Moparts

Affordable harmonic balancers

Posted By: ProSport

Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 01:54 AM

Which ones have you street guys had good luck with. My car may never see a track but I want something I don't have to worry about too much if I want to bang through a couple gears on the street. I've always ran ATI Super Dampers but there's no way I can afford that right now.

I don't have to have SFI but here is an SFI example for $124.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Dodge-383-...=item335c20840b

Summit has a Professional Products PowerForce for $82
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-80013/overview/make/dodge

Some others such as Summit brand, Pioneer, etc...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-...p;SortOrder=Asc

Mancini Pro-Street for $111
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/prostreet1.html

440Source for $90
http://store.440source.com/High-Strength-Steel-Damper-Chrome-plated-New/productinfo/200-1083/
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 01:57 AM

I use an SFI Pioneer. Except for the lousy chrome [ ? ] plating it's been a good buy.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 02:07 AM

I've been using the Pioneer SFI balancers for years on my small blocks. A quality product, no problems and look good!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 02:09 AM

I've been running the 440 source for about 5 years, no issues.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 02:09 AM

I use this one from Mancini the ......Pro Sport. Have it on two engines and its working good on both. And the belt pully's all line up in the stock location. Ron

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/prosport1.html

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 02:18 AM

Quote:

Which model are you using, the fluid damper or the high strength $90 damper?
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:07 AM

Stay away from the KMJ on on Ebay..it is a duplicate of the CAT balancer and is heavy as hell.

To me the 440 source and the Pioneer look the best and I would pick one of the 2.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:12 AM

I'm leaning towards the high strength 440Source, I don't really want to go with a fluid type damper.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:14 AM

I think that one would work just fine.I'm using a NOS Mopar balancer on mine,but would use the Source or Pioneer if it were me.
Posted By: notchbackcuda

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:31 AM

We've used the 440 Source fluidamper for years on a 499 stroker running 10.20 with no problems.

Attached picture 7823199-cuda_2013a.jpg
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:35 AM

mine has a CAT fluid style for 10 years now
Posted By: 383man

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:42 AM

I can tell you the Pro Sport one I bought from Mancini is made in Australia. And I have heard ones made there are usually very good. Ron
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The 90 buck unit, not a fluid damper.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:54 AM

Quote:

We've used the 440 Source fluidamper for years on a 499 stroker running 10.20 with no problems.

Good info, and nice Cuda!

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 03:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The 90 buck unit, not a fluid damper.

Ok thanks
Posted By: Joes66dart

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 04:20 AM

My engine builder recommended a Romac balancer. I have been running it 2 years now with no problems and its SFI approved.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 04:38 AM

My 451 has the Professional Products one Powerforce damper. Regularly sees 6500, Never had a problem with it.....
Posted By: therocks

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 04:46 AM

We run Summits better SFI dampers.Mine has been on at least 10 years the kids 4 years.My 440 sees 6700 all the time and the kids 413 got raced and street driven tons.Rocky

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

My 451 has the Professional Products one Powerforce damper. Regularly sees 6500, Never had a problem with it.....

I was waiting to hear if anyone has ran that one as it is VERY affordable. I would think it would be fine for a street cruiser.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/22/13 12:34 PM

We been running CAT sfi, for years no isuues,
We used to run BHJs they junk! spin on you.
Posted By: tobnHisglory

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 03:55 AM

Quote:

I'm leaning towards the high strength 440Source, I don't really want to go with a fluid type damper.

Just curious - Why don't you want to run a fluid style damper?

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 11:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just curious - Why don't you want to run a fluid style damper?

Lots of people use them with no problems, I've just heard too many bad stories over the years and I've seen too many broken motors with a Fluidampr on the front of it.
For what I'm using my motor for, I'd probably be ok with any kind of damper, just trying to weed out the bad ones such as the BHJ that was mentioned to be junk.

