Moparts

cheetah shifter and t brake button.

Posted By: mopar dave

cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 02:21 PM

thinking about replacing my husrt pro matic with the cheetah rev manual. my question is has anyone here used the button on the cheetah for t brake? just curious to how well it works for a t brake.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 02:26 PM

dont have an answer for ya but can i ask why your changing?

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 03:02 PM

nothing wrong with the shifter, just making some changes. I have the pro matic under an original console and would like to remove alittle weight and undate the shifter.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

nothing wrong with the shifter, just making some changes. I have the pro matic under an original console and would like to remove alittle weight and undate the shifter.

Keep your Promatic so you can put it back in after you try out the Cheetah.

I never did get used to mine after 3 years of trying, pulled form 1st to 3rd one too many times, it's long gone.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 03:13 PM

my Cheetah is air shifted....no problems

I use the button when I reverse...I have the button on the wheel and the shifter tied together...its easier to back up with a hand on the shifter than on the wheel..at least for me

I have tried the button out for launch, its not bad but the aftermarket, "real fast" switches are probably quicker release
Posted By: evenflow

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 03:19 PM

air shifted also never miss. i use button on shifter for line lock and faster dedenbear on wheel for t-brake

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 04:24 PM

ok,i'll try the botton on the shifter first. manually shifted,do you think the cheetah is any quicker than the promatic?
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 06:06 PM

Quote:

ok,i'll try the botton on the shifter first. manually shifted,do you think the cheetah is any quicker than the promatic?

Yes, it is quicker. As has been stated,, you will be in high gear before you know it. I have the Cheetah in my car. If I had to do it over, I would use the Hurst Quarter Stick like I always used before. I finally got used to the Cheetah by not 'pulling' on it. I just slap/smack the handle when it's gear change time.

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 06:37 PM

What do you like better about the quarter stick?
Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

What do you like better about the quarter stick?

Either way if you hold on to one of these shifters with a RMVB you will likely miss shift. You need to slap them...... I think the TA is easier then the QS to shift with.........

The most important thing to do what ever shifter you decide on is....... mount it to a board and practice with it while watching TV.. before you mount it in the car.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/18/13 11:52 PM

I found if you mount the shifter angled toward the right front wheel your body's natural motion doesn't tend to pull it into third as if was parallel to the centerline.

Don't know if I explained it right but just my
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/19/13 01:14 AM

I liked the Quarter Stick because you had to pull the 'little handle' back to GAURANTEE it would stop in second gear..then release it to go on to high gear. Only problem, sometimes if you were really calm/relaxed during a run, you might not pull the 'little handle' hard enough and still go into high gear.

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/19/13 04:09 AM

ok,i think the cheetah is what i'm looking for. thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/19/13 04:24 AM

I've made the mistake (more than twice ) of leaving my hand on many different non ratchet shifters and shifted the tranny into 2 nd gear on the launch I finally got myself trained to stiffen my right arm up a lot to not let the G force move it backwards when launching the car before I wanted to shift the car I have also bang my right hand on the main roll bar by leaving it halfway limp on the shifter in one of my old bracket cars Lots of gremlins out there to mess with us drag racers BTW, I have one of both the older Winters and Fairbanks shifters, the T/A is very similar, I love them
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/19/13 05:24 AM

I made a bracket that mounted on the passenger side back part of the Cheetah shifter, mounted my fast release T brake button into the bracket, and used that to launch with. The shifter handle button was for either NOS or line lock use. I would release the T brake button, grab for the shifter and shift second, keep hand on shifter and hit 3rd. Don't rest your hand on the shifter when you launch as you WILL pull it into 2nd a few times and get mad. Once I learned this simple task I NEVER had an issue with the shifter and I will not buy any other shifter. I HATE rachet shifter, the hurst was ok but not a fan of holding the lever TIGHT.

Even the woman uses a cheetah and she Loves it for it's ease of operation.
David
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/19/13 10:03 PM

Put the button on anything that promotes an upward pull to your body swing with the hand, very natural motion and quicker, my opinion. Cheetas Fairbanks Winters are great because of the cable and hookups, always smooth and never had to readjust.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: cheetah shifter and t brake button. - 03/20/13 04:46 AM

I use it with no issues
© 2024 Moparts Forums