Moparts

TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex

Posted By: Gary Robbins

TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 04:11 PM

Was our first 275 drag radial race this past weekend...Was so looking forward to racing at this track so we could turn the car loose at a radial prepped track...WOW!!never been so disappointed as there was very little prep and was a one lane track

Finally got down the track on our third attempt and managed to qualify 3RD out of 14 with the only MOPAR in the field with a (5.05 @ 144mph) after shock adjustments,tightning up limiters and killing lots of power down low...Normal 60' times at this power level for us is 1.20-1.21 and could only manage 1.26-1.28 range !!!

We had lane choice for 1st rnd so we put a little more in it and won with a 5.02 @ 144mph...Good lane again for 2nd rnd and stayed pat,won the rnd with a 5.01 @ another 144mph(our best et an mph)but lost lane choice for the semis...Like dingleberries we didn't turn car down and spun about 100' out...So wouldn't ya know the other car spun in the so called good lane about 200' out and with me haven already given up it was too late to chase

All in all we're very happy with the car as we're in the middle on nitrous tune-up with 3 more levels left and lots of fine tuning to do...When we get it on a good track so we can run it down low the 60' should go somewhere in the teens and the et should be around high 4.80 to low 4.90 range at the 144mph we're running now with more left...If we want to start leanning on it we could run faster,but run the risk of hurting it and not racing !!!

Most think a MOPAR can't be competetive in the 275 world,but forget that very few run 4.50 to 4.60's which is always on killer tracks and not run every pass...The normal is more 4.70-4.80 range and we're knocking on the door with more power available

BTW...Did i mention that it's a STREET LEGAL MOPAR on 275 drag radials at 3250#
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 04:22 PM

Cool
Good luck
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 04:33 PM

Bet those Ford and Chevy guys thought you had a hemi. Lol Good going Gary you got brand xer's scratching their head now.
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 04:59 PM

good job man thats some unreal mph in the 1/8
Posted By: W8n2DustU

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 05:03 PM

Good job Gary! Are you going to No Mercy? If so, I'll be looking for you.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 05:17 PM

Congratulations on the weekend. That's an impressive outing when you take into account what's left in the car and the dirt track you were on
Posted By: fishy340

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 09:54 PM

Jet # 50 on order yet Gary ? Awesome work bud,it's awesome to see something other then a mustang w a chevy motor running x275 class.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 10:15 PM

Awesome to see somebody waving the Mopar flag in a series like that! Can't remember if you're still rockin a B1 combo or you went smallblock? Anyways I know you know how to get it done regardless.

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

Jet # 50 on order yet Gary ? Awesome work bud,it's awesome to see something other then a mustang w a chevy motor running x275 class.

Thanks for the compliments everyone !!!

Our system was flowed up to #56 jets and we have them all from there down...Have #44 in it now and really think i'm gonna draw the line at 48's as i'm not for sure we have the combustion chamber or cam to take full advantage of much more juice!!

I have a set of PSO head's on the shelf and after i max out this combo we'll get serious about this deal to see if we can play with the "big boys" as they are running #60+ jets with crazy trans & rear ratio's compared to us
Posted By: silverfish

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 10:58 PM

Quote:

Awesome to see somebody waving the Mopar flag in a series like that! Can't remember if you're still rockin a B1 combo or you went smallblock? Anyways I know you know how to get it done regardless.

588" with original B1 heads
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 10:59 PM

What is needed in a "nitrous chamber" since you brought it up? This is the 2nd time recently I've heard this statement.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 11:17 PM

Congrats on the strong showing. Sometimes you have to do the best ya can with what is handed to you.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 11:17 PM

Nice job especially knowing there`s more left in there........

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 11:43 PM

Quote:

What is needed in a "nitrous chamber" since you brought it up? This is the 2nd time recently I've heard this statement.

From what i know some of the top head guys in the country have developed some kind of softening of the chamber that allows more nitrous to be used along with being more efficant...All the top guys are having this process done !!
Posted By: fishy340

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/20/13 11:59 PM

Quote:

Tom Slawko or Charlie Buck 2 best at it IMO.They rework the chamber w certain degree slopes and angles..which in turn works real well w nos and helps ease the chances of detonation.Thats the English version,But it's a must when hitting a car hard.Gary that sounds smart,you'll know when it stops mph'ring lol.
Posted By: 506RR

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/21/13 12:00 AM

Definitely one of my favorite cars on here. Keep up the good work!
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/21/13 02:52 AM

Wish I had known you were coming....I would have ventured over there. Only 10 miles from my house.

They do a terrible job of prepping that track. Even for the 275 guys. Best I have seen there on their regular 275 nights is mid .80's or possibly a 4.82? High 4.90's and low 5.0's will make you game there most of the time.

Let me know if you venture this way again. I would love to see that fish in person.

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/21/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Wish I had known you were coming....I would have ventured over there. Only 10 miles from my house.

They do a terrible job of prepping that track. Even for the 275 guys. Best I have seen there on their regular 275 nights is mid .80's or possibly a 4.82? High 4.90's and low 5.0's will make you game there most of the time.

Let me know if you venture this way again. I would love to see that fish in person.

You are correct on et as a low 80 has been the fastest...This is also a #52 jet limit class and the fast guys can go faster with more spray...We're currently using 44's and really want to stay away from the big jets till we max out these's...Next race is at Redline then back to the motorplex and will try to remember to let ya know when going back there !!
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/21/13 05:00 PM

Hey Gary, any video on your outing you can post?...Awesome car, glad to see a Mopar getting ready to ruin some GM and Ford guys day!

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/21/13 11:16 PM

Quote:

Hey Gary, any video on your outing you can post?...Awesome car, glad to see a Mopar getting ready to ruin some GM and Ford guys day!

I'll try ,but technology challenged !!

This should be a pass from MMW at Indy with bars and there not on there anymore !!
web page
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/21/13 11:40 PM

Thanks Gary!,,very cool,nice and straight and hauling cheeks!
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/22/13 03:14 AM

Nice passes, are you on the mt pro? What do you think of that tire?
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/22/13 04:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct on et as a low 80 has been the fastest...This is also a #52 jet limit class and the fast guys can go faster with more spray...We're currently using 44's and really want to stay away from the big jets till we max out these's...Next race is at Redline then back to the motorplex and will try to remember to let ya know when going back there !!

Let me know. I will bring the Dart out to try for some 5.30's N/A.

I have buddies at work that run that series with a white turbo Mustang. They have been 4.86, but are normally in the 4.9's.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/22/13 01:53 PM

Congrats on the new best! Once you get to a good track you'll have your 4 sec timeslip I'm sure. That car is bada$$!

It sucks running on a bad track w/ radials. I spun and lost the final of a street car shootout last weekend.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/22/13 01:58 PM

I have buddies at work that run that series with a white turbo Mustang. They have been 4.86, but are normally in the 4.9's.

Heard you took a wild ride the other weekend, glad you and car came out ok.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/22/13 06:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brian, you need to bring that thing up to Norwalk and run 10.5!!

Casey
Posted By: silverfish

Re: TEX275 Race at Texas Motorplex - 08/22/13 08:07 PM

Quote:

Nice passes, are you on the mt pro? What do you think of that tire?

Yes we are on the M/T Pro 275 drag radial. So far we are really liking it. It's our first drag radial experience so we don't have any other radial to compare it with but compared to slicks we like it way better. It is much more stable down track. Our car always walked around on the top end and now it stays stuck and it a straight line all the way down. You can't hit them as hard off the line as we could our 28 x 10.5 slicks but we still like them better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums