Moparts

Indy headed SB oil question

Posted By: 412 SB Duster

Indy headed SB oil question - 05/24/13 02:15 PM

I had to switch blocks, old block had lifter bores bushed with no oil holes I added oil restrictors to the heads . New block the lifter bores are not bushed same heads. Pushrods are starting to get some color has to be a oil issue. First thing I'm thinking is remove the restrictors in the heads. What do you guys think.

Rockers are oiled through the shaft

Thanks
AL
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Indy headed SB oil question - 05/24/13 02:31 PM

Many small blocks are weak at topend oiling,take out the restricters and check all the oil passages including the bolt that has the oil supply and shaft for restriction.Make sure pushrod cup height is correct to catch the oil from the supply hole.Since you havent mentioned the type of cam,lifters and rockers there can be other issues and corrections.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Indy headed SB oil question - 05/24/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

I had to switch blocks, old block had lifter bores bushed with no oil holes I added oil restrictors to the heads . New block the lifter bores are not bushed same heads. Pushrods are starting to get some color has to be a oil issue. First thing I'm thinking is remove the restrictors in the heads. What do you guys think.

Rockers are oiled through the shaft

Thanks
AL

Is the radius on the PR ends proper to match up in
the rocker... you could be riding on the edges...
open up the restrictors
Posted By: 412 SB Duster

Re: Indy headed SB oil question - 05/24/13 05:29 PM

Thanks for the input, goes along with my thinking.
It has T&D rockers and its a roller cam. I primed the motor on the stand to check for proper oiling and the lifers didn't uncover the oil bands. Noticed a lot more oil in the valley Area with the lifter bores not being bushed. If I would of been thinking right I would of removed the oil restrictors from the heads then.
Also checked the pushrods and rockers with radius Gage's so I know that's all good.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Indy headed SB oil question - 05/24/13 05:51 PM

Make sure all the oil galley plugs are installed,we have seen the one in the lifter galley on the rear drivers side(inside the block) left out on a few builds.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Indy headed SB oil question - 05/25/13 01:29 PM

Check to make sure you have the shafts installed right. If they are upside down or the bolt hole where the oil feeds the shaft is not in place it will not oil.

I ran a restricter which was a 60 holley jet and no issues 8,500 RPM but Harland sharp rockers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums