving, maybe some cool fall weather but no winter driving ect..

In cool/cold weather the alky type fuels dont like to
fire up(basically below 45*) so a gas system is used
to get it fired and get a bit of temp into the engine
then change over to the alky.... just as a rule of thumb
you use 2X the amount for alky that you did for gas..
you might want to look at Rons Toilet as a site for info
and part... they sell lots of injection stuff
http://www.ronsfuel.com/killerrons.cfm
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:43 PM

Check out snow performance.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

In cool/cold weather the alky type fuels dont like to
fire up(basically below 45*) so a gas system is used
to get it fired and get a bit of temp into the engine
then change over to the alky.... just as a rule of thumb
you use 2X the amount for alky that you did for gas..
you might want to look at Rons Toilet as a site for info
and part... they sell lots of injection stuff
http://www.ronsfuel.com/killerrons.cfm

So Im guessing by your wording its not a system which supplements a standard gasoline system while running..which is what I was thinking it was.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:50 PM

I have been looking at the AIS & Snow systems.Just looks too good to be true

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 02:55 PM

So Im guessing by your wording its not a system which supplements a standard gasoline system while running..which is what I was thinking it was.

Meth on the street isnt what I call street friendly
but it can work... but not with a stock fuel system..
you would really need a new tank, lines, pump and
then the injection itself(throttle body or injector
type system)... then getting meth on the street isnt
gonna happen.. that would be harder to get than E-85
Posted By: mshred

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 03:47 PM

Buddy of mine runs meth injection on his 89 blown mustang. His system is from devilsown performance- about half the cost of snow performance, same quality, and I believe more adjustability. He hardly goes through any of it as you program when you want it to come in. I can't see you needing high amounts of it even in a high compression street car unless you are giving it a lot. For just cruising around, I would assume pump gas with the right camshaft to bleed off the compression would work ok

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 03:54 PM

Quote:

Are you talking about a ADDED system so he can run
gas then spray in meth to cool the intake charge
and add octane... OR a complete meth injection system
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 03:54 PM

I'm running the snow performance meth/H2O kit. 11.2:1 440-6, no issues. I run 93 timing is set at 37* and I have no issues. Mine runs through a plate under the primary carb and it activated when the vaccum drops to 0...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He is talking about the use of a water and meth type kit Mike.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 04:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He is talking about the use of a water and meth type kit Mike.

Yes, im talking about the add on kits...sorry.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

I'm running the snow performance meth/H2O kit. 11.2:1 440-6, no issues. I run 93 timing is set at 37* and I have no issues. Mine runs through a plate under the primary carb and it activated when the vaccum drops to 0...

How much of it does it use per gallon of gas and is it hard to get?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 06:55 PM

Quote:

That's what I run with my blower motor. IMO, one of the best systems out there. Lots of options to choose from and very tunable for almost any application.

Attached picture 7836588-blrmtr1.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can run wiper fluid in the kit and they last quite awhile apparently.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It doesn't usde much at all, maybe 2.5"'s a day at the track. And it's washer fluid... pretty easy to find. It only fogs when the engine is under a load. I don't even "arm" it until I get to the track..or if I'm going to get on it.
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 09:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I run with my blower motor. IMO, one of the best systems out there. Lots of options to choose from and very tunable for almost any application.

kind of off topic, but are you using a 6 or 10 groove pulley system on your supercharger?
Posted By: 1974Cuda360

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 09:11 PM

I run meth in my supercharged 408. I am using a kit from AIS. A few year ago I was dyno testing the engine and there was a 70 HP difference when meth was used. I couldn't believe it. I actually bought the kit because it was easier to install than an intercooler. The added octane is also a big plus considering windshield washer fluid costs much less than race fuel.

Attached picture 7836801-DSC_0025.JPG

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/02/13 09:34 PM

Quote:

..... The added octane is also a big plus considering windshield washer fluid costs much less than race fuel.

ding ding ding WINNER....
Posted By: 1974Cuda360

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/03/13 12:33 AM

Both meth and an intercooler reduce air intake temperatures on force inducted engines, but only meth provides the extra octane increase.

Attached picture 7837060-IMG_3645.JPG

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/03/13 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

kind of off topic, but are you using a 6 or 10 groove pulley system on your supercharger?

