Moparts

header gasket update

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

header gasket update - 08/03/13 01:37 PM

Well after putting in the Percy's and wrestling with the exhaust for like 2 hours (guy welded EVERYTHING even after I said DON'T weld the mufflers in) anyway the drivers side STILL leaks. So I'll have to pull it off and re-weld the tubes for a better seal SHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.............
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 02:28 PM

Remflex.com

They seal issues like that.

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 04:04 PM

Quote:

Remflex.com

what makes them different than the soft aluminum? I just asking because if there isn't enough weld to seal the aluminum how is the stel going to be any better?
Posted By: sshemi

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 04:17 PM

Best header gaskets ive ever used where the ones that came with my TTI headers.

Or you can try permatex ultra copper sealer with the gaskets.
On my w5 motor the permatex was all i used.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 07:35 PM

I`ve tried those gimic metal gaskets and unless the flanges are perfectly flat they leak. I use the blue Fel-pros w/grease and they never leak.

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 07:43 PM

A buddy had a small block on the dyno with a cheap set of headers. The headers were drilled too low so they had a gap at the bottom of all the ports. We are talking about an 1/8" gap where you can see inside the exhaust port. Junk headers

He went through a Few sets and then I gave him my set of remflex . They sealed it. And never showed any signs of fatigue.

Post a pic but if your issu is at the sealing surface it will seal.

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 08:26 PM

Thump I had fel-pros 1st... these are 2" hooker supercomps not real cheap. I had a set of hedmans leak, I had to re-weld them and hit them w/ a belt sander.. My circle track buddy swears by a glob of Copper RTV and let it rip

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 08:52 PM

So the Fel-pros did`t work 4 u? Let me clarify; I tried the copper gaskets and they leaked bad.............never tried the Piercys...
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 09:05 PM

The copper gaskets don't seal worth a darn. The Percy aluminum have worked for me on the 500" motor with old Hooker 2" supercomp headers.
On the 505" motor with the TTI 1-7/8" headers, I used the Percy carbon fiber gaskets. They seem to be holding up well, but the TTI headers have a better flange than the Hooker headers, so I don't know if the Carbon Fiber gaskers would work on the Hooker headers as well?
Posted By: blownEFI

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 09:13 PM

Quote:

Remflex.com

X2
Posted By: therocks

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 10:21 PM

Mr Gasket Ultras.Thats all we use.Mine were on for 9 years and now with the new heads 4 or 5 years.No leaks ever We run them on all the cars with headers.My kids truck I had them on and off 3 times and still they sealed.Rocky
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: header gasket update - 08/03/13 11:19 PM

99% of exhaust leaks from headers does not come from poor gaskets.
Warped flanges that do not lay flat against the head are #1. The simplest solution is to split the flanges between each cylinder. That way you pull down one cylinder at a time with no interference from adjacent tubes. As long as each tube's weld is flat it will seal fine.tubes with surfaces not parallel to the others are the cause of leaks
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 12:59 AM

I use the Percys dead soft aluminum seal 4 good gaskets.
Ive even reused them and they still work great.

Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 01:01 AM

Quote:

Warped flanges that do not lay flat against the head are #1. The simplest solution is to split the flanges between each cylinder. That way you pull down one cylinder at a time with no interference from adjacent tubes. As long as each tube's weld is flat it will seal fine.tubes with surfaces not parallel to the others are the cause of leaks

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 01:08 AM

Roadhazard's header gaskets are very nice, now I need to talk him into making them for 360-1s

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 01:17 AM

Didn`t know he made those............they will be my next choice since his valve cover gaskets rock.........
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

Roadhazard's header gaskets are very nice, now I need to talk him into making them for 360-1s

Thanks Tony

Quote:

Didn`t know he made those............they will be my next choice since his valve cover gaskets rock.........

Thanks Dom! Guess the valve cover gaskets are still working "OK" after a few years

Hemifred has brought up the important points. The flange should always be checked for flatness and quality of finish for the welded sealing beads.

Mr.Yuck, seems you are having some serious issues with getting yours sealed. And from what I gathered your exhaust guy welded everything together and now your stuck with not being able to get them back out to fix the flanges??

