Moparts

wheel spacers

Posted By: harborracer

wheel spacers - 05/28/13 04:19 AM

This subject has been up for debate here in the past as to whether or not wheel spacers are legal to use in both IHRA & NHRA racing.
So I wont ask if they are legal for use because I believe its been put to rest that spacers are legal.

So my question is for clearance purposes have any of you used spacers on your front wheels? For lack of better wording is it any less safe or less legal to use spacers on your front wheels ?

Thank you.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: wheel spacers - 05/28/13 05:09 AM

I did it on the front on a front end I made... I had
no problems.. it was a 1/4" spacer so the wheel would
clear the caliper
Posted By: jcc

Re: wheel spacers - 05/28/13 02:52 PM

Somewhat related, I know must severely shun wheels spacers, I wondered though, say on a hub with a dual pattern BC, would it be possible and beneficial to say bolt the spacer on with the unused wheel holes, making it much less like a conventional spacer and more like a thick hub? Any downside for this extra trouble?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: wheel spacers - 05/28/13 05:27 PM

Quote:

Somewhat related, I know must severely shun wheels spacers, I wondered though, say on a hub with a dual pattern BC, would it be possible and beneficial to say bolt the spacer on with the unused wheel holes, making it much less like a conventional spacer and more like a thick hub? Any downside for this extra trouble?

I wouldn't want a spacer that didn't have full contact to the back side of the wheel onto the brake calipers or hub, no pressure points on the center like I think your wanting to do
Posted By: jcc

Re: wheel spacers - 05/28/13 05:51 PM

To better explain, say on a common Wilwood front alum hub, it is common to have 4.5 and 4.75" BC fine thread, what if one needed a 1/2" spacer, and added a fine thread FLAT headed socket screw countersunk to attach the spacer to the hub with the unused tapped holes? I don't see any pressure points in this solution. Not sure if its ideal, but has to better then a floating spacer.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: wheel spacers - 05/28/13 06:44 PM

Quote:

To better explain, say on a common Wilwood front alum hub, it is common to have 4.5 and 4.75" BC fine thread, what if one needed a 1/2" spacer, and added a fine thread FLAT headed socket screw countersunk to attach the spacer to the hub with the unused tapped holes? I don't see any pressure points in this solution. Not sure if its ideal, but has to better then a floating spacer.

From what your saying is you just want to attach the
spacer BUT will still use the studs that are in the
hub to hold the wheel on(not a stud mounted in the
spacer).. if thats the case then its fine if the
counter sunk screws/bolts dont stick up past the flat
surface... I wouldnt use a stud mounted to the spacer
Posted By: Stanton

Re: wheel spacers - 05/28/13 10:40 PM

Spacers aren't the issue with regards to safety, it's the lug nut - which usually doesn't protrude into the spacer, therefore moving the shear point of the stud out and away from the hub. If the shoulder of the lug nut went through the spacer to the ponit where it normally would be then spacers wouldn't be an issue at all.
© 2024 Moparts Forums