Nyce
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 04:31 PM

Me likey...........what brand r they?
Posted By: 6bblRoadrunner

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 04:31 PM

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 05:12 PM

Very nice. We are thinking of switching to the new V series Welds on my pile of poo
Posted By: ProSport

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 05:51 PM

Looks sweet Larry!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 05:56 PM

Sharp! I like them, look real good on that clean looking dart.
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 06:12 PM

Thanks all. I run American Racing Torque thrust II's on it with my street radials. But when I want to play at the track, I put my "race" wheels and tires on, and drive to the track, race, and drive home (if nothing breaks!). Sometimes I leave the race setup on to drive around town too.

I always ran an old set of Centerline Warriors and 28x13.5 MT ET streets on the back.

I decided to make a change in style, just because. I also wanted a taller tire on the back to bring my RPM's down at the stripe, and get more wheel speed at the start.

So the wheels.....took me a while to figure out what I wanted. I looked at a million different styles. I settled on these Centerline Stage II wheels. They came out about 6 yrs ago or so, and I couldn't find a single picture of them on a car, or even with a tire mounted on them. I contacted Centerline, and they don't have any pictures. I searched the internet all over. Nothing! Of course I liked that!

I took a gamble and ordered them. They had to actually make the back wheels, as they don't even have much in stock on this style.

I'm really pleased with the look of them.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 06:14 PM

Nice. How does the crossram work on the small block? rpm range? What size Demons?

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 08:50 PM

Thanks,
Crossram works great. I shift around 6400rpm, launch at 6K, runs very low 11's at 122mph on pump gas.

It gets 15+mpg on the highway.

Two 650 Mighty Demons

I've been messing with this setup for 7 years now!
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/08/13 08:54 PM

Looks sharp Larry
Posted By: Crizila

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 12:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Crossram works great. I shift around 6400rpm, launch at 6K, runs very low 11's at 122mph on pump gas.

It gets 15+mpg on the highway.

Two 650 Mighty Demons

I've been messing with this setup for 7 years now!

Awesome! Could you give us a run-down on the motor? Thanks.
Posted By: racerx

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 12:32 AM

I likie
Posted By: bigdad

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 12:41 AM

Neat car
Posted By: oldiron

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 12:41 AM

Very nice
And your garage is too clean
Just curious what 68LAR thinks. He didn't say anything about pimp did he?
Posted By: 383man

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 12:56 AM

I really like them. Usually I am not always a fan of different wheels then what I am used to but they look great on your Dart. Ron
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 01:33 AM

thats sharp, love it!!
Posted By: BloFish

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 03:05 AM

Definitely different
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 04:14 AM

Me likey 2
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 04:38 AM

Quote:

Just curious what 68LAR thinks. He didn't say anything about pimp did he?

I like them also. I'm just jealous that I can't afford to buy a new set for my junk.

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 01:21 PM

Thanks to all. Haven't heard from a bunch of you in years. I don't post as much as I used to.

I wasn't expecting anybody to come out and say they didn't like them, but you can if you want. I have thick skin,...I can take it without crying!

The really cool thing about the front wheels, is that they are rotary forged. They are 1 piece. They heat up the alum billet and spin it and press it into a forged disc and then start pulling the rims into shape....all while spinning. It's pretty cool! Made in the USA too!

I was able to sell off my Warriors, here on Moparts, and buy these wheels for not very much money difference. So I didn't hit the lottery!

Just to refresh my story, since I'm not on here posting too much:

The motor is about 11 years old now. I built this stroker by going .020 over on a 69 340 block and 4" cast mopar crank. 11.2 compression, home ported E heads, 260 flat cam.

I've run 11.0 and 122mph with it, as usual, driving it to the track (1.5 hrs) racing, then driving back home on the same tires that I race with. Only unload the trunk.

18 spline 833 4 speed and Dana 60 with 4.30's

I've probably driven this engine 8,000 miles now, plus about 100 timed runs at the track, and 1,000 un-timed runs!

Cranking compression is still 190-193 psi in each hole (just measured last week).

This car has been featured in 4 magazines (hot rod twice, Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle).

I'll never get rid of it.

Take care all!

Larry
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 02:00 PM

Wheels look VERY nice as does the rest of the car

Those wheels would be on my short list to replace the Auto Drags I currently have
Posted By: Boosted

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 02:07 PM

Those look nice and fit that beautiful dart....

I am changing mine on my 65 now.. The backs are done and I just have to buy the fronts... I went with Holeshots hole stars...

Attached picture 7660819-Columbus-20130331-00016(Large).jpg
Posted By: patrick

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 04:58 PM

nice...if I have any criticism, it's that the front tires look a little too tall....maybe if they were about 1" shorter or so...
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/09/13 05:08 PM

Sweet!!!

Joey
Posted By: v8punch

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 12:20 AM

Quote:

nice...if I have any criticism, it's that the front tires look a little too tall....maybe if they were about 1" shorter or so...

Posted By: Hot 340

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 12:45 AM

Very very nice.
Posted By: 2734bbl

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 02:40 AM

I love the stance on that car. I'd like a close look at how those tall tires clear.

Are the front fenders trimmed ?

What size and backspacing?

What brakes are on it ?

Thanks
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 04:13 AM

I really like them! plus big thumbs up on the stance of that car, it looks killer!
Mike

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 01:02 PM

Thanks all!

The front tires are about 27.5 to 28" tall. The rears are 29.5 to 30".

The wheels are 4" wide and I have Wilwood brakes on the front. So the wheels are out a bit from stock.

I have the fenders trimmed for these tall front tires.