If so get yourself some Remflex gaskets ($$$$) they will conform some and seal a flange that is less than ideal
Same base material as I use but these are about 3 times thicker and don't have a perforated steel carrier. So check your clearances for using a thicker gasket in your application

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

these are cut... don't see how you can cut between 3/5 thou (were the leak is).
Roadhaz... I don't mind the $43 for the Rem's I just don't want to put off what might need to be done anyway. The 1st set of Fel-pro 1414's lasted a good 100+ miles and were fine until the 5 run of the night when I noticed a slight leak, 2nd round of elims blew it all the way out. The percy's leaked at 1st start up. FWIW they seem to be blowing out at the top on 3/5...pass side still has the original Fel-pro 1414's.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 02:32 PM

Metal expands when heated.. we all know this... so
give it the room to expand and dont let it warp the
flanges... if you give each tube a slip area it will
slip instead of warping.. by that I mean drill one
of the mounting holes larger(per tube).. if you have
3 holes per tube drill out 2 of the holes to slide..
you keep 1 hole to locate the tubes..I like
a gragfoil (graphite on stainless material) to let
it slide easy... cut each flange from each other
(ends are cut from the center tubes)... all it takes
for a leak is just a small amount of compression loss
at the flange to get it started and it progressively
gets worse with each heat cycle... cheapo (thin) flanges
make it much easier to warp... thats why I use 3/8"
flanges on all the headers I build

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 02:38 PM

Quote:

Heat wasn't an issue this time as it leaked from frist fire up. These are pretty thick, they are Hooker Supercomps. They are 2 piece and 1-3 flange is cut and 7 is t he slip-fit tube. But I'll try and drill one hole a tad bigger on the 3 side of the header.
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 02:48 PM

Sorry to hear that Yuck....I've had great results with the Percy's gaskets. Been using the same set on 2 different motors for 6 years.

If the welded up exhaust is preventing the flange from sitting flush against the head....I would think that could be a problem. I would disconnect the head pipe and because it sounds like the flange isn't sitting perfectly flush with the head surface.

Ron
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Heat wasn't an issue this time as it leaked from frist fire up. These are pretty thick, they are Hooker Supercomps. They are 2 piece and 1-3 flange is cut and 7 is t he slip-fit tube. But I'll try and drill one hole a tad bigger on the 3 side of the header.

Thats because they were already warped to start with
from the previous running... you need THICK gaskets
or grind the flanges flat again.. I will guarantee
if you lay a straight edge on it thats its not flat
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 03:24 PM

Quote:

I neglected to mention that you should increase the diameter of the bolt holes in insure they don't interfere especially when hot
Posted By: gch

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

I`ve tried those gimic metal gaskets and unless the flanges are perfectly flat they leak. I use the blue Fel-pros w/grease and they never leak.

Same here.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: header gasket update - 08/04/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Same here.

X3, I cut my flanges between the tubes too.

Attached picture 7802365-headers011.JPG
Posted By: rowin4

Re: header gasket update - 08/05/13 12:12 AM

I think the way a person tightens the header flange down is important also. Do it evenly back and forth to get a tight seal.

Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: header gasket update - 08/05/13 01:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

these are cut... don't see how you can cut between 3/5 thou (were the leak is).
Roadhaz... I don't mind the $43 for the Rem's I just don't want to put off what might need to be done anyway. The 1st set of Fel-pro 1414's lasted a good 100+ miles and were fine until the 5 run of the night when I noticed a slight leak, 2nd round of elims blew it all the way out. The percy's leaked at 1st start up. FWIW they seem to be blowing out at the top on 3/5...pass side still has the original Fel-pro 1414's.

I have the same issue, my Percy's blew on top between 3/5. Just ordered the remflex, hopefully they will get here by the weekend.

Re: header gasket update - 08/05/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear that Yuck....I've had great results with the Percy's gaskets. Been using the same set on 2 different motors for 6 years.

If the welded up exhaust is preventing the flange from sitting flush against the head....I would think that could be a problem. I would disconnect the head pipe and because it sounds like the flange isn't sitting perfectly flush with the head surface.

Ron

I install the headers w/o the rest of the exhaust, I just have to slide and entire side in instead of the intermedite pipe.
Mr. P... I'll try the Remflex's and if they don't work I'll pull the drivers side and reweld/grind that side. They did seal briefly w/ fel-pro and lots of RTV, I just don't like using a bunch of it as it's a PITA to clean off.
At least these come off and go on real easy.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: header gasket update - 08/05/13 03:33 PM

Remflex are excellent for a less then perfect flange.
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: header gasket update - 08/05/13 03:43 PM

There has to be some major warpage on those flanges.

I've used the Percy's on old crusty Headmans on a factory iron heads when nothing else would work.....with great results.

Admittedly, i didn't try the Remflex gaskets so i can't speak personally to their effectiveness so hopefully those work better for you.

Ron

Re: header gasket update - 08/05/13 04:05 PM

just be sure to read the instructions and pay close attention to the torque required to seal the REMFLEX gaskets - It's about 15 ft / lbs on my small block & they are good to go - It's on the back of the gasket package.
© 2024 Moparts Forums