Moparts

Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms

Posted By: MoParFish

Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/11/13 03:47 PM

OK, I'm sure this has been covered before but, just throwin it out there before I pony up for new rockers... Being that Harland Sharps and T&Ds are both just over a grand for the Victors, is there any reason NOT to go with T&Ds ??
(512 Victor MW solid roller .674 lift with 1.6s Pac springs 240seat 625open .200 offset lifters). Haven't completely ruled out Hughes either but T&D offers a .725 intake offset vs Hughes .600... Thanks...

Attached picture 7663819-vegas12.jpg
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/11/13 03:54 PM

I only needed the intake rockers having used HS allready on iron heads and that saved me some $$.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/11/13 04:05 PM

Go with T&D and don't look back. They are as nice as they get when it comes to quality. They also have the best adjuster around, ball-ball pushrod and it oil the pushrod directly at the tip through the adjuster.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you do.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/11/13 04:22 PM

Are you looking at the single shaft(conventional mopar)
or the multi shaft... its hard to beat T&D rockers...
I dont know what offset you need to fit your heads...
but all I run now days is T&D rockers
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/11/13 05:12 PM

I have used both and both are quality pieces.
But T&D are definitely a cut above in my opinion.
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/11/13 05:52 PM

Was looking at the Hughes myself as I've got some standard port Victors in the closet. Don't really recall hearing anyone breaking Hughes rockers.

Anyone had bad experiences with Hughes rockers?
Posted By: Efidart

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/11/13 09:46 PM

I had lots of problems with Hughes on victors was running 275 seat and 625 open pressure. Ended up getting them bushed and still having failrues. Went to Harland Sharps and never looked back. This is a turbo application so its a bit harder on rockers. Made 1500RWHP on victors so far, but they are pretty much at their limit.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/12/13 12:21 AM

I have had these Hughes rockers on my EZ heads sinve 2011 with good results. But these are not the offset rockers. My brother has run Hughes for years also with no trouble but his also are not the offset ones.
Just curious what the offset Harland Sharp and T & D's go for as compared to Hughes ? But you have to use what works for you. Ron

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/12/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

Are you looking at the single shaft(conventional mopar)
or the multi shaft... its hard to beat T&D rockers...
I dont know what offset you need to fit your heads...
but all I run now days is T&D rockers

Single shaft. Thanks everyone for the replies...

Attached picture 7664964-c5.jpg
Posted By: BradH

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/12/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

I had lots of problems with Hughes on victors was running 275 seat and 625 open pressure. Ended up getting them bushed and still having failrues.

I have run Hughes' standard-offset rocker successfully and have their offset ones to use w/ my new Victor heads. Please define "lots of problems", as that's too general a statement to help identify possible source(s) of the issues you've experienced.

If the Hughes setup doesn't cut it for me, I'll go T&D since I'm not a big fan of Harland Sharp.

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/12/13 04:29 PM

Bad galling on the shaft, the rockers would loosen up between lashes constantly. So after speaking to hughes they referred me to a place that would bush my rocker arms which should have cured the problem but only was a bandaid fix that lasted a short period. The money I spent on the Hughes I should have got off my wallet and bought the Harland sharps right off as they have been trouble free since I put them on.
If your running any hyd or a small solid cam i'm sure you wouldn't run into the problems. Being boosted and probably making the most power on a set of victor heads in the world (good bet?) the rockers get taxed pretty hard. Tho predator heads are my next purchase.

I have a nice used set of Hughes rockers for cheap if you'd like..

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/12/13 06:18 PM

I only ran mine with 180# closed & 400#s open before, but I also run thicker rocker shafts than what Hughes supplies (RAS pieces), Smith Bros. adjuster screws (which IMO are better than the adjusters that Hughes used to supply w/ their rockers) and have my #4 cam journal grooved for full-time oiling to the rocker shaft.

The Victors will be set up w/ the same shafts, adjuster screws and full-time oiling, but will subjected to 240# closed and close to 600# open, so I'll be checking the valve train pretty closely when it comes back to life. Time will tell...

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/13/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Bad galling on the shaft, the rockers would loosen up between lashes constantly. So after speaking to hughes they referred me to a place that would bush my rocker arms which should have cured the problem but only was a bandaid fix that lasted a short period. The money I spent on the Hughes I should have got off my wallet and bought the Harland sharps right off as they have been trouble free since I put them on.
If your running any hyd or a small solid cam i'm sure you wouldn't run into the problems. Being boosted and probably making the most power on a set of victor heads in the world (good bet?) the rockers get taxed pretty hard. Tho predator heads are my next purchase.

