Moparts

4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals.

Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 04:15 AM

stock pedal assembly...how are you setting up your clutch ?
mine keeps hanging up on the bottom.i lift my foot and the fulcrum of the stock pedal and spring..causes it to hang then release
timing a launch is aggravating ....how are you guys
setting up your pedal and clutch..?
i just put in new bushings but it still does it.
im not at all liking the action of this pedal assembly.

Attached picture 7703762-20130512_114725.jpg
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 04:24 AM

Is this an A body? What clutch type? Borg beck or diaphragm?

I was going thru this agrivation today also with a center force clutch. Mine didnt want to actuate until I had it maxed out where the rod would barely slip on the z bar.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 04:32 AM

How much free play do you have

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 04:49 AM

Quote:

can you explain free play? Im not sure i have any "free play" i adjusted it to just about zero lash at the throw out fork..
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 12:48 PM

How far down to the floor do you have to go to disengage the clutch? Are you reaching the over center point? Most drag cars I've seen usually set up an adjustable stop so the pedal only goes far enough to disengage the clutch. They'll weld a nut on one side of the pedal, in some spot where it won't tangle up with your feet, and thread a strong bolt thru it that contacts a welded in plate on the floor. There should be some free play at the top of the pedal travel (an inch or so) so that the fork isn't always pushing the throw out bearing against the fingers on the clutch, causing the bearing to always spin and thereby wearing it out prematurely. How far does the pedal move before you know you're sure the throw out bearing is touching the clutch fingers?
Posted By: 2qik4u

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 01:49 PM

Do you have a factory set-up? If not I'd check to make sure you have the correct fork, the 12" for sb or the 10.5" for bb. The angle of the rod between the z bar and fork can make things difficult with the wrong parts. If that is good make sure the return spring on the peddel and the return spring on the fork are good. I've seen carpet hang up where the rod passes through the firewall affect release.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

can you explain free play? Im not sure i have any "free play" i adjusted it to just about zero lash at the throw out fork..

The amount of pedal travel at the top... if you press
the pedal it moves about 1" before the assembly starts
to bring the throw out bearing into contact with the
clutch fingers... it you give it a bit more free
play you wont press the fingers down as far.. but
too much and the rod can fall out at the fork... we
use to put a spring from the fork to the Z bar to
keep the rod from falling out ... but I would think
you just have the wrong fork... look at the rod going
to the fork... is it straight in line or on a angle
NOTE.. I only ever had this happen on a diaphragm
type plate.... if all else fails you can change the
ratio on the Z-bar arm that holds the rod going to
the fork(shorten the point where the rod mounts)
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 05/13/13 02:51 PM

Make sure you have the correct pivot in bellhousing.

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/28/13 02:44 PM

thanks im going to try a bunch of your suggestions.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/28/13 02:48 PM

I use a .055 air gap. What is your setup made up of?

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/28/13 02:59 PM

as far as i can tell its all stock stuff..
i pulled the heads and havent fiddled with the linkage..but will soon be looking it over.
I just received the rebuilt heads...so i can get it up and running again.
its a street car in a demon ..something my 16 yr old son may be driving on occasion..
he was having a hell of a time letting out the clutch with this situation..
this is my first A body with a 4 spd. not real intimate with the parts on this body style.
ill be checking them out..it may be hodge podged together?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/28/13 09:59 PM

I like to have around .060 clutch peddle travel to the fingers on the pressure plate, pull the dust cover plate off of your bellhousing and check yours If you have a diaphram clutch instead of the OEM type Borg and Beck you may need to limit the clutch peddle down travel, the diaphram clutch pressure plates are famous for sticking to the floor when the motor is revved up beyond 5000 RPM when speed shifting I know racers who have used 2x4 boards bolted to the floor under the carpet under thier clutch pedals to limit the peddle down travel
Posted By: lowflyingdart

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/29/13 01:57 AM

Take out the over-center spring. It is the large spring under the dash, attached to the clutch pedal.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/29/13 02:24 PM

remove the clutch cover on the bellhousing

have a helper floor the clutch pedal.

measure the total seperation between the clutch disk and the flywheel with the disc tight against the pressure plate

This distance should be no more than .055

It is probably a lot more - to reduce it, add an adjustible stop under the clutch pedal to limit travel, or increase the free play in the linkage. This is a matter of preference, either will work, but it changes where your engagement point is in the pedal travel: high or low. There is nothing really wrong with excessive free play IF the overcenter spring is removed from under the dash.

Also, like larry said, take out the spring under the dash. To do that without loosing body parts, push the pedal down to stretch the spring. Put a fender washer between each coil, release the pedal, that will clamp the washers between the coils and hold the spring streched so it is easy to remove.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/29/13 03:17 PM

How is your motor mounts? how much clearance do you have where the linkage oes through the floor. If your engine is twisting it could be binding the linkage.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: 4spd guys how do you set up your clutch pedals. - 07/29/13 04:04 PM

Same thing happened to me. TAKE THE HELPER SPRING THAT IS UNDER THE DASH OUT, PERIOD! It will never happen again.
Mine has not done it sence.

© 2024 Moparts Forums