Moparts

Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions

Posted By: torkrules

Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/18/13 11:50 PM

Anybody have the proper dimensions, Parker (or equivalent) part number, etc for the upper spark plug tube O-rings?

I could go out and pull one, but if someone has it and can let me know I would appreciate it.

I find the MP O-rings to be too big. John Arruzza states on his web site that he has the proper dimension o rings but there is no ability to buy them on the web site and there is no answer at his shop.

Thanks!
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/19/13 12:43 AM

web page
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/19/13 01:13 AM

Arruzza's are the only ones that fit. Best I can measure they look like about 1-1/4" id and .180 in diameter. I know what you are thinking. Why does Mopar sell us the wrong o-rings? Well, I'm not smart enough to answer that. John Arruzza's new phone number is 919-918-7584.

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/19/13 01:26 AM

Quote:

Arruzza's are the only ones that fit. Best I can measure they look like about 1-1/4" id and .180 in diameter. I know what you are thinking. Why does Mopar sell us the wrong o-rings? Well, I'm not smart enough to answer that. John Arruzza's new phone number is 919-918-7584.

Thank you gentlemen. I'll try the new number. So they must be some odd ball size if John's are the only ones that seem to fit.

Yeah it's funny how the original manufacturer cant get the size right. They've been like this for years. You'd think someone would take notice.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/19/13 01:30 AM

If........don't even get me started on those people.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/19/13 02:21 AM

Bring the tube with you to your local auto parts store, and ask them to look in the back where they keep all of their loose O-rings. That's how I found mine.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/19/13 02:44 AM

I tried old slant six o-rings and seem to fit ok. Never had any original hemi ones so I can't compare, ones i have are over weight.

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/19/13 01:11 PM

Quote:

If........don't even get me started on those people.

No, No....don't get me started!
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/20/13 11:13 AM

u talkin ones in the heads or in the valve cover ? i get mine for the heads at advance auto i think ended up being a metric part # i matched them up or call ray barton they have them

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/21/13 01:58 AM

Quote:

u talkin ones in the heads or in the valve cover ? i get mine for the heads at advance auto i think ended up being a metric part # i matched them up or call ray barton they have them

ones in the valve cover. I talked to a local bearing supplier and ordered a couple of viton o rings of a couple of different sizes. We'll see how that works out
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/21/13 05:37 AM

I went through the same O-ring deal with my hemi restoration because of leaks around the spark plug wire boots at the factory valve cover. I brought a tube into a specialty gasket/O-ring supply place. The guy was really helpful and gave me several ones to test out and found that if I used a #318 sized ring that it makes a good tight fit around the tube and a firm fit into the valve cover - You have to install it on the tube first then firmly push it into the valve cover. It is a bit snug getting it out but not that bad considering I have no more leaks. I do not know the specs of the O-ring that Arruzza sells. I also came across a metric sized one that fits really good as well. If you go the Arruzza route please let us know what size they are using. O-rings at the local supply house were about 45 cents each. At that price I put new ones in every time I pull a tube.

Good Luck

Jim
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Hemi Spark plug tube upper O ring dimensions - 03/21/13 05:47 AM

Link to an older thread
O-ring thread

Hope this helps.

Jim
© 2024 Moparts Forums