Moparts

Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet?

Posted By: mshred

Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/14/13 08:19 PM

Has anyone gotten their hands on a set (I know streetwize has) and put them to use and willing to share the results, quality of the product, etc.???
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/14/13 08:23 PM

Getting ready to run at Rockingham in a few weeks, gonna try to get the new Lenny at UCC tweaked Dynamic converter in there beforehand.
Posted By: Bryce Mulvey

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/14/13 11:36 PM

We have sent a lot of sets out the door. I now we will be hearing some results once the snow melts and I can't wait. We are still trying to keep up with the demand and we getting a handle on it slow but surely.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/14/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

Getting ready to run at Rockingham in a few weeks, gonna try to get the new Lenny at UCC tweaked Dynamic converter in there beforehand.

sorry to go off track but what did it cost to have your converter tweaked by Lenny? i have a 8 inch i want to send off and have the stall changed but not sure who to go with. please pm me if that would be better for you. also good luck on the new cars first outing.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/15/13 01:08 AM

Yes, I am definitely interested to see how these perform on a variety of combos, especially in comparison to say some eddy's or what not...Good to see that business is jammin too!

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/15/13 02:06 AM

Mopar65,

Can't say since I bought it off another Moparts Member but I have talked to Lenny about doing some other work for me.

Everything I've heard about UCC is top notch.

The Airwolfs and the Vert will be getting a work out this season though!!
Posted By: 72 Dodge demon

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/16/13 05:33 AM

I should have a set Monday and hopefully on the avenger and ready to run Sunday.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/18/13 01:53 PM

I'm hoping for another 50-ish HP over my ported Shady Dell stage 2's; apples to apples, they should raise the powerband another 400-500 rpm, the SDII's were all done by around 6100 on my 414, with 4.56's I was out of RPM and gear by 1100' and that was on a part throttle launch check-out pass. To be fair the 4.56 set-up was intended for 1/8th mile. The SDSS's are great heads for the $$$ though, HUGE improvement over bowl ported/Vj'ed Eddies.

I swapped to the Airwolfs and also dropped the gear down to 4.10, also re-did the 904 to the low gear set to keep my 1st gear pretty close to identical.

Should be fun either way, net-net the Airwolfs were only a net $500-ish upgrade after selling the SDSS's.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/30/13 09:41 PM

Just got home swapped the stage two Hughes engine Eldelbrocks for the airwolfs. I ran a comps cam solid lift and switched to a bullet roller. Everything off the edelbrocks bolted to the airwolfs. The last pass last year the car ran a 6.03. The first pass today was a 5.96 spinning and letting off the big end. Then a 5.86 and 5.87 cutting out on the top end at 116.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/30/13 11:12 PM

I will def be looking into a set when I get around to building my long armed LA...

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/30/13 11:58 PM

Gonna try them out next week, motor is definately sharper in the higher ranges though, that's a good sign.
Posted By: Sherminator

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 02:15 AM

what is a airwolf head
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 03:33 AM

Quote:

what is a airwolf head

Fellatio in a Helicopter...
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 04:05 AM

Quote:

what is a airwolf head

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post7398767
Posted By: MattW

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what is a airwolf head

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 02:22 PM

Quote:

Just got home swapped the stage two Hughes engine Eldelbrocks for the airwolfs. I ran a comps cam solid roller and switched to a bullet roller. Everything off the edelbrocks bolted to the airwolfs. The last pass last year the car ran a 6.03. The first pass today was a 5.96 spinning and letting off the big end. Then a 5.86 and 5.87 cutting out on the top end at 116.

Thats what im talking about!

So definitely an improvement, which is always nice to see when making a switch...what was the issue with cutting out? Fuel?

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what is a airwolf head

LMAO!!! Funniest post I have ever seen on moparts since I have joined here LOL
Posted By: Ian

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

Just got home swapped the stage two Hughes engine Eldelbrocks for the airwolfs. I ran a comps cam solid roller and switched to a bullet roller. Everything off the edelbrocks bolted to the airwolfs. The last pass last year the car ran a 6.03. The first pass today was a 5.96 spinning and letting off the big end. Then a 5.86 and 5.87 cutting out on the top end at 116.

may be the cam change made the differences what was the specs before and now
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 04:19 PM

Ill go ahead and throw my two cents worth in here.
I have no doubt that Bryce is putting out a decent head. The problem with the testing most racers do is like we are seeing here. A guy normally builds his engine based on a total combination of parts,so when you step up to a better flowing cylinder head,you would be crazy not to upgrade the camshaft to take advantage of it.
Then like Bobby did,change the torque converter to help round out the package .
Its not that the Airwolf heads aren't going to work better than a stage 2 Edelbrock done by somebody else with your old combination but who wouldn't want everything at its best?
Keith
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

