Moparts

Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram

Posted By: Sammy

Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/15/13 12:49 AM

Is the cost of a Hogan Sheetmetal Intake worth it over buying lets say a Indy Tunnelram Intake.
What do you think the gains would be with a high dollar Hogan Sheetmetal intake vs. lets say a Indy cast aluminum tunnelram intake?
This will be going on a hemi with MP aluminum heads.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/15/13 12:59 AM

Sheet Metal intake, their only benefit is they are built to suit your particular engine. If the cast Tunnel ram was an exact match to your combination, the sheet metal intake would show no benefit.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/15/13 01:08 AM

INDY'S HEMI CAST TUNNEL LACKS A SUITABLE SIZE PLENUM .it is much too small . increases as much as 50 hp were gain when adding one inch spacer
Posted By: moeflo

Re: Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/15/13 02:41 AM

Quote:

INDY'S HEMI CAST TUNNEL LACKS A SUITABLE SIZE PLENUM .it is much too small . increases as much as 50 hp were gain when adding one inch spacer

I don't doubt that. It's easier to add volume with spacers than to shrink it. Many SM intakes are done the same way to allow fine tuning the plenum to the specific engine.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/15/13 09:42 PM

The oldest TR were made too big on purpose - easier to install a stuffer than to add another gaskets and screws, change linkage, fuel lines, scoop position, throttle cable...
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/15/13 09:47 PM

I used the Indy tunnel-ram on mine with $350.00 worth of porting work done on it,and that might be the Best Bang for the $$$ also for you!
Posted By: RADAMX

Re: Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/17/13 04:11 PM

Weight and WOW factor are the main advantages and it is cheaper to build one off tunnel rams then cast them.
Also as stated earlier if built by some of the better intake builders.
they will build it to your engine spec and the rpm you want to run.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Sheetmetal Intake vs.Tunnelram - 06/18/13 12:52 AM

Can someone post up a picture of a Indy Hemi Tunnelram.
I have no idea what they look like.
© 2024 Moparts Forums