Danger from the burnout box

Posted By: bigdad

Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 04:41 AM

Never do your burnout until the car in front is clear

If you can't wait. ffwd to :52 in

http://youtu.be/_gxxRVG7Fmk
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 04:47 AM

Wow...I bet track officials are totally denying any contribution to this!
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 04:49 AM

Bad day for both but the guy in the stang looks like he's gonna stage it after being rear ended
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 04:51 AM

I'm guessing that isn't covered in the drivers insurance policy
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 05:01 AM

Just a MORON doing a burnout when he shouldnt be...
bummer for the mustang
Posted By: skrews

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 07:37 AM

What kind of idiot can't notice a car in front of them.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:52 AM

If I was rear ended like that, I would have got out and beat the idiot to a pulp. There would not be enough safety guys to stop me....
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:59 AM

Doosh bag!
Posted By: toddd

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 12:18 PM

I was in the staging lanes probably 2 pairs behind the funny car when it fired up and saw the whole thing go down.

It was unbelievable, to say the least.

"apparently" the driver was unable to see the cars on the starting line because of the glare from the windshield.....but he could see his own cew man giving him the "OK" to start his burn out.

He had NO instruction from the official in the burn out area to start his burn out, some of us wonder IF he had the go ahead to even start his car.

From my car all I remember was....hearing the funny car start up and I thought that was "odd" , I look to the starting line and there is a bit of a delay with the clocks, next thing I hear is this motor revving , and I think ..."Who is doing their burnout...there are still cars on the line and no one is looking at the burn out box and then...this funny car comes flying out of no where and smashes in to the back of the Mustang.

It sure could've been a bad situation, and thank fully no one was seriously hurt. It could've ben a lot worse.

Todd
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 12:51 PM

I hope the driver/crew member took responsibility for their f-up. If not, I think I would take my Mustang and ram into their tow rig and trailer over and over. They're gonna pay one way or another!

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 01:23 PM

Nope, the Funny cars guys said...too bad apparently, and loaded up their crap and f'd off.

From what I'm told.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

Just a MORON doing a burnout when he shouldnt be...
bummer for the mustang

Regardless if a crew member gave him the go ahead sign or a track official did. You don'y go until the track ahead of you is clear - and you ( as the driver ) can see that it is clear. I'm always concerned about something coming off the car that is staged in front of me. Had it happen once with a driveshaft coming out of the car that was staged in front of me. He was barely out of the beams when it let go. Crap went everywhere. Some tracks will pull you in to the water box while the cars in front of you haven't left yet. I don't go there.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 05:15 PM

Wow thats a bummer ! Man everyone knows you never start your burnout until the cars on the line are gone and some tracks make you wait until the cars in front have gotten off the track and are on the return road. Ron
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 06:37 PM

So thats how they do it up in Canada eh?

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 07:25 PM

I don't think it's fair to "paint all " of us with the "Idiot" brush. Give me a break.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's fair to "paint all " of us with the "Idiot" brush. Give me a break.

We got more than our share south of the boarder.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 07:45 PM

Danger from the burnout box? Should be re-titled, "Sheer stupidity from the burnout box".
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 07:54 PM

I was wondering how long the Video would take to get all over the net.
Yes....as Toddd explained...it was the funny car crewman that gave the driver the burnout signal...NOT a track guy.
And...the FC crew packed up and did exactly that...F'd off and basically told the Mustang guy to pound sand.
Our track guys are experienced....obviously someone on the FC team was NOT. The incident resulted in one heck of a mess of oil, fuel, fibreglass, and VHT. When the nose exploded on the FC, all the fibreglass embedded in the VHT and the only way to get it off the track was to "wash" down that whole area. There were "shards" of fibreglass everywhere. Took an hour to clean up the mess but hat's off to the track crew 'cause the track bit even harder after that!!!
Alberni Drag Race guys and volunteers ROCK!! Too bad we got rained on for eliminations the next day.

And we really don't try to do it this way up here in Canada.....that was a bit of a below-the-belt blow. I certainly personally wouldn't say that if it had happened 200 miles south at Seattle....

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 08:07 PM

I'm just giving you a hard time

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 08:10 PM

OK.....I kinda thought so....but me being one to join a fight.... LOL
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 08:22 PM

can't fix stupid
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 08:25 PM

Superwrench, I just noticed I think you need a better fuel pump. Why are you only gaining 18 MPH in the second half. You should be easily gaining 24 MPH Thats most likly a fuel issue.

Re: Danger in the burnout box, I dont know what to say. But, theres more then one Dummy in that crew.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 08:33 PM

I think you're right. I'm only running 3/8" line too. Just did valve springs and that helped over last year when the car slowed to 118 and 11.teen's. Fuel pump is a 180 GPH Edelbrock.
I need $$$$$ and it just isn't there for this year.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 09:46 PM

Wow! Funny car guy wouldnt of got out of that track without SOME kind of payment, in full.
Posted By: topside

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:00 PM

Driver doing a burnout with cars staging ahead of him is an idiot. Crewman giving him the OK is an idiot. Where's the water box & starting line staff, who are usually making sure that kind of stupidity isn't allowed to happen?
I'm surprised the guy in the Mustang didn't get out and go after the moron; the guy deserved a beat-down, especially after loading up & leaving like weasels. I wouldn't be too happy with the starting-line guys, either.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:11 PM

It's been said that the guy at the head of the burnout boxes had his hand up to hold on the burnouts.....he had NOT turned to signal a burnout. The starting line guys have to give the signal to the burnout box...they had NOT...clearly a screw up from the FC team.

The Mustang driver went back to the pits to remove what was left of his taillights, straightend and secured the rear bumper and then dealt with a bent rim. He did come back to qualifying
Hope his neck wasn't too sore the next day....that was quite a punch.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:32 PM

:iagree with everyone, that crew is a bunch d-heads, a-holes, retards etc. They should pay for that dudes damages & be band from that track. Hell, they should be band every where they go. I can't beleive it.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:38 PM

If I'm the mustang guy, NO WAY those idiots get loaded up and leave without me going stupid on some of their equipment. Driver should have his license revoked! Driver and idiot that gave him the "go" sign should at the very least spend some time with the mustang guy doing some work to help repair his car. If its a "pound sand" attitude they have, somebody ought to accidentally take a sledge hammer to their tow vehicle the next time they unload somewhere.

Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:46 PM

That FC group is beyond stupid and absolutely negligent. Surprised there wasn't some tire slashing, etc going on... Maybe later

Some insurance policies may cover that Mustang. I think one of my policies cover my car everywhere but when actually traveling down the track.

Still sucks and totally unnecessary outcome.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/13/13 10:58 PM

Quote:

I think one of my policies cover my car everywhere but when actually traveling down the track.

You might be kidding yourself..... I'd be shocked if there's a policy on the planet that will cover damages encurred from being hit by another car while on a racetrack with both cars in the midst of competition. And make no mistake, to a insurance adjuster, both of these cars were in the act of racing at the time of this incident. The policy that covers this sort of thing is: "NOT BEING A COMPLETE IDIOT AND FOLLOWING THAT UP WITH BEING A COMPLETE JERK", which is a policy we should all strive to follow, and most of us do a great job of.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 01:20 AM

WTF is that, a huge tree trunk for a guard rail? And two people walking around on the wrong side of the fence, the girl not even paying attention to the car about to launch. We have an outlaw track in northern KY that has safer stuff than that.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 01:50 AM

Quote:

WTF is that, a huge tree trunk for a guard rail? And two people walking around on the wrong side of the fence, the girl not even paying attention to the car about to launch. We have an outlaw track in northern KY that has safer stuff than that.

OK...to clarify your inquisitetiveness about the tree "trunk"....this was the local Regional Airport that is OURS to use for this meet. We have huge logs (not pecker poles) all along the strip to use as guard rails...perfectly legal as far as insurance goes. As far as the woman walking around...yeah...someone didn't see her sneek into there. Again...part of the funny car crew .She obviously had a restricted area wristband or she wouldn't got past staging.You can call it outlaw or whatever you want.....still no excuse for what happened.
Maybe you guys don't like trees....we have LOTS of them.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 01:55 AM

It's hardly worth discussing this topic any more...some idiots chose to make a very bad decision , smashed into another car and destroyed their own. End of story.

I'm done!.
Posted By: gofish

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 01:56 AM

My question is what kind of driver starts a burnout, or even a run down the track, when he cannot see what is in front of him?I don't care who tells me to go, if I could not see, I sure am not about to nail the throttle!

Danny

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 01:58 AM

Me too.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 02:29 AM

My guess is

That next year, the insurance will be harder to find
Posted By: Todd

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 02:38 AM

Quote:

My question is what kind of driver starts a burnout, or even a run down the track, when he cannot see what is in front of him?I don't care who tells me to go, if I could not see, I sure am not about to nail the throttle!

Danny

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 03:10 AM

Quote:

My guess is

That thought crossed my mind......but it wasn't negligence on the part of any of the track personnel.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 05:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Danny

X2
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 05:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My guess is

That thought crossed my mind......but it wasn't negligence on the part of any of the track personnel.

