Moparts

a couple smallblock questions.

Posted By: 1Fast340

a couple smallblock questions. - 06/29/13 11:59 PM

how much valvelift can the smallblock edelbrock rpm heads handle before having to cut the guides?

how much lobe lift is safe without uncovering the liftergalery oiling with the comp #8043 rollerlifters in a stockblock 340?

How much compresion can the Felpro#1008 headgaskets handle with the help of cylinderheadstuds?

the plan is to use the Scat #1-48013 stroker kit wich if i mill the openchamber edelbrockheads can give enough compression to be a good choice for E85 or just run it with the big chambers on pumpgas and a crane #698801 solid roller camshaft with 260/266@.050lift and .630lift,i think it could be a real fun street/strip combination,whats your opinion?
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 12:28 AM

Quote:

how much valvelift can the smallblock edelbrock rpm heads handle before having to cut the guides?

how much lobe lift is safe without uncovering the liftergalery oiling with the comp #8043 rollerlifters in a stockblock 340?

How much compresion can the Felpro#1008 headgaskets handle with the help of cylinderheadstuds?

the plan is to use the Scat #1-48013 stroker kit wich if i mill the openchamber edelbrockheads can give enough compression to be a good choice for E85 or just run it with the big chambers on pumpgas and a crane #698801 solid roller camshaft with 260/266@.050lift and .630lift,i think it could be a real fun street/strip combination,whats your opinion?

what stroke is that crank I have seen many 12.5 + running 1008 head gaskets with good bolts

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 12:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

what stroke is that crank I have seen many 12.5 + running 1008 head gaskets with good bolts

its a 4" stroke crank,the pistons in the kit would give me a compression around 11:1 with the heads the way they are right now but would easily be a 12:1+compression motor with just alitle milling of the heads.

the options are either

#1 pumpgas, single carb on singleplane manifold or two edelbrock carbs on a tunnelram
or
#2 E85, dominator on singleplane manifold
Posted By: Crizila

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure you will be cutting the guides at .630 lift - no matter what seals you use. Second question answer should come from Comp. 12:1 and over I'd be looking at MLS gaskets - even with studs. 1008's will work for a while, but my experience is that they will eventually start to leak. A lot will depend on the cam profile ( intake valve closing / overlap).
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 01:22 AM

sounds like a low rpm high torque motor my choice would be e85 with 950 hp at 11to1 that way you could change from pump gas to e85 with no problems.. 11 to 1 has work great for us with no problems ..but I would not put to much carb on those heads,,,
Posted By: mafo

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 08:48 AM

If everything else is in order ,Fel Pro 1008 can handle a lot of pressure, my w2 engine had over 15-1 and no head gasket problems
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 01:57 PM

I've run .645 lift with no issues. Ill so changed the strings and retainers and checked after that.

I did have to open the cups up but the depths didn't change

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 06:15 PM

some good input here
and for what its worth these heads are not realy out of the box,they are ported as far as they go with the stock valves. i just like to keep the valveguides stock height for stability.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 06/30/13 08:23 PM

Ya, the longer you can keep the guides the better. A moc-up will tell you what you have to do. Just remember to include the seals in your measurements. I shoot for a minimum of .040 clearance - retainer to seal.

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 07/01/13 08:46 PM

good advice here:)

does anyone have any experience with how much lobelift can usualy be used with these lifters and a standard basecircle cam?

i believe these lifters are basicly the same as Brians from IMM
Posted By: D-50

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 07/01/13 11:22 PM

I have the same lifters and my cam is .704 lift before the lash and I have had no issues.

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 07/02/13 07:27 PM

Quote:

I have the same lifters and my cam is .704 lift before the lash and I have had no issues.

did you have to run a smaller base cam? or did you tube the oilgalery? thats some serious lift!
Posted By: D-50

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 07/02/13 10:58 PM

I should have been more specific. The cam has .427 lobe lift and the lifters bores are bushed.The reason it has so much lift is I have 1.65 ratio T&D rockers. I ran them in another motor without bushed lifter bores but had another cam from Bullet that had a smaller base circle. It was .665 lift.

Attached picture 7763215-CIMG0081.JPG

Re: a couple smallblock questions. - 07/03/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

I should have been more specific. The cam has .427 lobe lift and the lifters bores are bushed.The reason it has so much lift is I have 1.65 ratio T&D rockers. I ran them in another motor without bushed lifter bores but had another cam from Bullet that had a smaller base circle. It was .665 lift.

i suspected something along those lines. Thanks i appreciate any info i can get
© 2024 Moparts Forums