Moparts

Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire

Posted By: Leon441

Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/05/13 06:39 PM

I currently have MT drag race front runners on the car. They come with "Not for Street Use" all over them. I have been able to sneak around on them for years. Before that I ran a MT Sportsman front. Tire performed Ok just looked odd.

I ran the old Bias Volkswagon tires for years when they were still readily available. Pretty sure I made some 150 MPH runs on them.

I see Coker has a Pro Trac 560-15 that looks to be the same as what we used to call the VW tire. Has anyone ran this tire? What kind of MPH do you run in the quarter or have you been up to on the street with no issues?

I refuse to run a radial on the front with a Bias slick style tire on the rear. But, need something a little better than the ET front for street use during DRAGWEEK.

Leon
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/05/13 08:20 PM

I bought a road tire for the front but after having
them on I'm not happy with the width of them... I wanted
a road tire with a good speed rating(these are rated
to 135 but they are close on a full turn so I think
I will get something a bit narrower for clearance AND
less drag.... I dont recall what the Coker tire was
but I did look at them but they didnt have the speed
rating I wanted
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/05/13 08:33 PM

i think the MT sportmans are a good frontrunner for the street,lots of racecars that end up on the street have short suspensiontravel and this is where a flexible fronttire is of advantage since they eat up bad bumbs and such alot better than radials do,they are also safe at higher speeds at the track. a friend of mine ran something similar to volkswagen tires on the front of his malibu,yes its a much heavier car but those tires did not seem to appreciate the higher speeds at the track at all,he tried it more than once and they ended up with broken cords on the sides of the tires.

the softer frontrunners are also better if you come down alitle hard from a wheelstand.

and its never a good idea to mix radials and diagonals,my duster absolutely hates radialfronts and diagonal rears get insane squirely when there is grooves in the road,on the edge of dangerous.

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/05/13 09:58 PM

I hear many run the ET front during DRAGWEEK. Wonder if their message on their tires lost some letters like mine did?

Leon
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/06/13 12:40 AM

I have the Pro-Tracs on the front of my Savoy with ET street radials on the rear with ZERO handling issues on the street or strip.I chose them for the nostalgic look and they are tall enough to keep my oil pan off the street
I have only had them about 135 on the street and 127 on the track.
Gus

Attached picture 7695117-mysavoy.jpg

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/06/13 01:00 AM

That's a big car.

My car only weighs 3,000 would you feel OK with them Pro Tracks at say 155 MPH?

Leon
Posted By: Fast Yeti

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/06/13 01:27 AM

Leon, I think Jim/572Charger runs them on his car and his car weighs 3800 or 3900 lbs. he street drives his car and has been over 150 mph. I had them on my car for a while a and they drove well but are heavy for a front runner if weight is a concern.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/06/13 05:35 AM

My brother ran them on his 1967 Coronet, he loved them.
He was 125mph in the 1/4
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/06/13 11:58 PM

FWIW I ran radial fronts w/out handling issues w/bias rears but wanted to remove weight so I bought my buddys used MT et`s and they are fine street/strip and 12+ lbs lighter for the pair...........

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/07/13 01:50 AM

I sold soft street tires for years. Back when these front tires were available at local tire shops. McCreary's were my hotest seller. I sold to everybody local who was just getting into racing with a street car. Back then inspection stations were not allowed to give you a pass in VA with radials on the front and bias on the rear. I knew full well about this. But, the Mustang crowd did not like the MT sportsman fronts nor did they like the old school 5.60-15 tires. Freinds who had Mustangs told me I was nutz and said they had no issues with the radials. So I backed off and quit telling people what to run on the front.

A guy showed up with skinnys on the front and wides on the rear. All radial. He wanted some sticky tires for the rear. Money was no object and back then ET streets were for serious racers or people with deep pockets. But, that is what he wanted. I never said a word. This guy complained and complained. Bad mouthed me all over town. I then found out this car was purchased with settlement money to begin with. I was never so releived when he blew the motor and sold the car.

Leon

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/07/13 03:12 AM

Quote:

That's a big car.

My car only weighs 3,000 would you feel OK with them Pro Tracks at say 155 MPH?

Leon

My car is 3560# so I would think they would be OK on your car
Even when I am heavy on the brakes at tracks with short shut-down areas they handle good when most of the weight is on the nose
They balanced out nice when I mounted them so the carcass is pretty uniform.
Gus

Attached picture 7696597-020.JPG
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/07/13 03:19 AM

Speed rating is not for a BURST of speed

its for sustained speed

Not like an alarm clock that will go off if you go

over the rating

The amount of time the tire would see the max speed would be in the 10's of 1,000ths of 2nds

But, I could be crazy too
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/07/13 06:59 AM

Don't know if you have this info..

http://www.arizonaautoscene.com/archives/13363

http://www.cokertire.com/

Chris..
Posted By: ADakotaRTGuy

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/07/13 07:41 AM

Been running the Firestone champion tire on the fronts. 500/525 but in a 16 inch wheel. They have them in 15's, but really steady on the track with slicks. Been 124 with the Heavy Dakota and no issues. They come stock on the Viper drag packs from CCW.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/08/13 11:34 AM

they work great i been using them since 1999 ! they look like drag tire but are dot approved more side wall than a drag tire i use bias tires on the rear !( et streets) don't think id use them with drag radial mine is 3910 lbs i have 215 75 15 taller to keep my oil pan off the road !!
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/09/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

I have the Pro-Tracs on the front of my Savoy with ET street radials on the rear with ZERO handling issues on the street or strip.I chose them for the nostalgic look and they are tall enough to keep my oil pan off the street
Gus

Shouldn't that guy in the left rear seat, looking over your shoulder, be wearing a helmet?
Posted By: Cincylance

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/09/13 03:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Shouldn't that guy in the left rear seat, looking over your shoulder, be wearing a helmet?

Oh man, that made me laugh out loud.

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/10/13 02:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Oh man, that made me laugh out loud.

No my car is slow enough he won't need a helmet
Gus

Attached picture 7699836-5434258-READY2.JPG
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/17/13 03:49 AM

How much are the Pro-tracs?????? I need some front tires for my duster....shoot,ill buy a good used set if anyone has any?????

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/17/13 04:31 PM

$150 a peice
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/17/13 07:51 PM

Thanks.

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/17/13 08:52 PM

What sizes does this Pro-Trac come in

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/18/13 09:15 PM

5.60-15

I fixed it. Sorry for the typo
Posted By: Jamie McGrath

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/18/13 11:56 PM

Quote:

5.60-16

????????? I remember them as being 5.60-15.

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/19/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

5.60-16

????????? I remember them as being 5.60-15.

It is 5.60-15 thanks guys... I gotta see if they will fit
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Pro-trac front runners from Coker Tire - 05/19/13 08:13 PM

I have about 4,000 street miles on my Moroso front runners...part #17100. They have good tread for water. My car weighs 3800 ish but only runs 130 mph.
© 2024 Moparts Forums