Moparts

raised venturis on dominator

Posted By: mopar dave

raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 01:56 AM

does the lengthen venture on the dominators(quick fuel) improve performance at all?
Posted By: LA360

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 02:00 AM

I have often wondered the same thing. My friend has used Quick Fuel carbs a lot, I should ask him.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 02:07 AM

The new Holley Ultra 3 Dominators are 5/16 taller according to their add...So now you have two companies doing it....They just don't look like stub stacks like the QF carbs do.

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 02:14 AM

qf has a new dominator that looks badazz.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Quick-Fuel-BD-QFX...OB+w~~60_12.JPG
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 02:38 AM

Holley had the raised venturi carbs years ago and now they have a blended radius at the top and there is a reason for that. The raised rings at the top do not flow near as well as the blended radius. It makes the air flow turbulent.

Monte
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 02:52 AM

Damn good to see you Monte!

We'll be testing the new Holley Gen3 1050 along with a QF 1050 on a 540 inch BB Mopar in the next couple of weeks. I'll post the info when I have it.
I'm expecting it to be kinda close between the 2 but you never know!
Posted By: rebel

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 05:20 AM

Quote:

Holley had the raised venturi carbs years ago and now they have a blended radius at the top and there is a reason for that. The raised rings at the top do not flow near as well as the blended radius. It makes the air flow turbulent.

Monte

is this what you are talking about?

Attached picture 7835982-2012-11-1521.40.55.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 05:31 AM

I dunno, I think I am still going with the SV1 this winter. I think it will have more throttle response and drive better..

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 03:27 PM

no, check out the linc I posted.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Quick-Fuel-BD-QFX...OB+w~~60_12.JPG
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

is this what you are talking about?

I think this is what he's talking about Rebel.
Brian

Attached picture 7836282-Brian'sCarPartsForsale002.JPG

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 03:38 PM

yes,thats what I'm talkin about. have you tried any back to back runs with a smooth top vs the raised venture like the one in your pic?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 03:39 PM

I never cared for the vertical wall on the inlet..
when I use to flow the carbs or air cleaners we always
put a "ideal entry"(basically a velocity stack) on
them for a smooth entrance... and if we didnt use it
we would see a air flow difference(always less)..
this is what I have mounted in my scoop

Attached picture 7836289-IdealEntry001.jpg
Posted By: fbs63

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 03:53 PM

From what I understand and have been told the purpose is to get the boosters lower in the throttle bore to increase the signal. In turn it atomizes the fuel better. Take a look at a Dam-Best billet carb and see how tall the body is.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

yes,thats what I'm talkin about. have you tried any back to back runs with a smooth top vs the raised venture like the one in your pic?

No, I haven't tried them back to back. We made 3 dyno pulls with it, and put it back in the box. (not on my engine) Health reasons and the weather here (RAIN) have kept me from testing it against my other 1050 Holley. I actually have this carb for sale in the Moparts adds now. I will make someone a deal on it. The Black Diamond finnish looks Killer though.

Brian

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 04:04 PM

Quote:

From what I understand and have been told the purpose is to get the boosters lower in the throttle bore to increase the signal. In turn it atomizes the fuel better. Take a look at a Dam-Best billet carb and see how tall the body is.

Its true that if you move the booster down in the
faster air flow its sees a stronger signal... but to
bandage it with a vertical wall isnt helping the entry
air flow... so if the carb were built taller with
the boosters down in and with a smooth radius on
top then it would be great... but most people tend
to run out of room to the hood.... thats why the old
long stacks worked (gave the carb a tall entry to
speed up the air)

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 04:08 PM

http://www.r2cperformance.com/assets/1/Products/800x600/P1010016.JPG
this is what I now use.

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 04:34 PM

Quote:

http://www.r2cperformance.com/assets/1/Products/800x600/P1010016.JPG
this is what I now use.