I have a nice used set of Hughes rockers for cheap if you'd like..

Do you recall how the scrub distance/pattern looked with the Harland Sharps? Lash caps? Also caught your license passes on Youtube. You're puttin the power down

Attached picture 7666464-c7.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/14/13 11:51 AM

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/14/13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Do you recall how the scrub distance/pattern looked with the Harland Sharps? Lash caps?

I'd like to know, too. However, what seems typical of HS rockers on Edelbrock big-block heads is that their scrub pattern is heavily biased to the exhaust side of the valve tip. Even the Hughes stuff that has a shorter fulcrum-to-roller c/l distance than the HS still has a bit of an exhaust-side bias, but no where near as extreme.

I don't think that T&D had got it "nuts on", either, since their fulcrum-to-roller c/l spec for rockers used on Victor heads is 1.52, which is pretty close to what the Hughes are.

The rockers which IIRC actually showed the best scrub pattern on Edelbrock big-block heads were the Crane golds, which (I'd have to check my notes... somewhere) are about 1.48, but Crane never produced anything w/ the correct intake pushrod offset for the Victors. Also, Crane's have other issues IMO that make them less than ideal for this type of application. But perhaps that's just me...

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/14/13 02:57 PM

Brad...Why don't you like the H.S.rockers? And put that damn thing together!!

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/14/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Brad...Why don't you like the H.S.rockers?

I've posted my issues w/ them in the past and all that did was bring out the HS-lovers to bash me for not liking them. No point in going through that all over again. You'll just have to respect that I have an opinion that is shared by some others via PMs who also choose not to get involved in a over the subject.

Quote:

And put that damn thing together!!

I'm trying... but all the progress I made in the fall came to a grinding halt around the Holidays and I've been unable to get back into thing seriously since then.

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/14/13 03:07 PM

OK..Fair enough! I know a guy that has 8 T&D exhaust rockers. But you still would need the the intakes and shafts. I think the intake rockers are 76.00 ea!!

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/14/13 09:14 PM

Brad I did also have problems with the hughes adjusters and went to the smith adjuster screws which seem to be a lot higher quality metal.

The scrub pattern on the HS rockers did sweep towards the exhaust side, I ran lash caps with both sets of rockers.
Maybe the newer Hughes rockers are better but I do think a big solid roller is a bit taxing for the hughes and to get something like a T&D or HS for the bigger spring pressures.

The only reason I bought HS rockers was from the recommendation of other victor head owners and seem to work very well. The T&D are a good rocker but haven't had the chance to try a set.

The last race of the year finally got it to hook out of the hole. Race weight is 3500~.
Pass w/HS rockers

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/16/13 01:46 AM

The last race of the year finally got it to hook out of the hole. Race weight is 3500~.
Pass w/HS rockers

Now that is cool!!
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/16/13 03:59 AM

I run HS rockers (not on Victors, but on Indys) and I haven't had any problems. While everything went together nicely when bolting them on, I checked them out before I installed them and I'm really glad I did. There were quite a few shavings around the threading for the adjusting screws and a few in the shaft, as well. Nice stuff, but give 'em the once over before bolting them on.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/17/13 01:48 AM

Quote:

Pass w/HS rockers

Now that is cool!!

Yes sir. it is just wish the person takeing the video was filming in the right lane .Tried to look for other videos on this car but none with the bada$$ launch like that.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/17/13 05:51 AM

I have the T&D rockers on my max wedge victor heads, and no problems with the rockers. I was running standard locks and a +0.100" retainer and no clearance issues, but the combination of a +0.100" retainer AND +0.050" (trying to get 2.00" spring height) put the retainer a hair too high where the retainer just touched the inside of the rocker arm.
Last year I ran with the 1.950" height (275# on the seat and a bit over 700# open spring pressure.)
I have since cut the spring pockets in the heads 0.050" to get 2.00"install height (250# seat pressure.)
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/18/13 03:19 AM

Sorry to but in but what valve covers fit the victor RB heads[besides pro comp]?TIA
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 04/18/13 05:39 AM

Pass w/HS rockers [/quote

My God Magnum!
Wish my Harlands were that fast

Attached picture 7672501-photo1-2.JPG

Re: Victor Max Wedge - T&D vs Harland Sharp Rocker Arms - 06/11/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

My God Magnum!
Wish my Harlands were that fast

You would need a bigger helmet again Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums