Moparts

Best Header gasket

Posted By: WayneM

Best Header gasket - 07/17/13 09:29 PM

Just got my brand spanky new W2 TTI headers (gorgeous). The gaskets that were in the box look decent. I am wondering how they are as they look like their own.
In the past, I've always had good luck with Mr. Gasket ultra seal (the graphite coated ones). I haven't used any of the new copper or fancy stuff. What say in Moparts land?

Posted By: Matt Butler

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/17/13 10:41 PM

I just put my 360 back together after a head gasket failure and I am using the REMFLEX gaskets from Mancini... This is the best my headers have ever sealed! Great crush on the gasket and small imperfections in the flange don't bother them.
Posted By: aspenrt360

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/17/13 11:12 PM

best header gaskets I have ever used are Percy's the thick aluminum ones I have reused them on different heads and headers and never had a leak.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/17/13 11:32 PM

You're going to laugh but I have had good results just coating the cheap paper Mr Gasket type ones that come with most header kits with hi temp silicone ( the red stuff or copper stuff) and call it done. Unless the bolts loosen up and cause a blow out they do a good job on my junk.

If you have 3/8" machined flanges just use the silicone, no gasket.

Kevin
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 12:43 AM

Great question!
I will be soon installing my 440 w/stealth heads, Tri-y's, 727 and "K" frame as an assembly from the bottom, lowering the car down over it. It would really suck if I were to develop a exhaust leak. Someone out there has the answer.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 12:52 AM

Best for me is no gasket. Just high temp RTV. When the TTI gasket installed originally started to leak I repaired with RTV only. No problems for 3 years. With metal to metal contact or at most a thin layer of RTV there is nothing to blow out.
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 01:10 AM

I've had good luck with Percy's aluminum ones also reused them several times. If there is a major mismatch I've used Remflex and never had any issues.
Scott
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 01:37 AM

Remflex are real nice,but tough as hell to cut to size,which is what i had to do to match my exhaust ports.They do make em specific for W2 but not indy 360-1's.The gaskets indy gave me with the heads lasted 1 heat cycle and nothing left but screen
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 01:39 AM

Remflex are real nice,but tough as hell to cut to size,which is what i had to do to match my exhaust ports.They do make em specific for W2 but not indy 360-1's
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 03:40 AM

Quote:

best header gaskets I have ever used are Percy's the thick aluminum ones I have reused them on different heads and headers and never had a leak.

X2.. I've used Percy's on my 383 & after the first heat cycle retorque,
they seal great.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 04:38 AM

the gaskets that came with your headers are good gaskets. i'v never had a problem with them in the 10yrs i'v used them.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 04:46 AM

I can tell you how to minimize any leaks.. if the flange
is 1 piece cut the end tubes from the center (wedge)
and open up 1 of the mounting hole per tube so it can
slide and not buckle the flange... I like any gasket
thats part graphite.. its slippery
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 05:07 AM

My experience tells me that high dollar header gaskets are bandaids for bad header flanges. If the header is good, any gasket should seal it. Brand new TTI's.... A piece of cardboard should work.
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 05:07 AM

I have had GREAT success with Remflex. First time on my motorhome, lots of heat...no leaks.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 05:16 AM

If you have used other gaskets and they lasted like a year and then blew out, Remflex is the cure. Only thing that sucks is they get destroyed if you have to pull a header.
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 05:33 AM

remflex hands down!
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 07:39 AM

I don't like the TTi OE header gaskets, they are thin and don't seal well.. Personally I have used the Fel-Pros with good sucess..

Just my $0.0.2..
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 08:11 AM

Remflex has my vote.
Posted By: WayneM

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 09:15 AM

Thanks Guys! I agree that the quality of the header itself is a major factor. I'll never forget the first set I had so many years ago- dented up junk from englishtown swap meet, where I had to change gaskets weekly. Hey- I had it down to a science and did it in a parking lot anywhere.

What is the remflex made of?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 12:40 PM

I have always used Fel-Pro 1414's but after 2 blew out with my new 2" headers I went w/ Percy's we shall see how the hold up. I'll be heading to the track Friday night if it isn't 100* out.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 01:22 PM

I have always had great results with the cheap white mr gasket ones. Keep them tight and they will go years.

My dad got some gaskets years ago with his Dough Thorley headers and they come with some Bison brand gaskets. These things are tough. I am using some of them right now and they have held up good, I have even re-used them a few times. I had to enlarge them a little for my heads and I had to use a burr on my die grinder to get the job done...pretty tough!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 01:25 PM

I use MrGasket Ultra Seal, no sealer and no leaks.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 01:27 PM

We use the Mr Gaskets.My TTIs with Stealths are going on 5 years and no problems.I could have used the old set when I changed from Iron.My kid run them on the other cars also.The aluminum and copper suck.Had a set on the TTIs and they leaked like there was no gasket.Only place I use copper is on the collectors.My cut outs have Mr Gaskets and been on and off at least 30 times.Still seal.That and they are cheap for a good gasket.Rocky
Posted By: cl440

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 02:07 PM

Remflex!
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Best Header gasket - 07/18/13 03:40 PM

I once used nothing but hi temp rtv on my tti's once. heldup all season.
© 2024 Moparts Forums