Moparts

Cometics On Small Blocks

Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/08/08 01:19 PM

I put Edelbrocks back on after a trip to Shadydell (thanks again Ryan). All is well, but I am noticing some oil seepage at the backs of both heads from the Cometic gaskets. I sprayed them with copper as I was instructed. Is this normal? Does synthetic oil have anything to do with this?
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/08/08 01:36 PM

There is no oil at the back of a SB head...Only oil a head gasket seals on a SB is where it comes up from cam to feed the rockers..... it's almost for sure a slight trail running down from the manifold (from a tiny leak at the rear valley wall) following contour of head gasket & running down & dripping off.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/08/08 02:53 PM

Hey Pete.. long time no talk to.. Hope all is well with you and yours..

The one thing I noticed with my Eddy's were the trail that Ryan mentioned.. I once has a small oil leak from the fuel pump block off plate that trailed the bottom side of the Eddys and dripped behind the oil filter..

So in your case, I would also look at the oil pressure sender and the back of the intake manifold..

Good luck to ya
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/08/08 03:20 PM

It may be a trail as suggested, but I've also seen water and oil seepage that seems to be a product of design. It is usually more of a water issue, but I've found coolant tracks between they layers of multi-layer gaskets, as if the fire ring sealed, but there was not enough clamping pressure to seal the water jackets. That could alse be happening with the oil. Putting silicon on the gasket face didn't help, because it was seeping between the layers. We always use some form of stop-leak in engines that I assemble with a layered gasket which usually stops the water seepage. If you are actually getting oil seepage from the gasket, you may need to get sealer in between the layers.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/08/08 04:16 PM

True there are no ports in the rear section of the cylinder head gasket. That doesn't mean that oil is not there. Under hard acceleration you get a lot of oil at the rear of the heads and lifter valley. This is why you rarely leak at the front but can easily have leaks at the rear.

I always spread a skim of RTV on the end of the head gaskets where they run up the block towards the intake area. These leaks can be pesty.

Leon

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/08/08 04:57 PM

Ryan - Sounds like a perfectly plausable scenerio, so I will have another look. Having had the trans out just a few weeks ago, I did not notice anything. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder.

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/31/08 04:56 PM

Turned out to be the dist...
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/31/08 06:11 PM

I thought I heard that Cometic doesn't recomend running their gaskets with Edelbrocks because of some alignment issues? Anyone heard that before, I think I heard that from Hughes.

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/31/08 06:37 PM

Quote:

Turned out to be the dist...

Congrats on the fix...

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 12/31/08 06:37 PM

Quote:

I thought I heard that Cometic doesn't recomend running their gaskets with Edelbrocks because of some alignment issues? Anyone heard that before, I think I heard that from Hughes.

I dont have any problems with my Eddys and Cometics.. Well not since I torqued them down to 110lbs
Posted By: begood

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 12:38 AM

I have Cometics on my 5.9 running 2.02 Magnum R/T heads with no problems.

Bill.
Posted By: 4spdfury

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 01:10 AM

were running cometics on our small block with eddy heads and have had problems with water leaking into the cam galley. cometic said they have had nothing but problems with the eddy heads and there gaskets. this was just found out today.

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 01:17 AM

I'm going to pull out a new set of LA Cometics & lay them on a new set of SB E heads tomorrow & I will see whether there is anything that is wrong or not, I don't think there will be a problem, but I will post my findings tomorrow......
Posted By: onebaddakota

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 03:52 AM

I have had no leaks from my cometics and magnum eddy heads.
Tom
Posted By: Hunted Duck

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 04:41 AM

My cometics leak also. First set didn't, but this set did.

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 02:09 PM

I don't think the problem was with Magnum heads. Hughes said Cometic basically told them to stop using their gaskets with Eddies so they stopped. I like Cometics so I'd like to use them if I can so that's why I asked, figured there would be a lot of users that could confirm.
Posted By: vcummins

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 03:48 PM

I have had leaking on Eddies and magnum R/t heads and found that when riveted together they are some times NOT flat creating A bulge in the layers.

So I cut all (but one at the front) of the rivet tabs off with A cut off wheel and chamfer.

Spray copper between all the layers and install.

Doing this stops all the problems. Give it A try

Attached picture 4919927-Picture075.jpg

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 05:08 PM

Here's a picture of the water passages on an LA E head & a W2....

There is absolutely no difference. So the theory about Cometics not working on LA E heads is thrown out the window as I thought.

They will seal water just fine if properly installed. I've never had a problem with a set but with so many people claiming there was an issue I figured I'd check the passages out & lay a gasket on & look for any issues, I found none.

Attached picture 4920071-100_0054.jpg

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 05:11 PM

Here's an LA Cometic on the E head, there is no overhang issues etc.

Dunno what to tell the guys who have them leak other than to use more sealer, be absolutely sure on your TQ specs & using proper lube on your studs/bolts & let the gaskets "settle" & come back & re-torque after a few minutes until they take a "set" on the TQ.

Attached picture 4920074-100_0056.jpg
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/03/09 10:11 PM

Quote:

I have had leaking on Eddies and magnum R/t heads and found that when riveted together they are some times NOT flat creating A bulge in the layers.

So I cut all (but one at the front) of the rivet tabs off with A cut off wheel and chamfer.

Spray copper between all the layers and install.

Doing this stops all the problems. Give it A try

My last set of Cometics had that same issue of not being riveted correctly and I removed all but one also opened up the offending hole's and re riveted them, don't know if it would of been an issue but I didn't like it so I fixed it and I have no problem's,,if I would not have would it of leaked? don't know

Re: Cometics On Small Blocks - 01/05/09 02:32 AM

Thanks Ryan for looking into this this for us, the pictures really help too. Thanks also for the others that replied, I like to have the Cometic option if I need custom thick gaskets.
© 2024 Moparts Forums