Ill go ahead and throw my two cents worth in here.
I have no doubt that Bryce is putting out a decent head. The problem with the testing most racers do is like we are seeing here. A guy normally builds his engine based on a total combination of parts,so when you step up to a better flowing cylinder head,you would be crazy not to upgrade the camshaft to take advantage of it.
Then like Bobby did,change the torque converter to help round out the package .
Its not that the Airwolf heads aren't going to work better than a stage 2 Edelbrock done by somebody else with your old combination but who wouldn't want everything at its best?
Keith

It all comes down to the total package.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 05:02 PM

Keith,

I totally agree with what you are advising.

In my own case I used the following logic...

The intake port is visibly larger than my old SDSS stage 2's and as a result I went even deeper in porting my old Vic 340. There's little point in putting more head on a motor if the intake can't keep pace, (at least up to the limits of the cam/ flow window). Additionally, to me the standard Edelbrock port is too small for a 414 and though the torque is phenomina, the top end power above 5800 or so seemed to tail off. I needed more flow up top and I figured another 500 or so RPM of flash would help get to the sweet spot sooner with no downside.

I also went from a standard gear 904 with 4.56's to a low gear 904 and 4.10's....the SDSS2's wouldn't pull to the stripe without nosing over. To be fair this swap was in the works before the Airwolfs anyway. I do most 1/8 mile here so mathematically the 1-2 is still close for 1/8 mile but the taller top gear works better in the 1/4

I also went to the rear sump Milodon dragster pan with a built-in windage tray to replace my old 318 truck pan with no tray.

But on the cam, one interesting thing about the Airwolfs is the flow ( based on published numbers anyway-2 different benches of course) for the Airwolfs exceeds the peak flow of the old heads by around only .430 lift and by only .550 lift they flow 96% (306.5 to 319) of what they do at .800 lift, so even with my mild lift .585/.570 gross 261/267 @.050 duration solid roller there's still much to gain (though not everything). I may go to 1.6 or 1.65 rockers later but with a stock block 414 600-ish is already pretty close to the limits of where I'd take it anyway.

I also only have 1 5/8 headers (since I know they fit the Rocky's "unique" engine bay) but I did weld in a 3 1/2" collector and 3 1/2" to 3" Flowmaster long reducer over the winter. Not as good as a "proper" size header set but...it fits and it's what I have

Bryce publishes a 322 peak flow but that is at 1.00" lift and to me, anyone running anything much over .700-.750 is going to want to run a bigger race port offset runner head (like a SDSS ported W9) anyway.

I'd like to see what these would do with the pushrod pinch removed and an offset rocker!
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 03/31/13 10:53 PM

What's the weight of this car that's going 5.8's?

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/01/13 02:09 AM

All right now for the ones that don't know I have a 72 demon I use to race then had the avenger built. I took the engine out of the demon and put in the avenger when the motor I built had pin hole in the cylinder. Now I wanted to get the demon going so I took the edel off the avenger. The avenger is running a 4" stroke and 4.04 bore with diamond pistons .015 in the hole for a 413 at 11 to 1 compression. Engine builders I'm I right? I took the edel off and the comp solid .585 lift out. I had Bryce put on my bullet springs and bolted on the air wolfs out of the box and installed the bullet .640 roller that I had ordered for the edelbrocks about a year ago. I used the same 1.6 hughes rocker arms. This is in a 2140 pound tube chassis car same converter and gears. I wont say were the power came from but I wasn't planning on that much of a gain.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/01/13 03:24 AM

Not apples to apples.

I have a set of Curtis Boggs ported Edelbrocks on my pump gas 408, it's gone 6.57 at 3260#. If someone want's to send me a set of ported airwolfs I'll be happy to test them.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/01/13 06:10 PM

Unfortunately, mine's not going to be an apples to apples either since I've done so many other changes to my combo as well. Plus the fact that I never really made a full throttle pass with the Shady Dells. They were great heads too.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/08/13 03:17 PM

Ran the Rocky 414 with the Airwolfs on Saturday but only got to make 1 drivetrain test run and 1 semi-aborted pass (my Tach quit it the water box) . As I said it was the first run with the new Heads, a new converter, new gearset in the trans and new rear gears. Still the car ran a short shifted (maybe 5800 ) 7.313 @ 96.09 at the 1/8th and an 11.446 @ 116.59 letting out of the throttle at 1200'. I sensed the new heads wanted more jet than the old SDSS stage 2's since the jetting was already borderline lean I decided not to push it.

