Moparts

How many here actually.....

Posted By: dartman366

How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:02 PM

torque their lug nuts on their cars, drag or street driven? , never did before but I am thinking about doing it with the new wheels.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:04 PM

I do. Just did the other day.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:05 PM

Been doing it for years and yes we periodically check them as well.
Posted By: mopar dave

i'v always torqued lug nuts on my cars to 80ftlb. need had any loosen.
Posted By: Moparteacher

I torque the lug nuts on everything. When over-tightened, the rotor or hub can warp causing brake issues along with the usual problems of stretching, galling, and wheel damage.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:06 PM

Yes sir! Especially the rear every time before a day of racing 100 ft lbs.
Posted By: moper

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:07 PM

I always start them by hand, seat them with the impact, but final torque is using the torque wrench. I use 100lbs but that's just me...lol.
Posted By: pattyboy 572

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:08 PM

Front and back every outing usually before it goes up trailer....fronts as well (with tire pressure check)
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:13 PM

Nope... I have checked them a couple of times after
I ran them on with the impact... give it a couple of
rattles with the impact then checked... most of the
times its within 5-10 ft lbs of the so called spec...
close enough for me
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:21 PM

We check the race cars,trailers and trucks(aluminium wheels)constantly.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:36 PM

I always do on everything !
Posted By: 340B5

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:40 PM

I do. Drag car checked every spring and maybe once or twice during summer and street cars torqued and re-torqued after 25 miles.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 06:58 PM

Quote:

We check the race cars,trailers and trucks(aluminium wheels)constantly

As do I.
Posted By: BobR

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 07:11 PM

I rotate the slicks every 2 passes. I use a torque wrench to tighten every time I rotate.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 07:15 PM

On older vehicles with steel wheels and drum brakes I generally use a good size 4-way and muscle up. On newer stuff with discs and especially with aluminum wheels I use a torque wrench at 100 ft.lbs. assuming the standard 1/2 in. fine thread lugs. I'll recheck about 50 miles or so after the initial tighening and everytime before an autocross.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 07:25 PM

Most aluminium race cars and trailer wheels recommend 85 ft/#
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 07:30 PM

I do, I torque everything suspension and brake related. It just eases my mind when I'm driving the car right after something goes back together.

I find I always over-torque the lug nuts and caliper bolts to avoid them coming lose if I don't use the torque wrench.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 07:40 PM

Got trained to use the torque wrench on a '91 Taurus. If the nuts weren't torqued properly, the rotor was sure to warp.

R.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 08:19 PM

Quote:

torque their lug nuts on their cars, street driven?

Always have, always will...
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 08:28 PM

every car, every wheel, every time.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 08:57 PM

I swap rear slicks & check/adjust the rear brakes after every racing weekend, but I don't use a torque wrench. I don't think I over-torque them, but after years of tightening & loosening them by hand, I broke my 4-way!
(Cheap China junk that apparently everybody sells.)
So now I carry a spare.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

every car, every wheel, every time.

it's my security blanket.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 09:20 PM

i torque everything.
Posted By: topside

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 09:24 PM

Heck yeah; I've done it so many times that I can feel 75 ft/lbs, but I check it anyway.
On "mag"-wheel cars & my trailer, I check 'em periodically; though I've never had a loose-wheel problem, I like to keep it that way.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 09:31 PM

I still use old school Cragar Super Tricks from the early seventies. Cragar was big on torquing those to 55 lbs...so I got into the habit and never stopped.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 09:56 PM

absolutely
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 10:48 PM

Never used to on factory steel wheels that have that raised shoulder that will provide a bit of compression applied back to the lugnut. Never had a problem but I was probably applying at least 85ft/lbs or more. Factory Mopar wheels don't have that shoulder, so those would get torqued. In the last few years, I now break out the torque wrench on everything just to be sure.

Have always retorqued any mag-style wheel. They are notorious for loosening.

Lately, I torqued my factory aluminum wheels to the specified 100 ft/lbs and the stud broke free in the hub!! I guess I shouldn't have shot that WD-40 on it. Next time, after I fix it, I'll lower the spec to 85 ft/lbs.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 10:57 PM

I torque
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 11:09 PM

105ft/lbs on my 1/2" studs on the Dart. I do 140 ft/lbs on the 9/16" studs on my trucks. I do this to eliminate the need to re-check them.
Posted By: MFR426

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 11:12 PM

We torque every vehicle we have including the garden tractor!
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 11:12 PM

I started torquing then about 15 years ago when I was working as a repairman at Chrysler's Ram assembly plant.

