Post deleted by 11secondC
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 04:05 PM

Put a test spring on the intake and the exhaust and
test your own set up... use a dial indicator and at full
lift push down on the rocker and measure the distance
Posted By: 11secondC

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 04:39 PM

Uh, thanks for nothing? I wouldn't have asked the question if I had the tools to do so...

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Uh, thanks for nothing? I wouldn't have asked the question if I had the tools to do so...

Do what you want..... last time I try to help you..
plus you better tell them what ratio rockers
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 05:21 PM

Quote:

Wow what a jerk of response! I doubt you will get any info or a response from anyone else on this board. Mike is very well thought of by everyone on here.

Attached picture 7724825-440SSoldschool.JPG
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should borrow the tools to do so , unless someone has your exact combination with everything machined exactly the same it's a guess at best and I would NOT trust a guess .

How was that for less than nothing ?
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow what a jerk of response! I doubt you will get any info or a response from anyone else on this board. Mike is very well thought of by everyone on here.

X2
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

Too funny..........go ahead and run it you`ll be fine ESPECIALLY above 8000 rpm`s............let us know how it works for ya. Born in 76 so you must know everything......
Posted By: quickd100

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:25 PM

Yep the only way you'll know for sure is to use checker springs and a degree wheel and a dial indicator. Moving the installed centerline shifts your P/V clearance also. Anyone can tell you sure it will fit, but without checking it correctly you could eaily loose a motor or extensively damage it. If you can't do it yourself find a friend or a shop that can. Dave

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:26 PM

The clique's on here are funny.

About what I expected, understandable since my screenname isn't bbodybob or abodyjoe...

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:28 PM

ATTITUDE pal..............plain amd simple..........
Posted By: ro23car

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:30 PM

Quote:

thats a crappy resopnce on your part.different engines have different variables.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:42 PM

Quote:

Zero deck 440 with SRP's flat-tops -6cc valve reliefs...MP 590, 75 cc Edelbrocks, Marine Fel-pro's...

Anyone run into issues with the cam in @ 102-104?

are you running this cam now ? if so what is it in at and what is your current piston to valve clearance?

The only cliques are those that people create for themselves.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:47 PM

Well I have very close to the same combo..But not sure I want to tell you anything !!....gezz man chill out.. Now I have a lot of valve to piston clearnce.. same cam- flat top pistons. 0 deck- stock crank-stock length rods- 1.5 rockers. over .150 on both intake and exhaust . But you really should not take anyone word on this.. bad things can and will happen if it is not right..I would have to look and see what size my relieves are.cam is in at 101. heads are 72cc.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 06:58 PM

What your clearance Clarence, roger Roger, whats your vector Victor....

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 07:04 PM

John...I've seen similar questions by different posters that have been asked on this board before, not necessarily mine fwiw...and it's amazing the difference in responses given depending on who posted the question. Is what it is.

I completely understand the "correct" way, is to measure it and again I understand the catastrophic consequences if I get it wrong.

Currently running the MP557...no idea on where I'm at, again don't have the tools to check it. Been running now 2 years...a friend has offered a nib 590 he's never ran, thought maybe I would give it a shot. Cam has been around what 30+ years, and I'm guessing someone at one time has tried running it in a zero deck motor, if it worked with a old TRW 6 pak piston, I would think it should be ok with mine...might be I'm wrong, don't know.

I've actually met Mike in the pits a few years back, seemed like a nice enough guy...my apologies to him for being so curt...

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 07:09 PM

Quote:

Well I have very close to the same combo..But not sure I want to tell you anything !!....gezz man chill out.. Now I have a lot of valve to piston clearnce.. same cam- flat top pistons. 0 deck- stock crank-stock length rods- 1.5 rockers. over .150 on both intake and exhaust . But you really should not take anyone word on this.. bad things can and will happen if it is not right..I would have to look and see what size my relieves are.cam is in at 101. heads are 72cc.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

The clique's on here are funny.

About what I expected, understandable since my screenname isn't bbodybob or abodyjoe...