I do like the fact that the 440Source fluid damper is SFI certified in case I were to hit the track sometime down the road when the rearend and suspension are upgraded, way down the road.

http://store.440source.com/Fluid-damper-SFI-Certified-Chrome-New/productinfo/200-1023/
Posted By: Den300

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 11:39 AM

Quote:

mine has a CAT fluid style for 10 years now

+1
Posted By: rebel

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 12:06 PM

i used the Source Fluid Damper for a few years, thought it was good but my engine had issues with bolts coming loose all the time. an engine builder down here told me it'll be because of my fluid damper. so when money became available i bought a ATI Superdamper. surprisingly i don't have a loose nut n bolt problem anymore. also the Fluid damper was tight as hell to get on & off & yet on the crank snout under the damper i had fret marks. i had the crank polished & these marks removed. 4 seasons later when i stripped the motor for a freshen up, there were no marks under the ATI damper. i'm a firm believer in quality dampers now, nothing but ATI from now on.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 02:53 PM

run a stock one.
Posted By: dbran451

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 03:01 PM

Quote:

run a stock one.

I agree if this IS a street motor save the money and use a stock one

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 06:42 PM

Isn't the elastomer usually dry rotted on a stock one?
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 09:35 PM

Get a Pioneer or Powerbond for what you are doing and be done with it and have some peace of mind.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 09:40 PM

Quote:

... Pioneer or Powerbond...

x2; The SFI-approved versions from either are both manufactured by Powerbond, IIRC.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 09:46 PM

I have a used Fluidampr that I'm using, probably junk.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 10:00 PM

Professional Products here great bang for the buck

Rickster

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 10:08 PM

Quote:

Get a Pioneer or Powerbond for what you are doing and be done with it and have some peace of mind.

You mean Powerforce?

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 10:43 PM

No, Powerbond is a different company. Powerforce is a Proffessional Products like Rickster mentions.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/23/13 10:59 PM

Quote:

Theres still some out there in great shape. The one off my old 440 is in super shape, so its keeper.

You would need to find one off of a nuetral balanced motor though, 71 and before. So that might be a tough one to find, probably easier to just buy new.

But if you found a good one, I wouldnt hesitate to use it for what your doing.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/24/13 01:28 AM

I'd be curious to what brand balancer the people use that complain about loose torque converter bolts. Always seem to be some people have trouble with flex plates and loose converter bolts.
maybe

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/24/13 02:08 AM

Quote:

No, Powerbond is a different company. Powerforce is a Proffessional Products like Rickster mentions.

Ok thanks I'll look them up.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/24/13 02:10 AM

Quote:

I'd be curious to what brand balancer the people use that complain about loose torque converter bolts. Always seem to be some people have trouble with flex plates and loose converter bolts.
maybe

That is a very good point Jim. I've pitted next to guys that have to retorque their converter bolts after every pass.
Posted By: skrews

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/25/13 05:43 AM

I've seen a number of Professional Products dampers fail. Pioneer gets my vote for an economical damper.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/25/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

I've seen a number of Professional Products dampers fail. Pioneer gets my vote for an economical damper.

Same here. I know of a Moparts member's Professional Products that failed during dyno testing and have heard from a friend of one that was sh!t-canned by a machine shop when they found it was the source of their being unable to get a particular rotating assembly to balance properly.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/25/13 06:00 PM

Ok so I'm gonna pass on Professional Products and KMJ. I think I'm gonna go with the $90 440source with the high strength steel and enclosed elastomer.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/25/13 06:19 PM

FYI on the powerbond p/n:

PB1112-SS

Usually around $200 or a little more for the SFI unit.
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/25/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

FYI on the powerbond p/n:

PB1112-SS

Usually around $200 or a little more for the SFI unit.

If I'm spending $200, I'll spend the extra and go ATI. Pioneer for the cheapies.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/25/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had a ton of problems with professional. had 3 in a row spin on me they just kept replacing them for free but to much work if you are going buy way of china remember you get what you pay for. I think just use a stock one and save up your coin then you can buy a good one
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/26/13 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Theres still some out there in great shape. The one off my old 440 is in super shape, so its keeper.

