Moparts

launch RPM's

Posted By: Quicktree

launch RPM's - 04/01/13 04:28 PM

we were talking about launch rpm in another thread where people were saying to raise the rpm to make the launch softer or less violent. I personally have never seen that work. every car I have driven would be more violent as the rpm's go up. my arrow was doing a monster wheel stand at 5200. I left this weekend at 3000 and it was like being on a sunday drive. it lifted the from wheels maybe 2" and set them back down. the 60" was exactly the same nothing lost.still couldn't keep it from red lighting even after taking a bunch of shims out of the tb button. there are obviously a bunch o different factors involved.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: launch RPM's - 04/01/13 06:58 PM

I'm with you. Lower is less violent to me. ET might be better leaving higher, but I like leaving low.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: launch RPM's - 04/01/13 09:14 PM

The lowest I can make em hook and be consistent is best in my opinion. When I moved weight forward to settle wheel stands, I had to raise the launch rpm to hit the tires harder and stick them. Still, I am well below full throttle.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: launch RPM's - 04/01/13 09:39 PM

Makes a big difference in RT, especially if you are well below convertor flash. ----- Don't ask me how I know .

Re: launch RPM's - 04/01/13 09:45 PM

Quote:

Makes a big difference in RT, especially if you are well below convertor flash. ----- Don't ask me how I know .

not in a light car

Re: launch RPM's - 04/01/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

not in a light car

I don't own a light car.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 01:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not in a light car

I don't own a light car.

That be your fault, buckwheat

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not in a light car

I don't own a light car.

Changing your launch RPM will make a difference in RT in any car. Agree that the heavier the car, the more the difference will be. On the plus side for heavy cars - no chance of a blow-over.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 06:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not in a light car

I don't own a light car.

Changing your launch RPM will make a difference in RT in any car. Agree that the heavier the car, the more the difference will be. On the plus side for heavy cars - no chance of a blow-over.

Touche, Senor
Posted By: mshred

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 09:43 PM

Quote:

Leaving at a lower rpm slows down the r/t's?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 10:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes
Posted By: mshred

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes

I guess that makes sense since you would be leaving with less inertia, or in the case of a converter car there is that time it takes for the converter to flash up to the stall rpm?

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes

I guess that makes sense since you would be leaving with less inertia, or in the case of a converter car there is that time it takes for the converter to flash up to the stall rpm?

it would be more pronounced the heavier the car is. have driven heavy cars now in a super light one the difference is huge. my 60' was exactly the same and i seen little change in rt
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 11:00 PM

My car is a heavy street B-Body. I have found that lowering Launch RPM's slows BOTH my RT and 60'. I think this is unique to the combo, though.
Posted By: 383man

Re: launch RPM's - 04/02/13 11:16 PM

I have left from an idle up to coming up on the converter to 2500. I like it best coming up on the converter to about 2000 as my heavy B-body seems to like that about the best with my 9.5 Dynamic converter. Ron
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 12:51 AM

Quote:

My car is a heavy street B-Body. I have found that lowering Launch RPM's slows BOTH my RT and 60'.

Mine too, and there is a definite difference with both as it relates to launch rpm. Very noticeable with a heavy stick car.

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 01:19 AM

You are looking at 2 back to back passes ( car #300). Left side is launching at 2700rpm. Obviously went red - for the second time over the weekend. Pass on right was with two changes; dropped a pound out the tires and launched at 1100rpm. Just about dead on my dial.

Attached picture 7652312-timeslips.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 03:15 AM

RT may slow if nothing else changes , but it is easy to remedy with a box and can still be regained with practice in a foot brake car.........can't it ?
I'm trying to understand the logic.......the RT is from green till when the wheels break the beam.
Being a foot brake kind of guy , I would then try to shade the last bulb or stare hard at the second of the last to get it back.
Not real scientific , but getting myself to find that sweet spot and making it part of the routine ought to do it I think.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 03:17 AM

Based on those slips and your launch RPM info, you're in the same boat with most of us: RT and 60' slowed dramatically with the lower RPM.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 12:09 PM

Interesting topic..I have launched at 4800 then I have it at 3400 now. R/Ts stay about the same and very little difference in the 60'. They only difference between the two is at the lower rpms,it doesn't leave as violent...
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 01:04 PM

Been in heavy cars for some time , The higher RPM seam to slow the heavy car down , Lower RPM seam to make the car faster IDONO??
Now My car is light ,I say light at under 3000#, The 60 does not care if it is 3500 rpm or 2000, only couple # different ,so I leave at 2500,
I think a lot has to do with the combo , air in tires, converter, cam, and gearing,
Trans brake could make some difference, more so in RT than et? ,
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 02:53 PM

Must be missing something here, I thought reaction time had to do when the driver let the car move? Cant see what RPM has to do with any of it? Can someone explain please? 60ft time I can see, but not the RT...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 03:02 PM

Quote:

Must be missing something here, I thought reaction time had to do when the driver let the car move? Cant see what RPM has to do with any of it? Can someone explain please? 60ft time I can see, but not the RT...

Its when the light turned green to when the front tires
broke the beams(forward beam)... think of this extreme.
if you idle off the line to 5000 rpm off the line..
which will move past the beam first

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 03:06 PM

I guess there are a lot of factors involved here ( not to mention the human factor ). Next time I go out, I will go back to my "normal" launch procedures ( tires at 12 psi and launch at 2700rpm ) and see if my RT's return to - acceptable .
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, makes sense, thanks
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: launch RPM's - 04/03/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, makes sense, thanks

The closer you can get to the max torque of the engine
the quicker it will move the mass
© 2024 Moparts Forums