Hey smart a$$ your the one asking for answers... instead
of your snide remark you could have just said I
dont have the equipment to do it right... there
isnt any clique on here and we would have been more
than happy to try and help you ... MAYBE Jamie
(Vernmotors) can give you a ball park number
that you'll be happy with
Posted By: deaks

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 08:39 PM

I'm not as knowledgable as Mike or some of the others on here but i used to run a .670 roller 280 at .050 dur with 6 pack pistons, 76 cc RPM's snd steel shim head gaskets and they cleared fine.
I run the .590 with the same heads now but with dome pistons and felpros. I clayed the pistons on both.
BTW, love your 66 Fury, you see very few 65-6 at the strip. I used to have a 66 Fury 111 with a 383.
Mick
Posted By: johnzgarage

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 10:40 PM

Quote:

Zero deck 440 with SRP's flat-tops -6cc valve reliefs...MP 590, 75 cc Edelbrocks, Marine Fel-pro's...

O.k. thats a SIMPLE QUESTION !!!!.....no. I have clayed out a flat top ross, zero deck , 63 cc stage6 head @ 104 1.5 rocker. Found no problems.
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 11:26 PM

Quote:

Ahhh. You know better than this. Measuring at full lift won't yield results. The piston will be half way down the hole. He needs to measure 10 to 20 degrees before top dead center for the opening of the intake valve and 10 to 20 degrees after top dead center for the closing of the exhaust valve. Valve to piston clearance is only a concern during a 40 degree swing through overlap.

Here's another option that requires almost no tools. But, only works for flat top pistons. Take a CD or two and set it on top of the piston. A typical compact disc is .060" thick. So two CDs will equal .120". Now reassemble the engine, set lash at zero, and turn it over by hand nice and slow. If it stops then the valves are too close. Some trimming of the CD may be necessary to clear the quench area.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/30/13 11:56 PM

Quote:

the best way to check this with no tools is wedge the carb wide open stick our water hose in the carb start the motor. win it hit max rpm turn the water on full blast. win the engine stops the piston to valve will be just right

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ahhh. You know better than this. Measuring at full lift won't yield results. The piston will be half way down the hole. He needs to measure 10 to 20 degrees before top dead center for the opening of the intake valve and 10 to 20 degrees after top dead center for the closing of the exhaust valve. Valve to piston clearance is only a concern during a 40 degree swing through overlap.

Here's another option that requires almost no tools. But, only works for flat top pistons. Take a CD or two and set it on top of the piston. A typical compact disc is .060" thick. So two CDs will equal .120". Now reassemble the engine, set lash at zero, and turn it over by hand nice and slow. If it stops then the valves are too close. Some trimming of the CD may be necessary to clear the quench area.

I've only seen any issues within 10* either side of 0
but if it was even close I would have said something...
but I dont think its gonna be close so why say anything
but its a moot point since he isnt gonna check it

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the best way to check this with no tools is wedge the carb wide open stick our water hose in the carb start the motor. win it hit max rpm turn the water on full blast. win the engine stops the piston to valve will be just right

Holy chit, that`s hilarious................ I thaught and HOPE the cd thing was a joke...........

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 12:52 AM

Holy chit, that`s hilarious................ I thaught and HOPE the cd thing was a joke...........

If I was able to put some CDs in there I would just
clay it... JMO
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 01:02 AM

Since I hate to see a (possibly) good engine ruined, I suggest you just stick clay in the valve reliefs of your pistons, yes, this will require removing the heads and replacing head gaskets, reinstall the heads with the used (crushed) head gaskets, install your pushrods and rocker arms, adjust for zero lash and rotate the engine over a few times. Obviously, if the engine gets difficult to turn, don't get a bigger bar.
You need to understand that your question has no answer. Where is the cam installed at? What is your piston to deck clearance? How thick are the head gaskets? How big are the valve heads? How close to the deck surface of the heads are the valve heads? What rocker ratio? The only way to find the answer is to check it yourself or have someone with the tools do so.
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 01:08 AM

Quote:

If I was able to put some CDs in there I would just
clay it... JMO

Stupid? yes, but not a joke. I found myself assembling a 383 with flat tops a few years ago without clay or checking springs. So I started to look around the house for spacers. All I found were some unused CDR's. I measured them at .060" and thought...Hmmm, if it clears the disc's then it's good to go. It actually worked. Ya...no joke. I'm a genius!