I dont like a drop base on a race car... the air has
to change directions when its entering the filter..
most of the filter is lower than the top of the base
so it has to go up then turn to head into the carb

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 04:41 PM

yeah, I know Mike,but its the only way I get a filter under the hood. makes a difference what lid you use also. must be a bubble top lid like the moroso. not sure how i'll fit a dominator with filter under there. may have to settle on the race demon 1025rs.

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 04:43 PM

something R2C told me was in their testing of air cleaners,filters as well as others,that the worst was the filter lids. just an fyi.

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 05:02 PM

Quote:

something R2C told me was in their testing of air cleaners,filters as well as others,that the worst was the filter lids. just an fyi.

Yeah I heard that the lids are bad also.... but what
do I have... a filter lid(the whole filter set up was
cheap so I got it)... I'm still planning on getting
a lid.. to my understanding and through testting in
the past... with the 2 different air flow entrances
they crash into each other and cause turbulence in
the flow.... air... like water want to be nice and
smooth without turns or obstacles
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 05:16 PM

Even though our parent company has bought Quick Fuel and they and Holley operate under the same umbrella, it is still two different companies. That said, we(Holley) have a million dollar flow stand and use it, they don't. There is a reason all our new carbs have a blended inlet and not the stubs sticking up.

And to the person who thinks an SV-1 will drive better......you better think hard about that. That large throttle blade is like a switch. It only has to move a small amount to introduce a huge volume of air. A carb can NOT cover that sudden change of A/F ratio unless is has enough fuel in it already down low to cover it. Those tend to be extremely rich down low to cover that transition and they won't work otherwise

Monte
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

yeah, I know Mike,but its the only way I get a filter under the hood. makes a difference what lid you use also. must be a bubble top lid like the moroso. not sure how i'll fit a dominator with filter under there. may have to settle on the race demon 1025rs.

Was thinking about this today...............I made a carbon fiber flat lid since it was light but am now thinking that was a bad idea. So, what is the best lid?

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 05:46 PM

a dome or bubble top lid is best with drop base air cleaners from what i'v found. according to R2C flat lids and filter lids don't flow right. the R2C lid or the moroso dome lids work good.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 05:48 PM

What a standard flat base..........?

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 06:39 PM

not sure what works best with flat base as all my discussions with R2C was about drop bases and best lids to use. i don't think they offer a flat base air cleaner.

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 06:43 PM

If I can get enough surface area, I plan on putting
a screen in the top cover and closing off the side
with a piece of plastic IF I have the room from the
hood(cowl) and the filter top.. it may not work but
I want to test it

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 09/02/13 06:47 PM

i have one of those air bells like you posted and at one time i was gonna stretch some screen over it and run without a filter,but if i ever had a carb fire it would burn a hole in mt glass hood. i'm happy with the drop base i'm using now.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 11/03/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

Damn good to see you Monte!

We'll be testing the new Holley Gen3 1050 along with a QF 1050 on a 540 inch BB Mopar in the next couple of weeks. I'll post the info when I have it.
I'm expecting it to be kinda close between the 2 but you never know!

Any test results to share?
I am thinking about putting a Dominator on my Hemi.

Mark
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 11/03/13 04:47 AM

Quote:

I dyno tested two different motors with the K&N Extreme filter lids, a 4150 carb. and a 4500 carb. on a different motor, both stock stroke 440 with 440 size intake port heads. Both motors lost 8 HP at or close to peak HP at around 6000 RPM The Dominator carb. motor ran .03 ET quicker and .2 MPH faster at the track with the Extreme lid on compared to two A-B-A test on two different days We don't race dynos, do we I let the other racer with the 4150 carb. motor know what we found on the bracket car I drove and they ended picking up a little bit more ET and MPH than we did when they put thier Extreme lid on thier car at the track
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: raised venturis on dominator - 11/03/13 01:26 PM

Quote:

I dunno, I think I am still going with the SV1 this winter. I think it will have more throttle response and drive better..

And that's the exact complaint that my three friends who tried them. Two big blocks and one small block all said idle nice good at full throttle junk anywhere in between. Full race car fine any dual purpose car not really that good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums