Moparts

Gonna give NGK plugs a shot.

Posted By: 383man

Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 05:06 AM

I decided to get NGK plugs instead of Autolites just to try them and see how I like them. I slapped the fresh set in yesterday and today was so nice in Md I took the 63 for a cruise. Running great and I hope to get to the track in the next month or two. Seems alot of people like the NGK's so I thought I would give them a try. They cross referenced the Autolite AR3935's I was using with the EZ heads. Ron
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 05:13 AM

I ended up with NGK's on my B1 engine. It was all they had on the shelf. They seem to be holding up for me and not fouling out.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 05:25 AM

that's all i use for myself and customers cars Ron

Tex
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 06:07 AM

i've been using autolites but if what i've been seeing is correct they are now making some of their plugs in china. IF the race plugs i've been using are not made in USA i will be using the NGK equivalent without hesitation 2Ē
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 02:57 PM

Switched to NGK in the Colt after over 30 years of having Autolite to lite the fire.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 03:20 PM

I use NGKR5671A-10 FOR MY Edelbrock RPM's 76 cc 12.7.1 comp. They are the hottest none projected tip they do. I think the 35 is the Autolite equivalent.
Mick
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 03:30 PM

I've run NGK's for years Ron......wouldn't use anything else anymore. R5671a-8's I beleive.
I learned my lesson years ago when riding dirt bikes etc.....put ANYTHING but an NGK in your ride, and chances are you're gonna be looking for a ride home!!!
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 06:03 PM

Been using 'em for a lot of years...
Posted By: Eric

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 06:10 PM

Used them for one season...went back to Autolite
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 09:36 PM

Does the NGK have the cut back electrode like the Autolite & Champion?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 09:46 PM

Quote:

No they have a v grove.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 11:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No they have a v grove.

Thanks!

With a full length electrode wouldn't the plugs need to be index? That is one of the reason's I have always like the cut back electrode no need to index the plugs.I guess my next question would be is a plug with a full length electrode as good as one with a cut back electrode in a Race engine?
These are only questions,I try & never pass up a chance to learn more on anything that is related to a race engine.

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 11:48 PM

Quote:

I've run NGK's for years Ron......wouldn't use anything else anymore. R5671a-8's I beleive.
I learned my lesson years ago when riding dirt bikes etc.....put ANYTHING but an NGK in your ride, and chances are you're gonna be looking for a ride home!!!

The Autolites that Indy told me to run crossed over to R5671A-7. Of course I cant feel no difference but it is running very good. As long as it goes as fast with them I will be happy. Course a little faster never hurts. Ron

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/11/13 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No they have a v grove.

Thanks!

With a full length electrode wouldn't the plugs need to be index? That is one of the reason's I have always like the cut back electrode no need to index the plugs.I guess my next question would be is a plug with a full length electrode as good as one with a cut back electrode in a Race engine?
These are only questions,I try & never pass up a chance to learn more on anything that is related to a race engine.

I have never indexed mine when I ran the standard Autolites. I really think its a waste of time for a street car like mine as I have never heard of anyone really going much if any faster with indexing. Its more a pain in the butt to me with marking and shimming the plugs. A few are tuff enough to get at without that hassle.
If I get back to the track I will get an idea of how they work compared to the short strap racing Autolite plugs. Ron
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 12:15 AM

The standard Autolites are now made in China.

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 12:18 AM

I tried the 7's and the 9's but found they fouled too easy, no problems with the 10's though. I do have more comp than you though Ron.
Mick

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 12:19 AM

Quote:

I tried the 7's and the 9's but found they fouled too easy, no problems with the 10's though. I do have more comp than you though Ron.
Mick

I am at 10.6 comp. And thanks as thats good to know. Ron

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 12:22 AM

If you look on mancini's site, they show the heat range for the differnt comp motors.
Mick
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 01:14 AM

Quote:

NGK's are Japanese.. Highly recommended by Monte Smith..

No-Good-Kind..

5671A-8 #4552 for my B1's (EDIT: #4554 as per Chucko)

Chris..
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

NGK's are Japanese.. Highly recommended by Monte Smith..

No-Good-Kind..

5671A-8 #4552 B1's

Chris..

They are a durable plug and stay cleaner than the Autolites did at least for me.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 04:59 AM

Chris, my 8 heat range NGK's are 4554.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 06:52 AM

Quote:

Chris, my 8 heat range NGK's are 4554.

You are CORRECT.. I fixed it..

Chris..
Posted By: Mopar Guy

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 09:59 AM

Ron im no expert of any kind but the R5671A-7 are race plugs and i tryed them on my 505 stroker ! Itīs a street engine and i gues i rev it to about 6000rpm and those plugs dident burn clean and when i just tryed the Champion RC12YC the engine realy replyed to it and they are mutch cleaner.

I run a MP ignition elecronic and RPM heads to a 6-Pack and about 11,5-1 and a 4 speed trans from Passon.

If you like i can post pic of my plugs !? When you compare that race plug to a std you can see that the electrode is more coverd by the plug on the NGK race plug you are trying.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 12:16 PM

Ron Ive run Autolites since the 60s.We userd NGKs at work and they always seemed to work.Put a set in my 440 with 12.5 domes and Dominator.The Autolites seemed to miss after a while.NGKs have been in for 3 years at least.Still runs great and its street driven for the most.I pull them and they still look good.Rocky

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 09:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have been told the 7's are hotter the the 8's , 9's and on up with NGK. In other words the lower # the hotter plug with NGK's ? Ron
Posted By: SuperStock68Dart

Re: Gonna give NGK plugs a shot. - 03/12/13 10:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I have been told the 7's are hotter the the 8's , 9's and on up with NGK. In other words the lower # the hotter plug with NGK's ? Ron

That is correct.
© 2024 Moparts Forums