There were several delays at Rockingham and I couldn't stay all day so Unfortunately I won't be able to get a full test until next time out. I had hoped to get a lot more laps in and the weather was near perfect but the racing was pretty poorly organized.

I'm still figuring out the new converter ( only hit a 1.71 on the 11.44 pass and I know it's good for a sub 1.50 once I find the sweet spot ) and assuming I run a ~6600 rpm shift point with the fatter jetting, I'm confident the car will run 6.80's in the 1/8th and at least a 10.90 @ 121 or so next time. But so far I'm real happy with where the combination will be with a little more tuning.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 06:26 PM

Wize,

What does the rocky weigh?

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 06:40 PM

About 2925 w/me (230) in it.

My 116.6 run might have been more like 119 if I didn't let out of it, I was banking on getting more runs in that day but it wasn't to be. I just wanted to get back to the pits and trace down the Tach issue. The power felt good considering the slow 1.71 60

Still figuring out the launch and where the vert wants to be. CudaDan said he FB'ed it to 3200 and let it eat, my car likes to be shocked off idle but that was with a much tighter flash than what I have now. The CG is right under my seat I just got to find the sweet spot. Here's a kinda grainy video:

http://youtu.be/b3hVJFuvrRM

Fun car to drive, it goes straight as an arrow.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 06:44 PM

Quote:

About 2925 w/me (230) in it.

My 116.6 run might have been more like 119 if I didn't let out of it, I was banking on getting more runs in that day but it wasn't to be. I just wanted to get back to the pits and trace down the Tach issue. The power felt good considering the slow 1.71 60

Still figuring out the launch and where the vert wants to be. CudaDan said he FB'ed it to 3200 and let it eat, my car likes to be shocked off idle but that was with a much tighter flash than what I have now. The CG is right under my seat I just got to find the sweet spot. Here's a kinda grainy video:

http://youtu.be/b3hVJFuvrRM

Fun car to drive, it goes straight as an arrow.

You have more problems getting that thing down the track than a funny car on a greasy track......just let her eat....
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 06:46 PM

I think it should go a lot faster than high 10's with that power plant all sorted out. Mine was 500 pounds heavier and made less power and still went 10.75@123.

Hang on

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 06:54 PM

All I need is a good night of T&T to make several passes
And see what it'll do. It definately needed more jet and I'm glad I didn't go for 'broke'.

Yeah it should go easy mid 10's all dialed in....but high 10's is probably all I want to tune for. I always liked 1/8th mile bracket racing in that 6.90 range, quick enough to have fun.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 06:57 PM

Quote:

All I need is a good night of T&T to make several passes
And see what it'll do. It definately needed more jet and I'm glad I didn't go for broke.

lol....not bustin your chops, but didnt you think to fatten it up before you put it on the trailer. jet swap takes 5 minutes. Not a big secret a stouter motor will want more fuel.....

Good luck on your next outing

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 07:02 PM

Don,

Yeah, no doubt but I really just wanted to get a baseline in the 1/8th since that's what's around here. I had the jets for the next pass but the long delays/oil downs just got me frustrated with the whole event.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 07:08 PM

Come down to Darlington on a Wednesday night and we'll tune that thing in.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 07:13 PM

Quote:

Don,

Yeah, no doubt but I really just wanted to get a baseline in the 1/8th since that's what's around here. I had the jets for the next pass but the long delays/oil downs just got me frustrated with the whole event.

well hurry up darn it, real curious how those airwolfs perform

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 07:15 PM

That's the plan, Chip!

How does next Wednesday look for you?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 07:27 PM

Next Wednesday should be good. As long as I know on Tuesday morning, so I don't schedule anything for work, I should be able to make it.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 07:33 PM

Sounds like a plan, buddy!!

Thanks!
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 08:29 PM

Bobby,
What did that critter run before the changes? Sounds like its already making more steam but I cant remember for sure where it was before ?
Keith

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 08:50 PM

Not apples to apples, besides the heads, the car has a new low gear 904 and 4.10 gears, not to mention a new oil pump and pan. It ran an 11.81 at 114.4 last time out and that wasn't anything close to a full throttle pass by any means either.

What guys need to understand (and hopefully appreciate) is I have never and will never make a 'Bawls to the Walls" pass right off the trailer with all new parts without making at least a few check-out passes to run the trans and gears through and make sure everything is working right. Make an easy pass or 2, Check for leaks, check the plugs, tweak and then go at it.