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 01:14 AM

I guess 11second found his answer so he deleted the post..
hope his answer is right... best of luck to him

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 01:14 AM

Why not just use clay since you can get actual numbers instead of a "no-go" gauge............
Posted By: Sport440

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 03:04 AM

Quote:

fwiw.I've actually met Mike in the pits a few years back, seemed like a nice enough guy...my apologies to him for being so curt...

Yep, your first response was curt, but your apologie is good.
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 04:38 AM

I filled my valve relieves with clay on my last engine. Turn the crank over a few times, then measure the thickness of the clay where the valve hits it. You can do this without gasket too just to get a rough estimate. My engine never even touched the clay so I knew I was good. Hope that helps.
Alot of helpful and professional people on this board and not too many jerks. This isn't yellowbullet, so try a little harder to be respectful.

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 05:02 AM

I don't think he has the tool to install clay through the spark plug hole.
Posted By: rebel

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 09:30 AM

Quote:

I filled my valve relieves with clay on my last engine. Turn the crank over a few times, then measure the thickness of the clay where the valve hits it. You can do this without gasket too just to get a rough estimate. My engine never even touched the clay so I knew I was good. Hope that helps.

was doing exactly that last night, we had clipped a few valves so we looking for the touchy touchy bit but couldn't find any. guess we had valve float so new springs next season.

Attached picture 7725649-2013-05-3021.47.27.jpg

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 01:40 PM

Years ago I couldnt find my clay so I ended up using
my brothers chewing gum as the clay... worked fine
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 02:58 PM

Ive stolen the kids playdough before....
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

I guess 11second found his answer so he deleted the post..
hope his answer is right... best of luck to him

At least he's learned that deleting the first post of a thread does NOT delete the thread.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 04:10 PM

This post is typical of wanting help but not giving enough info to get the proper help. I personally hate texting and refuse to do business that way because I want to make sure everything is communicated properly. HOW DO YOU CHECK VALVE TO PISTON.
Can I run this cam? Well are the heads cut, or maybe the block?
Almost every engine and combo will be different.
I've only ever BLOCKED one person on this site "oldman"
But after his response he's on the fence.
Posted By: radar

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 04:53 PM

Haha funny thread! No chance of hijacking now...

Where do I apply to get into the moparts clique? If I am accepted will you send me the tool to clay test p/v clearance thru the plug hole? If I lick the clay and it's salty can I assume it's safe to eat? If I lick my windows will the factory tint start to wear thin?

I actually tried the water thing once on a ford 429, but forgot to rev it to the moon before hydro-locking it. I had a nice gas fire going and threw a handy trash can full of water on it in despiration for lack of a blanket. Saved the wires and hoses, trashed the oil. Shoulda taken a picture of my room mate's face when I cranked it over later and water shot out the plug holes!

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 05:07 PM

Speaking of water, watch the end of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RBRCaVjYrM
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 07:31 PM

Quote:

All I can say is wow. Thanks for the laugh.

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 08:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

All I can say is wow. Thanks for the laugh.

That guy should have his own show on TV. I would watch that one for sure.
Posted By: deaks

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 05/31/13 09:06 PM

As stupid as he is, i did feel sorry for him after looking at the pics of the burns.
Mick
Posted By: MattW

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 06/01/13 12:15 AM

Quote:

As stupid as he is, i did feel sorry for him after looking at the pics of the burns.
Mick

Man that brings back memories.
About 22 years ago replacing a friends 301 turbo Trans Am with a 400 Big Block. Trying to get it started. Notice a fuel leak and one spark plug wire was hanging. You can guess what happened next

We put the fire out. Using a hose with fuel on the garage floor is NOT GOOD.
We had a good scare.
Told him that why they call this cars "FIRECHICkEN"

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 06/03/13 05:02 AM

Quote:

I don't think the piston to valve was right he had some tools
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: P-V clearance with MP 590? - 06/03/13 07:24 AM

He went full retard. Never go full retard.
© 2024 Moparts Forums