It was required after removing any wheel for a repair. They wanted the torque verified and recorded.

Now I do it every time I take r&r a wheel on every vehicle.

I've seen too many weak impacts over the years.
Posted By: mopartony

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 11:21 PM

Everytime I take the car to the track. When I crewed the fast cars, sub 7 seconds, every pass. Especially after shake....
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 11:25 PM

Yes and on everything I can . without the wrench I break stuff.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 11:36 PM

I torque everything before and after each race!The day after the race I clean everything up from front-back,bottom-top and torque everything.I have a pre race check list,to make sure everything gets checked!I torque my rear wheels at 100 lbs also.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/16/13 11:41 PM

I torque when installing or changing on all vehicles, and on the race car I re-check every 2-3 rounds, front and rear. With the Weld ProStars I follow their recommendation of 85 lbs/ft on the front 1/2" studs, and 135 lbs/ft on the rear 5/8" studs.
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 12:09 AM

who uses a little antisieze or oil on the lugs?
Posted By: Duner

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 12:17 AM

I use anti-seize on mine and have a finely calibrated 4-way lug wrench.... but double check them fairly often in true OCD fashion.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 12:32 AM

Quote:

who uses a little antiseize or oil on the lugs?

Once a year, I hit the lugs with a little penetrating oil...
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 12:42 AM

What are you talking about.. You KNOW we are all perfect on here,,,NO body on HERE would race without torquing their nuts..
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 12:55 AM

Never have but do check them for tightness from time to time ........ if I remember to what was the question

Russ
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 03:45 AM

Nope, check them before each race with a 20" breaker bar. 5/8 studs, 4 wheel disc, never any warping. Checked once with a torque wrench and I was right there so I never used it again. No on the anti seize, collects to much dirt/grime. When it comes apart for new rubber if they feel dry I give a very very light coat of 10 wt.

Attached picture 7670999-pomona.jpg
Posted By: 440W8 Duster

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 04:08 AM

check them before each race torque to 125 lbs 5/8 stud.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 05:46 AM

I ALWAYS use a torque wrench! for wheel studs and anytime I can get one on any bolt or nut on the car.
Posted By: Butch

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 11:00 AM

Every race day in the am and the trailer before every use. Cheap insurance and piece of mind.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 12:45 PM

Quote:

Nope... I have checked them a couple of times after
I ran them on with the impact... give it a couple of
rattles with the impact then checked... most of the
times its within 5-10 ft lbs of the so called spec...
close enough for me

thats how i do it.after 2,000 street miles,and numerous trips down the quarter checked em just because and they were still tighter than a fat girls sock.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 01:51 PM

We check them with torque wrench after every run, religiously.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 02:32 PM

I found a loose lug nut on my Weld wheels using 1/2 inch studs years ago, not long after putting the wheels on. Some wheels use washers that deform when torqued, and keep deforming during use loosening up. I retorque often.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 03:24 PM

What lugnuts? Lol I'm kind of on the P body system I guess
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 04:04 PM

Part 2 of this question if I may: How many of you use anti seize or something else when putting them on?

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

Part 2 of this question if I may: How many of you use anti seize or something else when putting them on?

I use a couple drops of oil.. thats all

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 05:29 PM

Quote:

What lugnuts? Lol I'm kind of on the P body system I guess

They were standard lug nuts for weld wheels that used a washer aprox 3/16 inch thick. The steel in those washers was extremely soft.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 05:44 PM

I anti seize them a lot. threads and outside !
Posted By: dartman366

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/17/13 06:48 PM

Got an old but accurate Craftsman torque wrench as a spare,, guess it gets loaded in the trailer for track use, thanks guys.
Posted By: 70Dart499

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/18/13 10:58 PM

I tourque them, its better to be safe than sorry. I have had wheel studs bend from wheels not being tightened completely. By torquing them and checking them periodically, I know they are tight.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/19/13 03:07 AM

Quote:

Yes sir! Especially the rear every time before a day of racing 100 ft lbs.

x2

I torque lug nuts on everything, the race car, the trailer, the boat trailer, the truck and even the wife's Durango.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/19/13 05:39 PM

I always torque everything. I have also had the crappy washers that keep deforming and eventually they wont torque. I torque my Drag lites to 80 ft lbs and my 1 ton I torque to 140. I dont always torque the rod and mains because I have a pretty good feel with my clicking elbo.

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/19/13 05:47 PM

It amazes me that I never seen any one at the track
pull out a torque wrench after they had their wheels
off... I have a big suspicion, theres a lot of BSing
going on here
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/19/13 06:37 PM

Quote:

It amazes me that I never seen any one at the track
pull out a torque wrench after they had their wheels
off... I have a big suspicion, theres a lot of BSing
going on here

I had 6 guys helping me race, Scott did the tires. He took them off almost every run so we could work around the car. He also did the air, kept the tires covered, checked them with a torque wrench every run even if we didn't take the tires off. He also did the fuel and lot's of other stuff each round. We had a routine and stuck to it.

I have 2 torque wrenches in my tool tray another in our tire tool tray as there is a lot torquing going between rounds in TAD.

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/19/13 06:57 PM

I had 6 guys helping me race, Scott did the tires. He took them off almost every run so we could work around the car. He also did the air, kept the tires covered, checked them with a torque wrench every run even if we didn't take the tires off. He also did the fuel and lot's of other stuff each round. We had a routine and stuck to it.

I have 2 torque wrenches in my tool tray another in our tire tool tray as there is a lot torquing going between rounds in TAD.

That may be very true with a 6 man crew... but the
guy that does it all by himself... I'm not buying
it for the most part.. I know for myself that if I'm
at the track I either use the impact or a ratchet with
a cheater bar on it
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/19/13 07:27 PM

I always torque wheels, usually use anti seeze on dailies and moly lube on racecars. Ive seen way to many loose bolts while using impacts. really its just for piece of mind.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/19/13 07:50 PM

Quote:

torque their lug nuts on their cars, drag or street driven?

Been doing it for at least 30 years, maybe more. I do it on my Roadrunner, my other vehicles plus my friends and family cars/trucks.
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/20/13 04:07 PM

Quote:

I use a little wheel bearing grease. Me & Never-Seize do not get along very well. I usally look like the Tin Man after I get done using that stuff.
Does any know if the spec'ed torqued settings are a dry spec or wet spec? Big difference as I learned along time ago at work when installing the shafts in our Hyd. Presses at work. Can change specs up to 50 lbs on some of your larger fastners. Most "standard" specs are wet or lubricated spec. We build some Brake Wheel Assemblies for the mining industry at work that has a tappered bore with a nut that is spec'ed to a 3,000 ft/lb at final ass'y (2.25-8N class A thread with 4.0" nut)Engineering specs 3,000 ft/lb wet, 3,500 lb/ft dry
That is one long azz breaker bar. lol (we have a hyd tourque wrench)

I am impact kinda guy. Double check with breaker bar if I take off tires for the next two passes. I do not rotate my rear tires. Tire man says do not rotate my rear tires.

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/20/13 04:20 PM

I forgot to mention that after switching to 5/8 studs, retorquing seldom showed any needing attention. My wheels now use a huge nut about 1 1/4 wide, clamping against a 1/2 inch thick washer of the same diameter. A MUCH better deal!

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/20/13 04:31 PM

Quote:

I forgot to mention that after switching to 5/8 studs, retorquing seldom showed any needing attention. My wheels now use a huge nut about 1 1/4 wide, clamping against a 1/2 inch thick washer of the same diameter. A MUCH better deal!

Thats the set up I have on the race car.. the Rampage
has 1/2" studs(long ones cut down to fit my lug nuts)
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/20/13 04:34 PM

Years ago I checked my IR impact on setting "1" and those lug nuts checked close to 100 ft-lbs. After several years I just used that impact gun. But on aluminum wheels I always use the torque wrench. And now I find it more comfortable to use the torque wrench on everything.

It is worth rechecking wheels after the first pass to make sure they are still tight. After that they seem to hold torque.
Posted By: jcc

Re: How many here actually..... - 04/20/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

torque their lug nuts on their cars, drag or street driven? , never did before but I am thinking about doing it with the new wheels.

I confess I have not read the entire thread, related question I would like to know, how many have checked non torque wrenched lug nuts to see how accurate their tightening was? And now use a torque wrench?
© 2024 Moparts Forums