I've seen so many times guys do dumb things (make false assumptions all was perfect) like frag expensive transmissions because the guy at the shop didn't readjust the band screw properly, I'm very conservative even when I' m 110% sure everything is right. Patience is a virtue, especially when my $$$$ (and especially my AZZ )is invested

Once I've made sure the car runs and tracks straight down the track (btw, I also made some good T bar adjustments, but you don't KNOW they're right until you test) before I'm ready to beat the snot out of it

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

Not apples to apples, besides the heads, the car has a new low gear 904 and 4.10 gears, not to mention a new oil pump and pan. It ran an 11.81 at 114.4 last time out and that wasn't anything close to a full throttle pass by any means either.

What guys need to understand (and hopefully appreciate) is I have never and will never make a 'Bawls to the Walls" pass right off the trailer with all new parts without making at least a few check-out passes to run the trans and gears through and make sure everything is working right. Make an easy pass or 2, Check for leaks, check the plugs, tweak and then go at it.

I've seen so many times guys do dumb things (make false assumptions all was perfect) like frag expensive transmissions because the guy at the shop didn't readjust the band screw properly, I'm very conservative even when I' m 110% sure everything is right. Patience is a virtue, especially when my $$$$ (and especially my AZZ )is invested

Once I've made sure the car runs and tracks straight down the track (btw, I also made some good T bar adjustments, but you don't KNOW they're right until you test) before I'm ready to beat the snot out of it

So did you ever get even one " good" pass on the old setup???

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 09:19 PM

Not really because the Airwolf deal kinda fell in my lap the pass did show me #1 the old heads wouldn't pull much above 6k on my 11.8:1 414 roller motor and #2 4.56's were too short for the 1/4 with the combo.

Last yr I averaged 60 work hours a week, sucks for my hobby time but even worse for family time. Got to the track once in June on a hot humid night.

Now that I have more time the Rocky fun should begin, a few yrs later than I wanted it to but....

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Not really because the Airwolf deal kinda fell in my lap the pass did show me #1 the old heads wouldn't pull much above 6k on my 11.8:1 414 roller motor and #2 4.56's were too short for the 1/4 with the combo.

Last yr I averaged 60 work hours a week, sucks for my hobby time but even worse for family time. Got to the track once in June on a hot humid night.

Now that I have more time the Rocky fun should begin, a few yrs later than I wanted it to but....

Those stage 2 eddies should pull well above 6k on a 414 motor....

I had a 416 eddie motor( also 11.8 compression with ross flattops) with a flat tappet cam( heads were hensley stage two ported and peaked at 274cfm at 600 lift)
I shifted that at 6600, trapped at almost 7k. At 3450 pounds it went 10.70's quite often in decent air at 123+.
You had something else going on if those heads wouldnt pull past 6000 rpm. mine was with those dinky tti step headers 1 5/8 step to 1 3/4, and mufflers. ran 4.30 gears and 28 inch tires, it did kinda run out of steam the last 150 foot or so.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 09:41 PM

That's what it felt like the last 150-200 feet, it would obviously rev but you could tell they were out of steam

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/09/13 09:48 PM

Quote:

That's what it felt like the last 150-200 feet, it would obviously rev but you could tell they were out of steam

yep, just ran out of port at about 6500 or so in high gear.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 04/27/13 06:23 PM

I have been making small changes to the avenger. Closed the gap on the plugs,went up in jet sizes,and changed the shift point to 7400. Last night went a 5.83 off the trailer to a new best of 1.20 sixty foot,at 120 for a 5.79 in the 1/8th. I believe when it is all tuned in we may see a 75 out of it. So far the heads have not givin any troubles with leaks or anything. After the first weekend out Brice called to see if I had any problems with the heads and even gave some advise to help with the top end miss. They may not be the best head out there but it is a good head for the average drag racer that doesn't want to have to look up a bunch of different parts.
Posted By: Bryce Mulvey

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 05/01/13 06:12 PM

thanks for the updates, sound like your car is really flying

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 05/02/13 11:55 PM

Bryce I will give you a call as soon as I get it to make a full
pass without cutting out. I'm planning on getting out tomorrow night if it don't rain. If you got any more ideals on the miss call me and I'll give them a try. Getting a 5.79 from a 6.03 with heads and cam was great. I'm hoping a 4.25 crank and 13 to 1 compression will make it run like I wanted when I started this project but the kids collage had to come first.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 09/18/13 01:44 AM

BUMP! Anyone else have numbers to post up? Or atleast get their heads into their hands?
Posted By: rolling 340

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 09/19/13 02:04 AM

I ordered mine on Monday August 26th was told they would be shipped on Friday which they were. They arrived on Sept.5th I was surprised considering labor day.

Re: Anyone using the Airwolf heads yet? - 10/08/13 02:57 AM

BUMP

Anybody get these on a motor yet and get some results? Just wondering how they stack up to a ported Eddy head?
© 2024 Moparts Forums