I actually like to fill the wheelwells up as much as possible. That's how I get the stance that I like. Show as little space between the tire and the body, without having a low rider!

The tall fronts allow me to have great ground clearance on the street and keep my T-bars at a stock setting, for great travel and alignment.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 04:40 PM

I like your new look, but I also like the look of your (now mine) Centerline Warriors. They have M/T Sportsman 26x7.50x15LT on the front and the rears have a set of Hoosier 30x10.5x15s and they not only look good, but they fit better than the Weld Pro-Stars that I had before. I am glad you got what you wanted and I got what I needed.
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

Those look nice and fit that beautiful dart....

I am changing mine on my 65 now.. The backs are done and I just have to buy the fronts... I went with Holeshots hole stars...

Are those Welds you are taking off???? if they are Monques (SP) I would be interested in them?

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 05:45 PM

Pete,
I'm glad you like them. A true great deal all around. You got what you wanted and I got what I wanted.

Got any pics yet?

Larry
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 07:01 PM

I am still working on the project. The Ramcharger is blocked up in my garage. I am going to change to the van lower control arms to get it down and I still need to finish welding the wheel tubs back in, so there is no need to mount the wheels yet. The spooled Dana 60 is all done and in place. Still the wheels and tires do look real good stacked on the dolly in the garage...makes a pile about 5' tall. LOL. The weather is warming up and I am retired now so I can spend more time in the garage, but I am still hobbled by the total knee replacement, so progress is measured in small steps. I will take pictures, I just learned how to post them. Bye for now.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 07:03 PM

Looking good, Larry. Glad to see you are still tinkering with that sweet Dart.

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 07:06 PM

Pete, sounds like you have a plan...that's good.

Tony, How are you doing these days? You got rid of the 4 door, right? What are you working on now?
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 07:07 PM

The car looks awesome! Makes me kind of antsy to get started on my Dart.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

Pete, sounds like you have a plan...that's good.

Tony, How are you doing these days? You got rid of the 4 door, right? What are you working on now?

Doing good, Larry. The 4 door has been gone a few cars ago. Now I have a 1970 Super Bee clone. Not going to be nearly as fast as your Dart, but runs pretty good and has nice street manners. Here's a pic...

Attached picture 7662624-SuperBee-2012002.JPG
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 07:43 PM

Love the wheels and the car ....if anything I would go with a shorter front tire and lower the whole car...but that is just my taste.
Posted By: mopartoby

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 10:43 PM

Nice set up! I had an str 12. They're the coolest looking small block manifold ever made. I kick myself for selling it but someone offered me way too much for it, I couldn't sat no. Nice wheels too.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/10/13 10:50 PM

I REALLY like the way the car looks!! I think the stance is perfect.I just bought new Centerlines also.. replaced the Auto Drags with Qualifiers,as I'm going to go back on the street.I was going to lower my car,but after seeing yours,mine is staying as is.

Super nice car,I know you are proud of it.
Posted By: 2734bbl

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/11/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks all!

The wheels are 4" wide and I have Wilwood brakes on the front. So the wheels are out a bit from stock.

I actually like to fill the wheelwells up as much as possible. That's how I get the stance that I like. Show as little space between the tire and the body, without having a low rider!

The tall fronts allow me to have great ground clearance on the street and keep my T-bars at a stock setting, for great travel and alignment.

Thanks again.

Any chance of some pics of how you trimmed the fenders ? and again, really like how the car sits up like that.

Great looking car
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/11/13 03:39 AM

Wheels are way way cool!

But...I'd get that rear down about 2"

Always thought this car was a perfect example of street and strip. The gas mileage is the icing on the cake!
Posted By: 354valiant

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/11/13 09:05 AM

Lar_414, The look of your Dart is awesome very sharp, but I especially like the super clean and simple look of your small block with the cross ram! Where did you get your air cleaners? They round out the nostalgic look to the engine that make it look factory installed, too bad this package was never offered. Cool car, Thanks Brian
Posted By: patrick

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/11/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks all!

Thanks again.

personal preference, I'd like the front tires about 26" tall and maybe the back end 1-2" lower

Re: New Race Wheels and Tires - 04/11/13 02:42 PM

Thanks again all.

The air bells are made by me. I bought some air bells from somewhere and went to home depot for the rest. Works great. I even have some cloth covers for the top when I take a long drive or it's dusty out.

My fenders are about 20+ years old and fiberglass. So I've cut the front edge and the lip a bit. It can be done with metal fenders too.

I've got multiple mounting positions for the rear springs. It's set at the highest setting right now. I've run it lower (about 1") and it doesn't hook as well. The IC is better at this position.

I've run the front lower too, but there is no real need, as there is enough rake to the stance right now.

My street tires a about 1" shorter than these tires.

Either way, right now, it launches great at the track. I Dump the clutch at about 6,000rpm and it spins the tires for about the first 15-20 feet. Doesn't bog down the motor, and it's a controlled spin.

Other setups make the tires bounce, or lift and release, or not recover the wheel spin quick enough.

Also, I drive this car a TON on the street. I take it pretty much anywhere. Speedbumps and un even pavement are not friendly when it sits too low. Not so much for the oil pan, but for the exhaust. It's tucked up tight to the floorboards, but I've got 3.5" SS pipes from the collectors to the muffs.

This is no pure racecar that doesn't need a full exhaust and can sit super low to the ground.

Plus I kinda like the old pro stock / SS/A look from the 70's. Not everything has to sit super low. But I see some of your points out there. I've had it lower and it looks good, but I like where it's at now.....may change my mind next week, you never know!
© 2024 Moparts Forums