Moparts

Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers

Posted By: domingo

Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/22/13 11:45 PM

HI!

I hjave a fiberglass bumber which I want to paint with those new chrome paint systems that look like real chrome.

Is it just a matter of buying the paint supplies and you can shoot the bumper with any conventional paint equipment?

Where can I buy this paint?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/22/13 11:47 PM

For your reading pleasure...
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 01:07 AM

HA! Good luck with that !! The "systems" are all specialized as well as the products - which aren't really "paints". And even if you were to spring for an entire system, it would be MONTHS before you produced a quality finish as it seems just about every one of these systems manufacturers overemphasizes their simplicity.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 04:04 AM

I keep thinking about a wrap or the Eastwood system. Anyone have any luck with either one?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 04:09 AM

Go over to the HAMB, there is a major thread about this.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 04:43 AM

Years ago at Chrysler when we had a chrome lab they
would spray a metallic spray on the plastic or fiberglass
then chrome it with either the dip or the electro
plating process... turned out perfect(I had a few
pieces done for my Harley)
Posted By: 383man

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 05:11 AM

I think this is Eastwood paint my brother used on his Duster. Not perfect as it has the silver look to it some instead of a full chrome look. It reminds me of the same color I see on race cars with glass bumbers. Not all that bad if you cant swing the cash to rechrome. Ron

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 05:14 AM

Cant see much of the rear bumber but you can see some to get the shade of it. Ron

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 05:26 AM

Quote:

I think this is Eastwood paint my brother used on his Duster. Not perfect as it has the silver look to it some instead of a full chrome look. It reminds me of the same color I see on race cars with glass bumbers. Not all that bad if you cant swing the cash to rechrome. Ron

It looks like silver spray paint... I've looked at
everything out there other than what I had done at
work and they all look like silver spray paint
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 07:16 AM

Isn't there a place in OK. that does this? Kinda remember from older threads.

-Daty
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 12:37 PM

As already mentioned, check out the thread on the H.A.M.B.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 01:48 PM

There is a company in Florida that will do what MR P described. Its called Custom Coatings. The problem is they never return calls. I have been trying to get a quote for a while. Just Google them.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 02:52 PM

Looks like its gonna be a hassle. Ill just spray em viper silver as the rest of the car....
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 05:22 PM

You're in Peru and people are suggesting places in Florida and Oklahoma ... just goes to show what some people know about world geography !!!
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 05:28 PM

Quote:

You're in Peru and people are suggesting places in Florida and Oklahoma ... just goes to show what some people know about world geography !!!

I live in Tampa, Florida, and Domingo has come to my house just to say hi and pick up some parts!!

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 06:17 PM

Quote:

You mean Peru isnt in Ohio.... yes we know where he lives
Posted By: Fast Yeti

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 09:35 PM

Call Custom Chrome in Bay City MIchigan
989-402-1550

This is the company I am going to use for my glass bumpers. I saw some cars on yellow Bullet that looked nice.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/23/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

It's called shipping.

-Daty
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/24/13 12:41 AM

I just had this 57 chevy done, $700.00 with the bodywork. I have had 4 done by these guys (exel customs)toP notch just don'tbe in a hurry.

Posted By: cudadon

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/24/13 02:12 AM

Watch the videos for application, pretty cool!
http/comsichrome
Don

Attached picture 7637700-byronwheelie2012.jpg

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/24/13 05:46 AM

Quote:

I just had this 57 chevy done, $700.00 with the bodywork. I have had 4 done by these guys (exel customs)toP notch just don'tbe in a hurry.

Is that a rechrome or paint ? If its paint it looks better then any I have seen. I even bought chrome paint and as Mr P says it looks more like silver paint then chrome. Ron
Posted By: dOc …

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/24/13 06:04 AM

700 clams

I remember not so long ago it was like 80 beans each ... IIRC .. the last bumpers I had done was for a 73 Dart and Duster ...and a 65 Coronet.

TIMES sure change....
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/24/13 06:07 AM

Your 'chrome' bumper is done by the same process as the header coatings. They are just epoxy based coatings with a ton of aluminum powder suspended in it. That is what makes it look 'metallic'. The shiny look is done after putting the items in a light bead-polish tank to basically burnish the coating to a shine. Sort of like a color sanding with beads. Any chrome coatings on fiberglass will have a really difficult time to adhere and not delaminate rather soon. We tried chrome on gm bumpers a while back using PVD and the problem was the 'stick' and not the color. Looked great until the bumpers went thru a carwash Learn to love silver color or stick to steel bumpers.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/24/13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that a rechrome or paint ? If its paint it looks better then any I have seen. I even bought chrome paint and as Mr P says it looks more like silver paint then chrome. Ron

It's paint, like I said I have had 4 done so far and they look great.
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/24/13 04:26 PM

Some of you are confusing chrome "paint" with spray on chrome. There is a big difference.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 03:11 AM

There's no confusing the price

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 04:27 AM

Quote:

Some of you are confusing chrome "paint" with spray on chrome. There is a big difference.

