Moparts

Drag Week

Posted By: dannysbee

Drag Week - 04/24/13 03:56 PM

Are we all getting so soft that we have to have overdrives and air conditioning in our drag week entry's? I have driven thousands of miles at 70 mph with 3.23 and a 26" tall tire and no air. I would think a 3.55 and a 28" tire would be comparable. To be sure I am also spoiled to air conditioning but its drag week not drag year. To me doing it in a vehicle without all the comforts would be part of the challenge. Just interested in others thoughts on this.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 04:25 PM

who has AC?

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 06:02 PM

As of now not many on here but there has been talk. I just just don't think creature comforts are in the spirit of what drag week was started for. Just my take on things. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 06:08 PM

Quote:

Are we all getting so soft that we have to have overdrives and air conditioning in our drag week entry's? I have driven thousands of miles at 70 mph with 3.23 and a 26" tall tire and no air. I would think a 3.55 and a 28" tire would be comparable. To be sure I am also spoiled to air conditioning but its drag week not drag year. To me doing it in a vehicle without all the comforts would be part of the challenge. Just interested in others thoughts on this.

No A/C here.... and why not run OD... all its doing
is saving wear and tear on the engine... as for the
comfort... you are giving up being lighter but again
why not have some comfortable seats... basically I
have the stock interior in my Rampage... I was looking
at some race type seats but they are taller than I
wanted and I only have X amount of width to play in
so its the stock ones for now
Also on the OD... when I'm out on the E-way I like
to run about 80 so thats about 3000 rpm in OD... for
the city I dont need to run it or I can leave it on
but the OD cant take the hard accelerations
EDIT
I'm running a 4.10 gear with 28" tires
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 06:46 PM

Quote:

As of now not many on here but there has been talk.

Because they’re interested in slowing their cars down?

In any event, Drag Week is made for “street cars” and street cars, in a lot of situations DO have A/C so I don’t see a problem with it!

...ditto OD
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 08:08 PM

I'm planning to hit Drag Week with my '31 Plymouth coupe hot rod, and it won't have air or overdrive. No creature comforts, just the bare essentials.
I'm going with a 4 speed with 1:1 4th gear, 3.70 rear gears, and 30" tires. At least to start out. It's big compromise, the gearing is not ideal for either street or strip, but somewhere in between. I'm open to swapping in some type of overdrive later.
But not A/C - Hemis don't look right with an AC compressor hanging off them, and they weigh too much. This is a hot rod, not a limosene.

Posted By: BBR

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 08:19 PM

3.55's, 28" tire, no A/C but I sure do love my T-tops!

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 08:34 PM

Quote:

All I have is 2/40 air... 2 windows down at 40 mph
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 09:30 PM

3800RPM for hours and hours last year. No AC here
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 09:43 PM

Quote:

yes, it's called getting old and wanting to be comfortable..
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 09:44 PM

Quote:

who has AC?

i will have

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

3800 gives you what kind of speed... but thats why
I went to a OD... cut the revs down and hopefully
get me a little better mileage
EDIT
plus if I can keep the revs down I can hear my stereo better
Posted By: ksj

Re: Drag Week - 04/24/13 10:18 PM

Quote:

Until it rains
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 03:19 AM

Last year I ran Dragweek with 3.73s and a 28 inch tire.
This year my car will have 4.56s in it, in fact I ordered the parts for the new third member today from Doc Diff.
I do not have an OD or power brakes or steering but I do have wipers,heater,CD player.
It seems like Hot Rod likes to make you drive for the most part on two lane roads and thought small towns so speeds are not that high and for me I like to enjoy the drive since that is by far the biggest part of DW, making passes at each track is the easy part.

My car is a street car I drive it alot, last week I drove it to work three time[24 mile round trip] taking it tomorrow also.

Attached picture 7681595-drag-week-2012-final-day-saturday-tulsa-7519-650x487.jpg

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 03:50 AM

Would you run OD if it was handed to you... 4.56 and
a 28" tire... let me know how you feel about them at
the end of the week... you shouldnt have much issue
if we do spent most of the time on the 2 laners..
if we do get on the E-way I guess you just cruise..
what times are you gonna run and what class

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 04:19 AM

Quote:

Would you run OD if it was handed to you... 4.56 and
a 28" tire... let me know how you feel about them at
the end of the week... you shouldnt have much issue
if we do spent most of the time on the 2 laners..
if we do get on the E-way I guess you just cruise..
what times are you gonna run and what class

I consided putting an OD drive in the car when I put the car together, bought a 3.23 third member instead.
You are right Mike the 56s may get a little long in the tooth at times but my plan is to make my pass as soon as i can, buy a T-shirt take some pics of all the cool cars each day then hit the road and have all day to get the next track and enjoy the drive. Of course I will be running with MoparBilly so all my plans may be out the window on the first day.
My goal this year is to run solid 10s all week and with the 3.73 the motor goes though the traps at 5400RPMs way to low.
The class is SB/NA and I will get my butt kicked real bad. LOL
Jake must have 10,000 dollars more in his SB chevy than I have in my car.

Attached picture 7681693-drag-week-2012-final-day-saturday-tulsa-7520-650x487.jpg

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 04:32 AM

Yeah if you have to go up against Jake it COULD be
a long road.. but he has to make the end of the week
also... so theres always some hope... I think I set
my ride up to run 10.0 or 10.1 but I have to run DD
so its a 10.80 car now
EDIT
My buddy Dale and I plan on the same thing... make a
pass and head out... I want to do some site seeing..
for me to get the time I want, its a matter of moving
the shift point up or down a couple hundred rpm so
I should have that figured out on the Saturday when
we get there in TNT then I can adjust per the weather

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 05:17 AM

There was four guys last year that beat me like a unwanted redheaded step child,one of those guys goes by the name Mike Crow he drives a stick car and shifts it like Ronny Sox. Another one was a 100.000 dollar Z06 corvette that they could not use the A/C because the car would over heat.oh ya also a fox body mustang.
Looking forward to meeting you at DW Mike.

Attached picture 7681761-drag-week-2012-thursday-gallery-memphis-7030-650x433.jpg

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 05:40 AM

Yeah I know Mike... last year he ran his Dart right..
when I meet him back in 09 he was running his Cuda
and yeah he can shift... I thought the Cuda was a auto
the way he shifted it... he IS the fastest shifter I've
ever seen and yes I would have put him up against
Ronny Sox... yeah I want to meet a few of the guys
from here... I dont get much of a chance to meet the
guys from out west

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 05:50 AM

Lets just say Jake will be surprised.Do not play poker with Mike Crow.Mike has dipped into his stash. Ive been sworn to secrecy.Love your Dart.Cant wait to check out the Rampage too.Is it Sept.?Cruising with the "Billy clan"? That's an experience in itself. LOL!!

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 05:56 AM

Quote:

Lets just say Jake will be surprised.Do not play poker with Mike Crow.Mike has dipped into his stash. Ive been sworn to secrecy.Love your Dart.Cant wait to check out the Rampage too.Is it Sept.?Cruising with the "Billy clan"? That's an experience in itself. LOL!!

Isnt Mike running his W-9 on DW in the dart

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 06:06 AM

Yes.Hes been very conservative.Time to step it up abit. Hopefully Jake wont know what hit him. LOL.Love Jake like a brother but he woke someone up. If I could just talk Crow into running slicks rather than Drag Radials.I understand Mikes reasoning so I don't even bring it up anymore.

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 06:19 AM

Quote:

Yes.Hes been very conservative.Time to step it up abit. Hopefully Jake wont know what hit him. LOL.Love Jake like a brother but he woke someone up. If I could just talk Crow into running slicks rather than Drag Radials.I understand Mikes reasoning so I don't even bring it up anymore.

I havent seen the Dart except a pic on BS but is it
a stick car also.. I know Mike likes them.. I know
a couple of the guys over there give him sh1t about
him running a cup engine... but like I said today
over there its just a sprint car head... aint no cup
about it

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 01:16 PM

Dart has the Cudas drivetrain in it.His smaller spare motor is now in the cuda.Here is a video from Tulsa last year taken by Jake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IgKCwzxJB0
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

3800 gives you what kind of speed... but thats why
I went to a OD... cut the revs down and hopefully
get me a little better mileage
EDIT
plus if I can keep the revs down I can hear my stereo better

70ish on flat land. I really only ran that much on the last day because I didn't want to die on I-40 and it had a vibration where I really wanted to cruise.

This year i will have a new drive shaft, the ride height change with the car loaded down brought on a pretty nasty vibe that I didn't plan for. I didn't do any testing with the car loaded other than the "is this all going to fit" test.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 01:34 PM

Would love to build an engine like Steff's and put it in my Cuda and run this on the east coast...Looks like fun & a ton of work.
Posted By: BBR

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Until it rains

That's what 3M blue tape was made for! To keep my seat dry!
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 07:00 PM

4.44 gear, 28 tire and 727, no overdrive with a loose converter. Was about 32-3500 for most of the drive. No air or heat.

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 08:55 PM

Quote:

4.44 gear, 28 tire and 727, no overdrive with a loose converter. Was about 32-3500 for most of the drive. No air or heat.

That's definitely hard core.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Drag Week - 04/25/13 11:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's definitely hard core.

Lol sounds like my usual setup
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: Drag Week - 04/26/13 12:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KczTbXz7WM&feature=youtu.be

Re: Drag Week - 04/26/13 02:11 AM

70ish on flat land. I really only ran that much on the last day because I didn't want to die on I-40 and it had a vibration where I really wanted to cruise.

This year i will have a new drive shaft, the ride height change with the car loaded down brought on a pretty nasty vibe that I didn't plan for. I didn't do any testing with the car loaded other than the "is this all going to fit" test.

I might have 1 issue.. I am running a 5000 stall
conv and in OD it might heat up if I'm not rolling
fast enough... I'll find out with some testing...
plus I'm gonna haul a little trailer... its gonna
be low and tuck in behind the truck so thats added
drag(heat)...but I can always turn off the OD
Posted By: furious70

Re: Drag Week - 04/26/13 10:29 PM

If I was going to be running with Billy and the fam I'd want a 2.44 final gear just in case heroic measures during the drive were required. Or should we say WHEN, not in case? =)
© 2024 Moparts Forums