Moparts

Molnar technologies SB Crank *DELETED*

Posted By: Racebuddy

Molnar technologies SB Crank *DELETED* - 08/30/13 04:30 PM

Post deleted by Racebuddy
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/30/13 05:28 PM

Make sure you have the rods oriented correctly on the crank. (chamfer side of rod to cheek of crank) You wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake if indeed that's the only problem. If you reverse them they won't fit. What are the measurements of the rods?
I both sell and use the Molnar cranks and rods and have never had an issue with anything I've gotten from him.
Posted By: moper

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/30/13 05:31 PM

Also - what bearings are you using? Do they need to be the narrow ones for the larger chamfer?
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/30/13 05:32 PM

First I've heard of it. Molnar was started by the same guy who also started and then sold K1. Is it possible that the K1 rods you had on the Eagle crank were "Chevy" rods. If so and if the new crank was ground for Chrysler rods that would explain it since Chevy rods are just a bit wider. Hope you get it figured out.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/30/13 05:59 PM

I had one of my cranks ground for chevy rods(most
of mine are that way) but the guy cut the diameter
but didnt cut the width proper.... when I went to put
both rods on they wouldnt fit... I took it back and
showed him the problem.. he said why not cut the rods..
I said BS.. do the job right... after a bit of hassling
he finally agreed and cut it with the proper radius

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/30/13 10:00 PM

I called Molnar tech and Tom was out on vacation. He was nice enough to call me though an hour later to help.

The K-1 rods measure .925 wide.
A stock Chevy rod measures .945 wide. So the smallest width rod is still too big.

Rods assembled at the Race Shop and bearings installed correctly.

its not the end of the world but a serious downer when I was hoping to have set that motor in the racecar tomorrow.

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/30/13 10:01 PM

Have a set of Eagle H-Beams here and they won't fit either.

Just laying the Eagle crank down and looking at the rod throws, there is a visual difference right off the bat.

just putting the rod caps and bearings on the cranks, the caps fit the Eagle perfectly with about .015 clearance. the Molnar crank won't let the two caps sit beside each other. It will require grinding at the crank shop.

The Molnar is a beautiful piece and I am sure it is up to the task once we get her straightened out.

I have a long history throughout the racing world of always having that " oddball, fluke type deal " on something.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/31/13 01:14 AM

Did Tom offer to help make it right? I have used cranks since day one with Tom, and he has always been more than fair. Certainly a fluke, and I can assure you he isnt happy either. What course of action did he suggest?

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/31/13 02:17 AM

He is on a rare vacation and is certainly trying to help me.

Not much can be done but grind it

just happy to find out the problem and have a solution to it
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/31/13 05:49 AM

He told me if there were ANY problems with a crank to send it back.
Posted By: 79410aspenrt

Re: Molnar technologies SB Crank - 08/31/13 04:31 PM

I have a 4.125" molnar crank in my 440". Very nice piece.
© 2024 Moparts Forums