Sorry but I beg to differ on that. That incident should not have happened period and if the track staff were doing there jobs they would have stopped the guy before this stupid sht happened. All the tracks should be informed and have the guy and his involved crew permanently banned from all tracks up here. Thankfully no one was injured.
Posted By: MoparDonny

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 06:31 AM

The driver's name is in the comment boxes below on the youtube page. Hope he comes to his senses and forks out some repair money to the mustang guy.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My guess is

Sorry but I beg to differ on that. That incident should not have happened period and if the track staff were doing there jobs they would have stopped the guy before this stupid sht happened. All the tracks should be informed and have the guy and his involved crew permanently banned from all tracks up here. Thankfully no one was injured.

that they are partially to blame, but the major fault falls with the driver. I'm sure no one involved feels too good about it.
Posted By: Duner

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 02:56 PM

Burnout boxes are dangerous.

I watched an alcohol funnycar do a burnout in Tucson.... in reverse, back into the staging lanes and over a bunch of cars. A bunch of stuff got torn up - but luckily nobody got hurt.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My guess is

They should have not been allowed to start the FC until the other two cars had made the turn to the return road!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think one of my policies cover my car everywhere but when actually traveling down the track.

You might be kidding yourself..... I'd be shocked if there's a policy on the planet that will cover damages encurred from being hit by another car while on a racetrack with both cars in the midst of competition. And make no mistake, to a insurance adjuster, both of these cars were in the act of racing at the time of this incident. The policy that covers this sort of thing is: "NOT BEING A COMPLETE IDIOT AND FOLLOWING THAT UP WITH BEING A COMPLETE JERK", which is a policy we should all strive to follow, and most of us do a great job of.

There are indeed policys that cover race cars in competition, and insurance does cover stupidity. I see it everyday.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

A55hole !!!
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 08:51 PM

After having an idiot hit me staging lanes back in 1975, I refuse to race anything that was not paid for in full. As far as the F?C leaving so be it I got back at the a**** later on as guess what there is no insurance period on the cars on the track itself. I do believe the track has to have some on personal injury despite the waiver sign off

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 08:58 PM

Gordy "Smart" oh the irony!!!! LMAO

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A55hole !!!

No "S" keys on the key board up there either?

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/14/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A55hole !!!

No "S" keys on the key board up there either?

We'll leave it at that.....no hard feeling on this end.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/15/13 02:22 PM

I've seen pics and videos from your airport track...props to you guys doing good with the facility you have! I've been to Vancouver Island, and it's probaby the prettiest place I've travelled to.
Insurance may be a tad more expensive, but not much more. If no one was badly injured, and no claim made on the insurance, there shouldn't be a problem. My suggestion would be to make sure that every driver and crew member would be told that no one is to start their burnout until a TRACK CREW member gives the sign.
Unbeleivable that the FC guys bailed like that. What a bunch of spineless cowards.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/15/13 05:39 PM

I have seen the same thing happen at the Winternationals in 1975 or 1974 when a driver in a 1964 Plymouth Beledere M.W. B/SA ran into a former winternational winner(Marcel Cluotueir(SP?) in stock. The Belevedere ran into the back of the 1969 Mustang C/SA doing a burnout before the Mustang was even staged No more burn outs allow to start until the other pair of cars had taken off from the starting line after that.The Plymouth owner told the Mustang racer to pound sand also NHRA use to run sportmans cars through the timers like a bunch of kindergarten kids getting free candy at the school cafeteria If I was the Mustang owner in this deal I would be talking to the track owner and thier insurance company, if that didn't work I would be seeing if I could get a young smart humgry lawyer to help me Stuff happens at the race track, when it involves stupity or negligenced(SP?) someone should pay

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/23/13 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are indeed policys that cover race cars in competition

Ya, show me one. I agree with most of the " guy was stupid " comments, but he is not legally bound to pay for any damages he caused. Everyone ( spectators, pit crew, drivers,) should read the disclaimer on the back side of their admission tickets - yes, it is in VERY SMALL print. Basically all the above wave their rights to any and all liabilities once they buy that ticket and step on to the track grounds. " holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued." The track, owner and all it's personnel are also released by the holder from any claims arising from ........take your pick . And if you think your insurance company will cover you, you are sadly mistaken. Your coverage stops when you buy that ticket and step on to the track grounds. This holds true for a lot of sporting activities. Check out you ball park stub.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/26/13 05:54 PM

Both sides lose There is no insurance and frankly after having car hit at track from behind I would not pay any claim either if I would hit someone Too bad The track should cover but they indemnify themselves with the sign in sheet. Frankly I find is amazing to see new Mega dollar cars on track with risk involved, if your rich fine but most are just average joe's

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/26/13 06:19 PM

Quote:

Both sides lose There is no insurance and frankly after having car hit at track from behind I would not pay any claim either if I would hit someone Too bad The track should cover but they indemnify themselves with the sign in sheet. Frankly I find is amazing to see new Mega dollar cars on track with risk involved, if your rich fine but most are just average joe's

So just to make sure I'm understanding you: You're saying that if you hit someone from behind in a moment of stupidity such as this, you WOULDN'T help the guy out, but you think the TRACK SHOULD pay up for your stupidity?!!

