Moparts

Pics of the diaper I made.

Posted By: rt66jim

Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 02:14 PM

I made card board templates and then traced them onto the fabric. It fits a Milodon pan.

Then I cut it out and my wife sewed it up for me.
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 02:31 PM

What material did you use?

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 03:06 PM

I used this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLISTIC-BLACK-...=item460f798fd9
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 03:13 PM

Nicest one I've ever seen!
Posted By: 64ssmax

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 03:40 PM

How much are you making them for??? Hint hint!

I would take one. seriously!

Brian

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 03:54 PM

Quote:

Thank you sir. Jim
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 04:44 PM

nice but i think depends would probably fit you just fine..
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 05:03 PM

Wow good job!I applaud people who take the time effert to make things and make them better in some cases.

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 05:05 PM

Quote:

nice but i think depends would probably fit you just fine..

Sometimes I think I need them. But most of the time not. Jim
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 05:05 PM

10 times nicer and better made than the 180.00 crap I bought from Russleri
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 05:08 PM

Just out of curiosity.. any idea how that material will hold up to the heat? specially when it gets close to headers...
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 05:33 PM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity.. any idea how that material will hold up to the heat? specially when it gets close to headers...

I don't know for certain...but since it is nylon I would say it would probably melt ~400°F...so, if it was too close to the headers you would probably have black goo.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

I will let him answer the question about the material he used but I called Jegs and asked about their J&J performance model. He asked, are the headers coated, in my case no, how close to the header? In my car I have one tube on my Headmen headers that I had to do some clearancing with a 4 pound hammer with the Milidon oil pan I used. He said I would have to clearance it some more and use header wrap or it would melt. Looks like my options are different oil pan, relocate one tube, or remove oil pan and modify. Not required for me right now so it looks like a Winter Project.

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 05:43 PM

Quote:

Well I wasn't sure about it myself. So I also purchased som of this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400439778196?item=400439778196&viewitem=&vxp=mtr To sew to the outside where it would be exposed to the most heat.

The one pictured is used on a car with fenderwells. Heat is not an issue for him. Jim
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you sir. Jim

That is nice..... I can appreciate people that make
stuff ... did your wife use a standard machine
or is it a heavy duty ... I figure its a very heavy
duty machine(maybe a commercial) to sew the straps on

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 06:48 PM

Actually Mike she used her home machine. But it is a Bernina that is almost 40 years old. Jim
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well I wasn't sure about it myself. So I also purchased som of this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400439778196?item=400439778196&viewitem=&vxp=mtr To sew to the outside where it would be exposed to the most heat.

The one pictured is used on a car with fenderwells. Heat is not an issue for him. Jim

Good idea, and nice work!
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/23/13 11:01 PM

Applause Given Here.....Very cool....both you and your wife both are very talented...major impressive !!!!!

Rickster
Posted By: reknapp52

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/24/13 02:12 AM

That's a really professional looking diaper--you should be proud of your handiwork. FWIW--I have a J&J diaper, the straps under the center exhaust ports started to show signs of melting, I wrapped them in the metallic tape that is used by HVAC contractors, solved the problem.

Attached picture 7716821-LebaronatTexasLODRS.jpg

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/24/13 03:47 AM

Thanks for all the positive replies. Maybe I need to go into business? I can see it now Diapers by Jim.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/24/13 04:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the positive replies. Maybe I need to go into business? I can see it now Diapers by Jim.

LOL...Awesome work! But the post above yours that said "awesome diaper" actually had me laughing...I must be immature, but it sounds funny LOL

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/24/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

This would probaly do the job.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_...CFW2oPAodQUMAmQ
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/25/13 02:57 PM

awesome work Jim...

I have a question:..do these need to be SFI compliant??...

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/25/13 04:31 PM

I have heard they need to be for the pro classes but not the sportsman.
http://www.enginediapers.com/
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/25/13 04:53 PM

thanks Jim..

What does an engine diaper do?
-When installed properly, an engine diaper (or lower engine containment device) will keep oil and debris from getting onto the track.
How hard is it to install?
-It’s very easy to install! Because we incorporated quick release buckles and 4 simple straps, they install simply and snugly around your engine.
Why do I need an engine diaper?
-First and foremost, safety. A DRE engine diaper is much cheaper than replacing a car. Having a DRE engine diaper also means less track downtime. And there are IHRA and NHRA requirements.
What diaper are Sportsman required to run?
-You are only required to run an NHRA accepted diaper, as per chart on NHRA Website.
What is SFI 7.2?
-NHRA has changed the rules. You do not need to run a SFI 7.2 diaper to any sportsman car.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/26/13 12:26 AM

Quote:

-You are only required to run an NHRA accepted diaper,

for sportsman there are no specs but it must be on the list. translation NHRA got paid to "inspect" an item that has no specification for safety or construction and add it to their approved list.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/26/13 12:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

-You are only required to run an NHRA accepted diaper,

for sportsman there are no specs but it must be on the list. translation NHRA got paid to "inspect" an item that has no specification for safety or construction and add it to their approved list.

If you make your own diaper it can only be used on cars that don't require them?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/26/13 08:04 PM

That looks like really nice work. If I had a sewing machine I might attempt it but I don't. I do have welders though so I think I'll make a belly pan instead.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/26/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

That looks like really nice work. If I had a sewing machine I might attempt it but I don't. I do have welders though so I think I'll make a belly pan instead.

the belly pan is so simple, I like the one on my arrow in fact I am going to extend it a little to cover the tranny.

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/26/13 10:30 PM

Pics.

Re: Pics of the diaper I made. - 05/26/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the belly pan is so simple, I like the one on my arrow in fact I am going to extend it a little to cover the tranny.

Is it SFI approved?
© 2024 Moparts Forums