Yes that is what I think I have done. I really did not know you could have a spray on chrome. I assumed the normal chroming is being dipped ? I just know I have bought paint that said it was chrome paint but looked more like silver paint.

"bigtimeauto" you said it was $700 with body work ? I dont mean to bug you but what was the price of just having the bumper sprayed chrome or is that the full price with working the bumper ? I guess I am curious as the price of painting the chrome on like "bigtimeauto" had done against having the bumper rechromed ? By the way that bumper looks great "bigtimeauto. Thanks , Ron
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 04:49 AM

That paint is a silvering process gathering from what I have seen on the web.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 01:05 PM

Quote:

"bigtimeauto" you said it was $700 with body work ? I dont mean to bug you but what was the price of just having the bumper sprayed chrome or is that the full price with working the bumper ? I guess I am curious as the price of painting the chrome on like "bigtimeauto" had done against having the bumper rechromed ? By the way that bumper looks great "bigtimeauto. Thanks , Ron

The bumper is painted. I have him do the whole job with bodywork and prep so he is responsible for the looks and quality of the job. I have never priced just spraying as fiberglass bumpers are anything but straight. Feel free to come to my shop and see it
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The bumper is painted. I have him do the whole job with bodywork and prep so he is responsible for the looks and quality of the job. I have never priced just spraying as fiberglass bumpers are anything but straight. Feel free to come to my shop and see it

how do they hold up? have you had some for a few years or are all done more recently?

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 01:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

how do they hold up? have you had some for a few years or are all done more recently?

JB's 55 we had some problem with but they redid it and all is good. jumbos el camino has both done for 2 years no issues.

Mine are still steel
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 06:41 PM

I think I'll just paint mine bright silver and live with it.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 06:59 PM

This is why mine are body color.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Heck I might be able to do that as I see your in PA ? How far from Baltimore would you say your place is ? Do you ever race at Cecil ? Ron

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 08:13 PM

My shop is 1 hour from cecil.
95 north to 476 north.

yes I race at cecil for the SCSO monthly
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 08:21 PM

I bought a chrome paint kit from a company for $400. I followed their directions to a tee and the finished bumper looked gray??? I then called them up and asked if I did anything wrong. They asked if I primed the bumper before I applied their product. I told them no cause it wasn't in the instructions and I figured the supplied black base coat was the primer. Anyways I stripped the bumper back to glass, primed it as recommended, sprayed their black base coat on and let it sit/cure their recommended 10 days, then sprayed on their chrome top coat. The end result?...I wasn't a happy camper. FWIW, I would have gotten the same results if I used a rattle can of satin gray Rustolium. I would have gladly paided $700 to get a glass bumper that actually looked like chrome.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 08:26 PM

Quote:

95 north to 476 north.

Thats cool as I live about 1 hr from Cecil as its northeast of me. Will you be at the June 8th NSS race and show at Cecil ? Ron

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/25/13 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

95 north to 476 north.

Thats cool as I live about 1 hr from Cecil as its northeast of me. Will you be at the June 8th NSS race and show at Cecil ? Ron

I only run the street car shoot outs. first sat of the month. I wouldn't have the bumper with me anyway as it will be on the customers car by then
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/27/13 02:44 PM

Quote:

How much heavier is it now, than before the chroming? When I bought the two stage paint for my cuda bumpers, I was told that chroming glass bumpers made them almost as heavy as originals? Sure looks nice, though.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/27/13 03:43 PM

The 57 bumper shipping weight from VFN was 5 lbs It weighs 7lbs as it sits right now and thats with the extra bracing we put in it after the customer broke it.

Whoever told you the bumpers would be almost as heavy as origionals obviously never did a set.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/27/13 05:44 PM

Good read as I have been wanting to to replace my steel Challenger bumpers. I will try Custom Chrome in Bay City MIchigan at this
989-402-1550 # once I get the fiberglass bumpers.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/27/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

95 north to 476 north.

I only run the street car shoot outs. first sat of the month. I wouldn't have the bumper with me anyway as it will be on the customers car by then

Oh I thought maybe the ones on your Dart were like that also. Thanks for the info on them. Ron
Posted By: Oldschool64

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/28/13 12:23 AM

Oddly enough I used to work for IBM back when they were making the Selectric typewriters. The "flying golfball" used to change fonts and font sizes was a plastic piece that was injection molded. It was then cleaned and polished, then plated. First coatings were something called electroless nickel, and that made it look look a nickel coin. That solution was sort of green in color. they then hard chrome plated them. They were very durable, most lasting as long as the typewriter itself, even with the repeated impacts.
Of course,some younger folks there learned that process would also plate a banana, or an orange, or kids baby shoes, or golf balls, I've even seen the plastic wood grain handles of a pistol grip shifter done that way too. Real wood pistols grips were also done.
A cowpile was my personal favorite, we gave it at a retirement dinner for a fellow who was full of bull**** all the time we knew him.
Fiberglass bumpers ought to be a breeze compared to that.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/28/13 12:51 AM

Spectra Chrome..

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/themakingofvideogallery.html

Chris..
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 03/28/13 02:47 AM

Glad you posted the weights. Next time, I'd like them to look as good as your 57's.
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 01:45 AM

Hey guys jacking your post here. If you are in the Pittsburgh area & need something chromed try Mandish Motor Sports in Monaca, Pa (724)775-0003 ask for Lee. He did my rear Duster bumper & it looks great!!! The shine is great & other work looks like a steel bumper. He is a die hard Mopar guy & does other work as well. Quality person too deal w/in anyway. Hope this gets some guys in the area covered. Thanks, Ken

Attached picture 7661710-rearbumper.jpg
Posted By: 300by500

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 02:25 AM

Call Darrell Waltrip. Way back in 1997 he chrome-painted his entire car, and it looked pretty good.

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 11:55 AM

Chroming plastic or fiberglass obviously isn't THAT difficult, look at the millions of trucks with plastic grills that are chromed.

Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 12:07 PM

If I found a place close that could chrome fiberglass I'd do it in a heartbeat if it wasn't stupid expensive. That is the only reason I dont already have a glass front bumper.
Posted By: TT5 Valiant

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 02:28 PM

Quote:

If I found a place close that could chrome fiberglass I'd do it in a heartbeat if it wasn't stupid expensive. That is the only reason I dont already have a glass front bumper.

Where in Nebraska?
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 04:59 PM

And whats stupid expensive?
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

Looks like its gonna be a hassle. Ill just spray em viper silver as the rest of the car....

Mine are Dodge Caravan silver....

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 09:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where in Nebraska?

IM in NP. Lincoln or Omaha should have a place. Falls City has a plating business.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 09:57 PM

Quote:

Anything above $150-200 is IMO. All these videos show how easy it is and the price should reflect that.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Anything above $150-200 is IMO. All these videos show how easy it is and the price should reflect that.

THE CORRECT PROCESS to do this is not EZ or cheap to do. There is a lot of equipment expense PLUS they would more than likely be doing only YOUR ONE PART in the process.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/10/13 10:42 PM

you guys kill me with easy and cheap

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/11/13 02:18 AM

Over the years I had about 20 of various size bumpers done ..... back then it cost ME 50$ each ....and it was done on-the-side on Saturday .... done by an employee of the company for cash.

Now I am sure that the process is vastly improved now(over then) ... because there is so much more plastic-plating done now ...

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/11/13 03:34 AM

That's kinda what I have observed. I can see where if I said I needed it by Saturday I might pay a premium but I'm patient.
Posted By: REHBERGERRACING

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/13/13 05:21 PM

Quote:

you guys kill me with easy and cheap

No kidding. Is the shipping free???
That 57 bumper looks great. Im going to look into that.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/16/13 04:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

anything over $3.99..

I'm laying up a glass bumper next week and it will have rattle can silver on it..

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/16/13 05:01 AM

I guess a $600 chrome job on a $135 bumper makes sense to some.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/16/13 05:50 AM

Quote:

Only if you want it to look like chrome!

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/16/13 01:59 PM

Quote:

I guess it all depends on how nice you want your light weight bumper/car to look.

If your buying strictly by price point than yes it makes no sense. Some of us want fast and nice so we save up a little longer to get to that point without making excuses that rattle can silver looks nice.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/16/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess it all depends on how nice you want your light weight bumper/car to look.

If your buying strictly by price point than yes it makes no sense. Some of us want fast and nice so we save up a little longer to get to that point without making excuses that rattle can silver looks nice.

Just like a woman. Light weight and good lookin is gonna cost ya.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/16/13 08:34 PM

You forgot.. high maintenance
Posted By: 74-440Charger

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/17/13 12:42 AM

Has anyone looked into a wrap? Somebody has to have a film that looks like chrome...

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/17/13 12:59 AM

Ive looked into hydro dipping and cant find chrome as an option there either.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/21/13 03:03 AM

I'll let you guys know if this is Easy and Cheap in a month or so.. http://alsacorp.com/strechchrome/index.html

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/21/13 03:18 AM

I just ended up painting mine silver, like the rest of the car.

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/21/13 03:56 AM

Quote:

I'll let you guys know if this is Easy and Cheap in a month or so.. http://alsacorp.com/strechchrome/index.html

INTERESTING .....

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/21/13 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

INTERESTING .....

$7.99 a sq foot

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/23/13 10:28 PM

Ok guys, here is the finished product. the bumper if fiberglass painted chrome:

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/23/13 10:33 PM

that looks good! what product is it?

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/23/13 11:04 PM

Quote:

that looks good! what product is it?

thanks, A body shop near me paints them. I have no idea of the product they use.

http://www.excelcustoms.net/index.html
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/24/13 01:37 AM

That is nice
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/24/13 02:24 AM

Quote:

That is nice

Is it as durable as body paint?

Re: Chrome Paint for Fiberglass bumpers - 04/24/13 04:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is nice

Is it as durable as body paint?

yes they are cleared also. We have them on 4 different cars now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums