Moparts

SB race oil pump?

Posted By: AndyF

SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 12:21 AM

Flipping thru some older books I see a bunch of interesting oil pump designs that were developed for the SB Mopar engine. Dual entry pickups, lowered pumps, swiveling pickups, deep rotor packages, etc.

But it appears that most of those items all died off over time. Did people determine that the SB engine worked just fine with a standard pump and so all the special pumps went away? Or is there a trick pump that still exists which I just don't know about?
Posted By: tubtar

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 12:24 AM

This has puzzled me too.
I have seen pictures of different styles , but about all I see available today is the pick up coming out of the bottom plate on the pump.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 12:24 AM

a stock pump in a well prepped SB will give you all the oil you need.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 12:25 AM

no need for anything else
Posted By: LSP

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 12:42 AM

The stock pump is more than sufficient.
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 01:54 AM

Titan.
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 02:29 AM

I got my pump here. These guys go the extra mile to make sure the pump is perfect. I have taken some new pumps apart that had clearance problems with the gears.

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/-strse-28/Blueprinted-Melling-SB-Mopar/Detail.bok

Attached picture 7770227-a6473b71358d8ce32f57bd_m.jpg

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 02:33 AM

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/-strse-28/Blueprinted-Melling-SB-Mopar/Detail.bok

Attached picture 7770234-a6473a313dd692054df416_m.jpg

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 02:42 AM

That looks good. I haven't heard of those guys before.

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 02:43 AM

Quote:

Titan.

I understand the sales pitch for Titan pumps in Chevy motors, but the Mopar pumps are already gerator designs. The Titan stuff does look cool though. Big points for that, just not sure I want to drop $1000 for a pump.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 02:55 AM

I'm a big believer in blueprinted oil pumps, lots of efficiency improvements can be made porting and chamfering the as-cast passages in the pumps and (in the case of the small block mopar) the main cap.

I really like the milodon mopar pumps, they have a more efficient georotor and work really well.

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 02:55 AM

Quote:

That looks good. I haven't heard of those guys before.

I got one on ebag about 5yrs ago for $80 min bid. Sometimes I still see them there. Seems like worth it to me for a few extra bucks to make sure the heart of the engine is perfect.

Attached picture 7770266-005(Mobile).JPG
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 04:17 AM

Quote:

The stock pump is more than sufficient.

Agree and at Petts we`d open em up and de-burr the gears,check gear depth to top measurement and gacefully chamfer/port the flow paths.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 07:58 AM

Quote:

...I really like the milodon mopar pumps, they have a more efficient georotor and work really well.

I thought that improved efficiency pump gear (Ford? style) was only used on thier new Big Block pumps. For right now.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 12:13 PM

I have a 340 Milodon Race pan that came with the billet pump housing and the "star" style rotor; I can only run the pan because the Rocky has no K-frame obstruction.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 04:51 PM

Re-work a stock pump and your good...or use someone like Precision or schumans of you dont want to take the time. They simply do it all for you. I have used both in circle track stuff. You can get them to coat some of the parts as well, which is great in the long endurance apps. With drag stuff I just clean up the stock styles ( the quality is now horrible) and debur, clean, radius and open up and then check the operating and spring pressures on my pump tester. It will often find the over pressure stuff quickly, which is a pain to figure out after the fact!...
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: SB race oil pump? - 07/09/13 08:22 PM

Quote:

I got my pump here. These guys go the extra mile to make sure the pump is perfect. I have taken some new pumps apart that had clearance problems with the gears.

I like this. Not a bad price at all if ya don't wanna mess with it. This is what I will use on my next small block build.

And they are only about 2 hours from me.

Thanks for the link.
© 2024 Moparts Forums