How do you tell if the old factory stocker is in good shape?
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/26/13 03:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How do you tell if the old factory stocker is in good shape?

First, by a visual. There is a inner and outer steel hub. Between that is a 1/8" of rubber connection. Its that rubber connection that deteriorates and misaligns the two hubs making it junk.

Visually, if you can see cracks in that joint around its 360* perimiter, thats a bad sign. It doesnt it mean its bad, but its getting there.

On a good one, you wont see any cracks, like the one I have from 1970. The rubber looks fresh for its age.

On a bad one the rubber connection with cracks , you will even see the rubber pushing out or bulging out between the two steel hubs, that would be junk!

Another test, if you think you have a decent one, is , Does it Spin perfectly true on your engine, if it has a weeble wobble, then its junk also, no matter how well the rubber connection looks.

Ive got a few stockers here, and my 1970 one is in great shape while a 1973 externally balanced dampner is junk. It has dry rot, the rubber connection is pushing out in several places around its 360* perimiter.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/26/13 04:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I had a ton of problems with professional. had 3 in a row spin on me they just kept replacing them for free but to much work if you are going buy way of china remember you get what you pay for. I think just use a stock one and save up your coin then you can buy a good one

Words of wisdom spoken here. The two areas I see more customers make mistakes:

1) Cheap rocker gear
2) Cheap dampers

Both bite them in the az* almost everytime. They are not areas to compromise.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/26/13 04:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) Cheap rocker gear
2) Cheap dampers

GREAT advice Todd. Been there, done that and don't want to go back.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/26/13 05:19 AM

I really do agree about avoiding cheap Chinese parts....but when I was younger and broke I bought a CAT brand fluid style damper and have been running it for the last 10 years without issue.

I probably wouldn't buy one now....but I'm still running the one I have.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/27/13 01:56 AM

I also just remembered that I ran the Summit brand balancer on my DartSport for a couple years with no problems in the 10.20's.
I eventually upgraded to an SFI ATI Superdamper and some other things to run 9's.

I really like the black balancers with easy to read markings.
Lots of choices here, still un-decided.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/27/13 02:09 AM

It took me forever to find a photo of the Pioneer, does this photo look correct to you guys? Actually it can't be right judging by the pulley bolt holes, anyone have a photo? I can't go look at one at Summit as it has to be ordered.
Seems like Pioneer is the most affordable of the ones that you guys have mentioned as decent quality balancers. $113 at Summit.

http://autoplicity.com/products/425643-p...CFSJqMgodSm8Akw
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/27/13 02:10 AM

Just going to add my 2 Cents here. I had the factory balancer on my low deck 470 spin. I picked up a used damper (TCI Rattler) from this site for pretty cheap a few years ago, don't remember how much. I like it for a few reasons.

It is black and easy to rear.
It is marked all the way around, including every 90°.
It's design will not allow it to spin, ever.

There is a used ATI on EBAY now, but it has a chevy pattern hub. I would shop around for a good used one.

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/27/13 02:17 AM

I definitely wasn't leaning towards a stock one, I'm sure I'm gonna pound on this thing on the street every now and then.

My 9 second purple Dart had a TCI Rattler on it with no problems.
Posted By: 300by500

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/27/13 03:14 AM

Quote:

My engine builder recommended a Romac balancer. I have been running it 2 years now with no problems and its SFI approved.

Haven't fired my 498 with the Romac yet, but it looks like a well made piece and it fit well.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Affordable harmonic balancers - 08/27/13 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) Cheap rocker gear
2) Cheap dampers

THIS.............I`d save coin and get a good one if possible................kinda like rod bolts, rockers etc. These items take a beating and leave you crying when they let go.
© 2024 Moparts Forums