I hope Im missenterpreting your comment, but IF this is indeed what you're saying; You might be the same sort of jerk numerous people have referenced above in this thread. What the hell would make you think someone, ANYONE, else should be responsible for your actions?

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/26/13 07:18 PM

Negligence? How's that factor into the disclaimer?

There's plenty of that to spread around in this case.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/26/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

Negligence? How's that factor into the disclaimer?

There's plenty of that to spread around in this case.

It doesn't figure in. It's just another word for stupid - and we all do stupid [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] now and then. The bulk of us would pay for damages we caused to someone else's stuff, because it is the right thing to do - but by law we wouldn't have to. It's a little scary when you think about it because there are some who have mucho $ tied up in their cars. IMHO, a race track is not a play ground or a Bar - or a golf course . Call me a woosy, but I don't need any help being stupid. The guy that got rear ended could have been on a motorcycle. It aint all just about the $!
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/27/13 02:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ya, show me one. I agree with most of the " guy was stupid " comments, but he is not legally bound to pay for any damages he caused. Everyone ( spectators, pit crew, drivers,) should read the disclaimer on the back side of their admission tickets - yes, it is in VERY SMALL print. Basically all the above wave their rights to any and all liabilities once they buy that ticket and step on to the track grounds. " holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued." The track, owner and all it's personnel are also released by the holder from any claims arising from ........take your pick . And if you think your insurance company will cover you, you are sadly mistaken. Your coverage stops when you buy that ticket and step on to the track grounds. This holds true for a lot of sporting activities. Check out you ball park stub.

anyone more than a year out of law school can beat that "waiver"

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/27/13 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep,

You can't waiver negligent acts.

Who is in charge of the track? The guy/crew in his FC or the track and crew?

When a Fuel car of any nature or Top Alcohol cars come to the line, you'd think, maybe, just maybe, you need to take MORE care in how you allow that particular vehicle to enter the racing surface.

The track and crew screwed the pooch on the first count by not controlling the staging lanes/burnout box. The idiot driving the FC carried on the negligence by doing a burnout when he supposedly couldn't see clearly in front of the car because of glare... REALLY??? Last I checked it's not the wild west coming into the burnout box.

This incident is in no way the same as getting hit in the noggin by a foul ball, or getting clipped by a puck at a hockey game.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/27/13 05:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep,

When a Fuel car of any nature or Top Alcohol cars come to the line, you'd think, maybe, just maybe, you need to take MORE care in how you allow that particular vehicle to enter the racing surface.

The track and crew screwed the pooch on the first count by not controlling the staging lanes/burnout box. The idiot driving the FC carried on the negligence by doing a burnout when he supposedly couldn't see clearly in front of the car because of glare... REALLY??? Last I checked it's not the wild west coming into the burnout box.

This incident is in no way the same as getting hit in the noggin by a foul ball, or getting clipped by a puck at a hockey game.

No, you can't waiver negligent acts, but you do have to prove them ( sue the track and the driver ). My comparison to other sports was only related to what the ticket stubs say. Proving negligence (in this case ) probably wouldn't be too hard. In other scenarios, ( clutch explosion, poor track prep, etc. ) not so clear cut. Lawyer would win for sure.

Re: Danger from the burnout box - 08/27/13 07:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep,

No, you can't waiver negligent acts, but you do have to prove them ( sue the track and the driver ). My comparison to other sports was only related to what the ticket stubs say. Proving negligence (in this case ) probably wouldn't be too hard. In other scenarios, ( clutch explosion, poor track prep, etc. ) not so clear cut. Lawyer would win for sure.

Pretty much. Yes, you assume certain risks when entering on the premises and the two cases you cite, clutch & prep, likely would not get traction. Unfortunately, this incident was wholly preventable.

If that FC, crossed the lines and smacked the mustang at the 60' mark, then yeah, sorry... you lose, part of the risk.

It would likely get pretty interesting with each defendant pointing fingers at the other in front of a judge or jury...
© 2024 Moparts Forums