Moparts

IDLER ARM QUESTION................

Posted By: Thumperdart

IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 04:21 PM

I just replaced the worn out idler arm and was curious if there`s a torque spec or how tight the bolt should be cranked to. Does the bolt act as the fulcrum or does the sleeve actually rotate within the arm..........thankxxx, not a ft. end guy.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 04:49 PM

Us the standard torque for that size and thread pitch, the bushing is fixed and the idler rotates around it. Tim
Posted By: rickraw

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 04:51 PM

40# torque. it's a taper fit in the link. it just pivots in it's socket.

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 04:54 PM

I just tightened it snug but as I tightened it more I noticed it would bind up hense the reason for asking. So the sleeve is fixed to the idler arm and the bolt takes the load? Thankxxx..........

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 05:37 PM

Quote:

40# torque. it's a taper fit in the link. it just pivots in it's socket.

So, r u saying the sleeve spins INSIDE of the idler arm or around the bolt...........
Posted By: rickraw

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 06:23 PM

my mistake. the mounting end has the sleeve that spins in the arm. torque on that bolt is 65#. mine did the same thing as ur's. what is happening is the mounting tabs are crushing against the arm. i made 2 shims to fit between the mounting tab & the sleeve in idler arm.

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 06:38 PM

The new arm came w/washers which called for one on the top and bottom of the sleeve but only could fit one washer on top which is how I did it before. So I guess I`ll tighten it up some and go from there but it doesn`t appear to be binding on the arm itself but I`ll double check.
Posted By: DartS

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 06:50 PM

I just replaced mine and the torque spec was 65 ft lbs.

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 07:07 PM

So after you torqued it to spec did it still move freely?
Posted By: DartS

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 08:08 PM

It was tight. But when I put the rest of the steering back together it turned with no binding.

Attached picture 7648605-tightspecs.jpg

Re: IDLER ARM QUESTION................ - 03/31/13 08:33 PM

Thankxxxx.............makes sense on it being tight since I was turning just the arm w/one hand on my back.........
© 2024 Moparts Forums