Moparts

Roots Blown Smallblocks

Posted By: Blucuda413

Roots Blown Smallblocks - 05/31/13 05:32 PM

Give us your experience with roots blowers on smallblocks. Photos please!! Tell us about size engine, heads, manifold, size blower, boost level, induction system, and performance/horsepower. Thanks!!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 05/31/13 07:20 PM

I asked that question here....Didn't work out so well, and I won't be asking anyone anything on this site anymore.

I am considering a Wipple 3.3L on my 408 W2 small block as a replacement for the 512 big block in the car now..... They gave me a quote for the blower and the nose, the rest would be up to me.

Did some research, and the screw compressors add very little heat in the intake charge if sized right when compared to a roots. Not sure if its less or more than a centrifigul though. The centrifigul quote I recieved was a lot higher than the screw compressor quote, so it will take some thinking.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 05/31/13 07:31 PM

Sorry not a Roots,its just a little Lysholm 3.3litre screw
.030 over 340 with ancient TRW pistons 9.7:1 compression and Eagle H-beam rods.
Small comp extreme energy solid roller 242/248 at .050 .570/.576lift
ported Edelbrock rpm heads
Billet intake manifold.
Prosystems E85 dominator.

its not running yet so i cant tell you much about performance or power,but it should make 550 or so HP at a sane level of boost and maybe alitle more at 14psi
screws are lots more efficient than roots.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 05/31/13 09:05 PM

Quote:

I asked that question here....Didn't work out so well, and I won't be asking anyone anything on this site anymore.

Ya get that feeling around here sometimes don't ya!?Me tooooo!
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 05/31/13 11:48 PM

There was a forum sub section for blower/turbos, etc here. Didn't last long. Better to get no answers than wrong answers.
Posted By: radar

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 12:07 AM

I have not seen a lot of stuff made for LA blowers. Those chevy guys can just call jegs or summit and drop 4k for a nice setup. I think you need deep pockets and or a mill and a tig welder to make a 6-71 or whatever happen on your 360 LA.

Too bad- I know ever since I saw my first one I wanted a roots blower with a big fat belt on it whining and loping away. I just don't have a hemi or bigblock. Really a bigblock is peanuts $ compared to setting up a blower isn't it?

I really enjoy seeing you guys with the holes in your hoods- somebody's gotta do it! Too bad you're not feeling the love around here- you're my heroes!!
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 02:20 AM

Theres a WIW thread for one right now.

Dennis
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 02:28 AM

Here is 1 we done for a customer.
OEM 340 cu 8.5:1
Ported Eddies
6/71 w/ street clearance 10% under 12psi
Custom SMALL solid roller
2 x 750 DP

Engine dyno
625HP - PULP
730HP - E85

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 03:59 AM

Quote:

Ported Eddies
2 x 750 DP

Engine dyno
625HP - PULP
730HP - E85

Interesting double master cylinder for the brakes.Cool!
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 12:28 PM

Quote:

I have not seen a lot of stuff made for LA blowers. Those chevy guys can just call jegs or summit and drop 4k for a nice setup. I think you need deep pockets and or a mill and a tig welder to make a 6-71 or whatever happen on your 360 LA.

Too bad- I know ever since I saw my first one I wanted a roots blower with a big fat belt on it whining and loping away. I just don't have a hemi or bigblock. Really a bigblock is peanuts $ compared to setting up a blower isn't it?

I really enjoy seeing you guys with the holes in your hoods- somebody's gotta do it! Too bad you're not feeling the love around here- you're my heroes!!

its not all that hard,call your indydealer of choice and order the intakemanifold or maybe even a complete kit.

im sick of the bitching about no parts being available when they clearly are available. as for the chevy and ford stuff being cheaper well tough luck they are a much bigger market. parts are available and moparowners in general are whiny cheapskates.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 01:01 PM

I've run mine for 28 years. It's a smaller 6V-71 mounted on a single 4 barrel intake. 8-1 comp,240@.050" cam, mildly ported 308 iron head, 2 carter 750. At 12psi it runs 11.0@122 at 3890lbs thru the mufflers. It's a fun street car. For my money if I was to do it again it would be a turbo. My sons Savoy has less cam (224@.050") and less gear (2.76 vs 4.30). Though he does have more cubes (366 vs 344) and probably 200 lbs less. It runs easy 10.70@127.
Doug

Attached picture 7727028-IMG_7816.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 02:42 PM

Years ago I ran a SB with a roots style blower.. I
made the intake out of a spare tunnel ram intake.. I
milled it to the height I wanted and welded a 5/8" alum
plate to the intake... worked fine... I set it up so
the pulleys were in alignment and the pulleys were
parallel.. I use to flip the upper and lower pulleys
to go from over driven to under driven.. now days
you can find the parts(they are out there) but back
when I did it there wasnt much and I was cheap so I
made most of my junk(sorta like I am now... LOL)

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/01/13 03:30 PM

I believe victorylibrary.com in the tech section has instructions for making an intake for a blower from a 4bbl intake.[just FYI]
Posted By: Ck[FIN]

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/02/13 08:09 AM

Few years ago i built 360 with 6/71 blower

360 bored 0.030
Eddy heads
Stock crank,
Cat rods
Forged pistons
9.0:1 CR
purple cam from swap meet
6/71 9psi
dual 600cfm vacuum holley

520hp/530ftlbs

10.68s best run 1/4mile
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/02/13 08:39 AM

Dyers blowers still in business?
R.

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/02/13 11:49 AM

Quote:

Dyers blowers still in business?
R.

Yes they are... I talked to them about a year ago
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/02/13 05:22 PM

Thanks guys for all the input but I'm sure there is more info out there. The unit for sale in the "craigslist" area is a 6V-71. Would probably make a nice street unit but it's not much of a competition unit probably not much better than a 4-71. I have looked at the manifold built in Aussie land and it is a nice looking piece, I would have designed it a little differently but it was probably designed for street use. The blower sits a lot to the rear which I believe would make it very difficult in selecting a distributor. Someone mentioned the Indy manifold but it looks to me like it is built for magnum heads. Some of the other companies make manifolds but they are very expensive. I was hopeing I could use a 12-71 that I have but it looks like it is too long. I will probably have to trade it for either a 6 or 8-71. Mr P's idea is probably the best betbecause you could place the blower exactly where you wanted it.

Please continue with the discussion there are always items to be learned from experience. Thanks, Max
Posted By: dvw

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/02/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys for all the input but I'm sure there is more info out there. The unit for sale in the "craigslist" area is a 6V-71. Would probably make a nice street unit but it's not much of a competition unit probably not much better than a 4-71. I have looked at the manifold built in Aussie land and it is a nice looking piece, I would have designed it a little differently but it was probably designed for street use. The blower sits a lot to the rear which I believe would make it very difficult in selecting a distributor. Someone mentioned the Indy manifold but it looks to me like it is built for magnum heads. Some of the other companies make manifolds but they are very expensive. I was hopeing I could use a 12-71 that I have but it looks like it is too long. I will probably have to trade it for either a 6 or 8-71. Mr P's idea is probably the best betbecause you could place the blower exactly where you wanted it.

Please continue with the discussion there are always items to be learned from experience. Thanks, Max

Dyers is still in business. They are the only ones that ever used 6V-71. The stock distributor fits without issue. It has the same rotor diameter as a 4/71 or 6/71. The length of the rotors is half way between the two. It was originally designed for a GMC V6 diesel to scavenge exhaust. The 6/71 is for an inline diesel. How fast do you want to go? The larger the blower the slower you have to turn it to get the same boost, less intake temp. Running a roots on gas in competition is a loosing battle. Alcohol or E85 is the way to go. I'd still run a turbo.
Doug

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/02/13 06:42 PM

Quote:

You would be surprised at how much pressure you
can make with a 6/71... turn it harder but it will
still make heat... thats the problem with anything
that compresses air... it makes heat(just like your
home air compressor)... but a roots blower sticking
thru the hood will always be cool
Posted By: fed

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/02/13 09:48 PM

What kind of intake?
Quote:

Ported Eddies
2 x 750 DP

Engine dyno
625HP - PULP
730HP - E85

Posted By: LA360

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/03/13 03:24 AM

I am not sure if they still make them, but a company in Sydney used to cast and machine them, they went under Max Wedge products or something like that.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/03/13 03:58 PM

Yes, I do:

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/blower-GMC.htm
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/03/13 11:58 PM

The manifold was from MAX WEDGE PERFORMANCE here in Australia, was a nice piece
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Roots Blown Smallblocks - 06/04/13 01:31 AM

I am about 20 miles south of the unit on CL in NC if you would happen to be interested I could ride up and take a look I take our drinking water samples to a lab there once a month

Edit: just go turbo....you won't regret it
© 2024 Moparts Forums