8 groove.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/03/13 01:15 AM

to answer 1 of your questions,up to 20% of the fuel can be water meth and you figure that by how much hp you make.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/03/13 05:02 AM

Quote:

Couple things you need to understand about these systems. The main purpose to run a water/alcohol system is to keep your motor out of detonation, which will allow you to run high C/R ( or boost if your blown) and the necessary timing advance to make good power. The systems, by themselves, do not make power - IMO, despite some ridiculous claims - again IMO. Most run winter blend windshield solvent, which is usually around 30% alcohol. The rest is colored water. The "Snow" system in the pic I posted consists of ( from the drivers seat ) the reservoir bottle with a low level light to the right of the rad. The pump is located under the right side hood hinge. Control box is on the firewall to the left of the pump. It contains 2 adjustable pots. One controls when the pump turns on ( mine is set for 5 psi). The other pot controls at what psi the pump runs at full capacity. As the boost goes up, the pump speeds up to supply more fluid to the spray nozzle. To the left of the control box on the firewall is an inline solenoid to prevent the fluid from siphoning from the reservoir when the system is off. The red line exiting the solenoid goes to a 1" jet/ nozzle plate under the carb. System comes with 3 different size spray nozzles for additional tuning. You want to run the least amount of fluid necessary to keep your motor out of detonation. Hope this helps.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/04/13 01:02 AM

Sounds like a legit setup..wonder why it isnt more popular? Is it a new thing?

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/04/13 04:17 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a legit setup..wonder why it isnt more popular? Is it a new thing?

Not new. Also not cheap, but nether is building a blower motor - or blowing one up .

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/04/13 12:12 PM

The Snow kit has gone up in price. I think when I got mine 3 years ago it was only $250, now they are $300. Still if you race a lot, and usually use race gas, it will more than pay for itself in one year. And if you keep one piston from burning up, even better.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/04/13 05:02 PM

Because they are really for diesels.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/04/13 05:13 PM

FYI

Attached picture 7839325-dyno_chart-large_image-19.jpg
Posted By: challengermike

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/05/13 03:12 AM

Quote:

Because they are really for diesels.

Meth injection isn't only for diesels, The turbo buick guys have been running it forever. It just became popular lately because so many people are putting turbo's on everything.

You don't really use that much meth. I would go threw about 1 gallon of denatured alky in 6 months, That was on a 86 t type running 11.70s that was raced and street driven a lot. It was also an older SCM non progressive kit. The only problem I have with running it was 1 time on a pass the pump stopped working which caused the head gaskets to blow. So after that I started mixing in some race gas just incase.
Posted By: Bolig

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/05/13 02:53 PM

Guys, I just spent a couple days with Matt Snow at his shop. He installed a unit on a fairly mild 440 6 BBL, and I must say, it did make a difference. I can't give out too much information yet, as we're working on an article about it for the February issue. Let's just say, it allowed us to increase timing (42-degree total), and horsepower. Keep in mind, this could be considered a fairly mild 440. The results will probably be exponential depending on the engine combination.

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/05/13 02:57 PM

Quote:

Guys, I just spent a couple days with Matt Snow at his shop. He installed a unit on a fairly mild 440 6 BBL, and I must say, it did make a difference. I can't give out too much information yet, as we're working on an article about it for the February issue. Let's just say, it allowed us to increase timing (42-degree total), and horsepower. Keep in mind, this could be considered a fairly mild 440. The results will probably be exponential depending on the engine combination.

I noticed it as well. I used my butt duno, but I can say I have no issues at 11.2:1 37* full advance in early (2000). Haven't done it at the track on a full pass but I have done a few short bursts w/ and w/o and you can feel the extra umph.
Bolig how did you plum yours? This is how I ran mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYw2q7igDGs
Posted By: Bolig

Re: Meth injection..who runs it? - 09/06/13 05:44 PM

Without getting to detailed,the tank is mounted to the radiator support on the passenger's side, and the pump is underneath the tank. From there, the two nozzles are mounted under the Six Pack air cleaner base, and they spray into the air cleaner area when needed. The vacuum then sucks the meth/water mix into the carburetors.
© 2024 Moparts Forums